Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-02-2011, 10:08 AM   #1

Quick Question about Thermal Package w/Foil

Hello all,

I am looking at purchasing a Jay Flight 24FBS and have found a couple of dealers within a 5 hour drive that have a 2011 model on their lot. The difference in the two is one has the Thermal Packagae w/foil, electrical stabilizers, electric tongue jack and a 15k AC pkg. The other only has the 13.5K pkg. The price difference between the two is about $1500 and was wondering if the Thermal Package w/foil is that much of an improvement. The AC portion I'm not too concerned about due to the TT only being 24' (not including tongue) but was curious if it was worth the additional funds to have that package alone. I do not like the electricl stabilizers and would rather have the manual scissor type so that's a positive for the bare bones one. Both have the same interior so that's a wash. Any opinions here would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott
slogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:24 AM   #2

It depends on how you plan to use it.

How you intend to use the TT may answer this question more. Will you be camping year round with greater temperature extremes, or will you be camping mostly during summer months, also what areas will you be using your TT? What is the average when you camp and how does the climate change there?
If you will be using your TT in sub freezing temperatures, or extreme heat with minimal shade options the thermal package will probably be appreciated more. If you will be mostly in moderate climates the thermal package will make your unit more efficient, but it probably won't be as big of a deal.
We originally were only planning to use our TT in moderate to hotter weather, but we usually seek shade or partial shade. Our TT has the thermal package and it has come in handy when we needed to boondock at a summer camp we support (little available shade) and when we went to our lake site last Christmas and even though we are on the SC/GA border, it snowed. We were very comfortable and warm with minimal usage of LP.

2008 (40th Anniversary) Jay Flight G2 32BHDS
2011 F250 XLT Extended Cab 6.2L

Doreen and Rocky
3 kidlets
1 princess puppy
1 feral kitty
1 boar guinea pig
dorayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:04 AM   #3

Hello dorayme and thanks for the reply. Those are very valid points that I should have included in my original post and will add them now. The type of camping that we do generally starts in late Spring and concludes around Christmas time here in SC. We typically do not camp when temps are freezing or below but there has been occasions that in November/December that we have gotten fairly cold while out on an extended weekend trip but the days generally heat back up to around 60ish. As far as Summer time camping I too look for either higher altitudes or shady camp sites, we really do not care for sites that are out in the baking sun from morning to sun down. Also, the areas that we visit are places like Charleston, SC, NC mountains, Florida from time to time, Georgia mountains and some TN mountains. And of course some locations near by where we live in Upstate SC.

I don't want to sell myself short by not going with the Thermal Pkg but at the same time I don't want to waste any unnecessary funds on it that could be allocated for camping trips etc... So excluding the other add-ons that the TT has (electrical stabilizers, power tongue, 15k AC) with the type of camping described would the Thermal Pkg. be a noticeable difference or would that money be better off spent else where. I plan on adding the power tongue jack to the other TT if I go that route anyway and like I stated earlier I do not care for the electric stabilizers. Decisions..........Decisions..........Decisions.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 09-02-2011, 11:46 AM   #4

Scott, we actually camp in similar places to where you describe. The package has come in handy for us, but I wouldn't say it's essential for where you are going to be camping. Our lake property is at iExit 1 (Lake Hartwell, SC) and the camp I mentioned is in Swannanoa, NC (mountains). If you would rarely be in extremes, I would say for the most part the $1500 would be better spent "by you" vs. in your package. Obviously you can have an electric jack (though not under your 2 year warranty) for well under $1500.
Another consideration is that the thermal package, higher BTUAC and power options may make your TT more resell-able. That is if you think you may want to upgrade or sell in the near future.

Doreen and Rocky
3 kidlets
1 princess puppy
1 feral kitty
1 boar guinea pig
Old 09-02-2011, 12:43 PM   #5

One other thing Scott, it looks like if the only things that are different is the electric jacks ($407), electric tongue ($179) and thermal package ($443), then there's around $471 dollars in the more expensive one that they need to add in features to jack the price $1500. . . Just sayin'

eta, even if you add in the $143 to have the 15000 btu ac, still $328 over.

Doreen and Rocky
3 kidlets
1 princess puppy
1 feral kitty
1 boar guinea pig
Old 09-02-2011, 03:42 PM   #6

I live in an extreme climate (duh!) and would never even look at a TT that didn't have the maximum amount of insulation. But even in a mild climate, the thermal package can make the difference in being comfortable or uncomfortable, especially if you are boondocking. Or having to listen to the roar of the A/C or enjoying the quiet.

