Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-03-2011, 07:37 AM   #11
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
This is what Jayco has to say about the Thermal Package. On the website itself, it says:

Thermal Package:
Insulated, heated and enclosed underbelly, Foil insulation in roof and slideout floors

In the downloadable brochure, it says that the stock roof has...

Fiberglass insulation (R-7):
With optional thermal package, increases R-value to 22

Frankly, the $443 price of the thermal package itself is more than well worth it. The enclosed underbelly may not seem like a a big deal but it will help keep out critters, protect the under side when in transit, and reduce the chance of freeze damage to your tanks and plumbing.
Hey Jeannie, thanks for the info. I could not find that for some reason. So is it my understanding that only the Jayco's with the Thermal Package has the enclosed underbelly? I thought that all TT's underbelly was enclosed just to keep the critters out. I'll have to get the dealer to verify that the one without the Thermal Package is or is not enclosed.

You guys are really making me lean hard toward the more insulated one.

slogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:24 AM   #12
Site Team
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Unless you want to order a new TT (which probably would cost more), .
Once we got a quote from RVDirect, I learned that it was the same price whether you ordered or not (this was summer 2009; may not be the case today). The only addition to price would be to pay for shipping

Denise, DH, grandkids, and two rescue pups
-2016 Jay Flight 29QBS Elite
-2016 Ford F-250 XLT 4x2, 6.2L EFI V8, 4.30 Elec Lock, Heavy duty Alt

CLICK HERE to save 30% $$ or more off your next Jayco RV
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:20 PM   #13
Originally Posted by slogan View Post
...So is it my understanding that only the Jayco's with the Thermal Package has the enclosed underbelly? I thought that all TT's underbelly was enclosed just to keep the critters out...
It depends on the line. On the higher lines, such as the Eagles, the enclosed underbelly is standard. It's an option included with the Jayflight line when one gets the Thermal package (according to Jayco). I can't speak for the other lines since I haven't researched them (the 33RLDS was one I had considered buying).
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:16 PM   #14
For no more money than you are talking about the comfort feature will more than pay for it IMHO. Break the money you are talking bout down in a lifespan you plan to keep the camper and it will be mighty small by then. It would take only a couple of times needing it and not having it to pay for itself mentally. Again IMHO.

Now MHO and a dollar might get you a cup of coffee somewhere.
Dewayne & Judy
2006 Chev 2500 D/A, LBZ, CC, 4x4, SRW, SB
2008 Cedar Creek 30RKTS W/3 slide
PullRite 18k Superglide
Bainbridge, Ga. Extreme Southwest Georgia
Retired: Dewayne 04-22-2010, Judy 01-2011
Mudflaps Camping Club Website http://mudflaps.freeforums.org
A local camping club for S Al, S Ga, N Fl campers
ldlogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:42 PM   #15
It sounds as if you don't need the package $1500 worth. Your climate is mild, 13,500 ac is adequate, you don't want the electric stabilizers, you can add the tongue jack yourself for well under 200. It's money you can use for an EMS and other stuff you'll want/need. I'd buy it for resale value, but as others wondered, how long do you plan to keep it. You might push hard to have it included in the price they've given you, unless you truly feel that would be unreasonable. I'd guess sales will be dropping off further now that Labor Day is here. Just as with automobiles, if you don't get this one, there are a thousand more down the street. Enjoy whatever you get.
'11 Eagle 320RLDS
'02 F350 PSD Dually 4WD
DW's Ride, '13 Expedition
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:09 AM   #16
Insulation also keeps you cool in the summer.

I live in Wyoming. Camping in the mountains can be uncomfortably cool. The extra insulation is a good bargin up here.

I just ordered out my 19RD with the insulation package.
Wyotraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:10 PM   #17
I have a 322FKS Eagle without the thermal package, but has a 15m a/c. Spend the money on the extra insulation. It was not an available option in the 2010 year. I had a 2004 Eagle with "double insulation" and we camped @ zero and no tank or freezing issues. Have had out new 201o in 15 degrees and the furnace runs a lot, but we are warm. THe Eagle models have heated tanks, but not the valves as standard. As others have said, this is one option you can't add later.

I agree with the jacks, I would gladly trade my Electric Awning for a manual one!
buckeyejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:53 PM   #18
I just picked up my Jayco 19RD in Ellensburg, WA. Temps were down to about 15 degrees. I got the special insulation package. After a couple days in the TT at that temp I attempted to dump the black water. All was OK. When I attempted to dump the grey water nothing came out. I took it back to the dealer and found out only the portion of the grey water pipe that stuck out was frozen. The fresh water was fine with no freezing problems.

My plan is to wrap that approx 3 ft section of pipe in aluminum metal tape for heat distribution. Then apply some heat tape to that area, insulation over that heat tape, then duct tape as a final layer. Nothing else froze in the 15 degree weather. On my trip home I dumped RV anti-freeze in the grey water tank and used it anyway. It did not freeze up when I dumped when arriving home in 20 degree weather. My black water and fresh water tank was fine and never had any problems.

In Wyoming we have extreme weather and my plan is to plug in the heat tape on that portion of pipe as needed to keep that 3 foot portion and the valve clear of ice.
Wyotraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #19
We are currently looking at a Jay Flight that has the Thermal insulation and a 15K AC unit. We camp from April - Halloween. I'd say the coldest might be about 40 at night and mid 90's during the summer sun. Basically ALL of our camping is at the beach with no shade.

In our x17z we had no problem staying warm or cold depending on the season. The only exceptions would be when you were in the bunks when it was at either extreme of the temperature range. It could be a little cold in the bunks in spring fall and a little warmer in the summer. Nothing crazy, but there was a difference. This was with extra heating in the camper. Oh, and the bunks would definitely heat up in the summer during sunrise. That's what would wake you up in the summer.

I can only imagine the included thermal package would help you. It would keep the camper warmer in the cooler months and the furnace wouldn't run as much. In the same respect, it would keep the camper cooler in the summer when the AC is running. This is especially good for us since we never have shade.
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS - 2013 1500 Ram Big Horn
2013 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH - 2010 V8 Tundra

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:34 PM   #20
Check the fridge size too. Usually the maxed out units come with a slightly larger fridge.

I would definitely take the one with the thermal package. As others have said, you can't easily add the foil and enclosed underbelly.

Enrico and Donna + 2 kids
RAM 2500 + Jayco Jay Flight 25BHS
Mods Done:
Black tank Quick-e Flush, MaxxAir Vent cover, TV bracket and LCD TV, added Slideout awning, bunk ladder, added socket and reading light to top bunk, added bathroom fan switch near light switch, insulated all externally accessible storage, sealed pass through storage from interior of trailer, LED lights throughout, added LED lights to storage compartments
EnricoG is offline   Reply With Quote