The thermal package has to be built in when the trailer is built; you cannot add it later. I personally feel you would be better off to get it and not need it than to not get it and wish you had. I know $1500 is a lot of change but, as dorayme pointed, considering the actual cost of the options on that rig, you might be able to use that info to negotiate the $1500 down to a more reasonable amount. I wouldn't hesitate to play one dealer against the other.

One reason the "bare bones" rig is so much cheaper may be the dealer may be having a hard time unloading it because most people want the options.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorayme View Post
One other thing Scott, it looks like if the only things that are different is the electric jacks ($407), electric tongue ($179) and thermal package ($443), then there's around $471 dollars in the more expensive one that they need to add in features to jack the price $1500. . . Just sayin'

eta, even if you add in the $143 to have the 15000 btu ac, still $328 over.

I agree that there is some funds unaccounted for but I don't think I mentioned this earlier but the $1500 price difference also takes into account that the bare bones one would have a Barker 3500lb tongue jack installed as well as a ladder. The only difference then would be the 15k AC and the Thermal Package. Ummmmmm, I don't want to make it all about the money but it really is all about the money to a degree.

Scott
Old 09-02-2011, 07:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I live in an extreme climate (duh!) and would never even look at a TT that didn't have the maximum amount of insulation. But even in a mild climate, the thermal package can make the difference in being comfortable or uncomfortable, especially if you are boondocking. Or having to listen to the roar of the A/C or enjoying the quiet.

The thermal package has to be built in when the trailer is built; you cannot add it later. I personally feel you would be better off to get it and not need it than to not get it and wish you had. I know $1500 is a lot of change but, as dorayme pointed, considering the actual cost of the options on that rig, you might be able to use that info to negotiate the $1500 down to a more reasonable amount. I wouldn't hesitate to play one dealer against the other.

One reason the "bare bones" rig is so much cheaper may be the dealer may be having a hard time unloading it because most people want the options.

So in your opinion that extra amount (as little as it is) of insulation and the foil makes that much difference in the comfort factor? I think I read somewhere that the Thermal Package adds about R2 more of insulation, has anyone heard/read that before? I'm sure it helps but to what degree is my question.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 09-02-2011, 08:18 PM   #9

I will never buy another unit w/o the package but .....

1) We just back from camping in August in 100 degree weather
2) We stay out a lot in January/February when it gets down to the upper teens to to mid 20's. No issues with our fresh water or holding tanks freezing.

The point is, a unit is much more saleable with the package. And even on those 40 degree nights, you burn less propane. And on those 100 degree days, in full sun no shade, our a/c held a 22 degree differential. Wonder what it would have done w/o the package?
Old 09-03-2011, 05:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by slogan View Post
So in your opinion that extra amount (as little as it is) of insulation and the foil makes that much difference in the comfort factor? I think I read somewhere that the Thermal Package adds about R2 more of insulation, has anyone heard/read that before? I'm sure it helps but to what degree is my question.

Thanks,
Scott
This is what Jayco has to say about the Thermal Package. On the website itself, it says:

Thermal Package:
Insulated, heated and enclosed underbelly, Foil insulation in roof and slideout floors

In the downloadable brochure, it says that the stock roof has...

Fiberglass insulation (R-7):
With optional thermal package, increases R-value to 22

Frankly, the $443 price of the thermal package itself is more than well worth it. The enclosed underbelly may not seem like a a big deal but it will help keep out critters, protect the under side when in transit, and reduce the chance of freeze damage to your tanks and plumbing. The extra insulation (more than R2 in the roof and what I've read about the foil insulation says it is at least R7) is enough to keep the TT significantly more comfortable when the weather swings warmer or cooler without needing to fire up the A/c or the heat. If you need more convincing, try to visit each unit when the outside temperature is the same for both, preferably during the hottest time of day (assuming both are in direct sunlight). Take a thermometer with you so you can see as well as feel the difference.

Unless you want to order a new TT (which probably would cost more), I would try to negotiate with the dealer to get that $1500 difference down to a more palatable figure. Frankly, for a TT that will probably run you around $20k, another $1500 isn't that much more.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:37 AM   #11

Quote:
This is what Jayco has to say about the Thermal Package. On the website itself, it says:

Thermal Package:
Insulated, heated and enclosed underbelly, Foil insulation in roof and slideout floors

In the downloadable brochure, it says that the stock roof has...

Fiberglass insulation (R-7):
With optional thermal package, increases R-value to 22

Frankly, the $443 price of the thermal package itself is more than well worth it. The enclosed underbelly may not seem like a a big deal but it will help keep out critters, protect the under side when in transit, and reduce the chance of freeze damage to your tanks and plumbing.
Hey Jeannie, thanks for the info. I could not find that for some reason. So is it my understanding that only the Jayco's with the Thermal Package has the enclosed underbelly? I thought that all TT's underbelly was enclosed just to keep the critters out. I'll have to get the dealer to verify that the one without the Thermal Package is or is not enclosed.

You guys are really making me lean hard toward the more insulated one.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 09-03-2011, 08:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Unless you want to order a new TT (which probably would cost more), .
Once we got a quote from RVDirect, I learned that it was the same price whether you ordered or not (this was summer 2009; may not be the case today). The only addition to price would be to pay for shipping
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by slogan View Post
...So is it my understanding that only the Jayco's with the Thermal Package has the enclosed underbelly? I thought that all TT's underbelly was enclosed just to keep the critters out...
It depends on the line. On the higher lines, such as the Eagles, the enclosed underbelly is standard. It's an option included with the Jayflight line when one gets the Thermal package (according to Jayco). I can't speak for the other lines since I haven't researched them (the 33RLDS was one I had considered buying).
Old 09-03-2011, 06:16 PM   #14

For no more money than you are talking about the comfort feature will more than pay for it IMHO. Break the money you are talking bout down in a lifespan you plan to keep the camper and it will be mighty small by then. It would take only a couple of times needing it and not having it to pay for itself mentally. Again IMHO.

Now MHO and a dollar might get you a cup of coffee somewhere.
PullRite 18k Superglide
Bainbridge, Ga. Extreme Southwest Georgia
Retired: Dewayne 04-22-2010, Judy 01-2011
Mudflaps Camping Club Website https://mudflaps.freeforums.org
A local camping club for S Al, S Ga, N Fl campers
ldlogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:42 PM   #15

It sounds as if you don't need the package $1500 worth. Your climate is mild, 13,500 ac is adequate, you don't want the electric stabilizers, you can add the tongue jack yourself for well under 200. It's money you can use for an EMS and other stuff you'll want/need. I'd buy it for resale value, but as others wondered, how long do you plan to keep it. You might push hard to have it included in the price they've given you, unless you truly feel that would be unreasonable. I'd guess sales will be dropping off further now that Labor Day is here. Just as with automobiles, if you don't get this one, there are a thousand more down the street. Enjoy whatever you get.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:09 AM   #16

Insulation also keeps you cool in the summer.

I live in Wyoming. Camping in the mountains can be uncomfortably cool. The extra insulation is a good bargin up here.

I just ordered out my 19RD with the insulation package.
Wyotraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:10 PM   #17

I have a 322FKS Eagle without the thermal package, but has a 15m a/c. Spend the money on the extra insulation. It was not an available option in the 2010 year. I had a 2004 Eagle with "double insulation" and we camped @ zero and no tank or freezing issues. Have had out new 201o in 15 degrees and the furnace runs a lot, but we are warm. THe Eagle models have heated tanks, but not the valves as standard. As others have said, this is one option you can't add later.

I agree with the jacks, I would gladly trade my Electric Awning for a manual one!
buckeyejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:53 PM   #18

I just picked up my Jayco 19RD in Ellensburg, WA. Temps were down to about 15 degrees. I got the special insulation package. After a couple days in the TT at that temp I attempted to dump the black water. All was OK. When I attempted to dump the grey water nothing came out. I took it back to the dealer and found out only the portion of the grey water pipe that stuck out was frozen. The fresh water was fine with no freezing problems.

My plan is to wrap that approx 3 ft section of pipe in aluminum metal tape for heat distribution. Then apply some heat tape to that area, insulation over that heat tape, then duct tape as a final layer. Nothing else froze in the 15 degree weather. On my trip home I dumped RV anti-freeze in the grey water tank and used it anyway. It did not freeze up when I dumped when arriving home in 20 degree weather. My black water and fresh water tank was fine and never had any problems.

In Wyoming we have extreme weather and my plan is to plug in the heat tape on that portion of pipe as needed to keep that 3 foot portion and the valve clear of ice.
Wyotraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #19

We are currently looking at a Jay Flight that has the Thermal insulation and a 15K AC unit. We camp from April - Halloween. I'd say the coldest might be about 40 at night and mid 90's during the summer sun. Basically ALL of our camping is at the beach with no shade.

In our x17z we had no problem staying warm or cold depending on the season. The only exceptions would be when you were in the bunks when it was at either extreme of the temperature range. It could be a little cold in the bunks in spring fall and a little warmer in the summer. Nothing crazy, but there was a difference. This was with extra heating in the camper. Oh, and the bunks would definitely heat up in the summer during sunrise. That's what would wake you up in the summer.

I can only imagine the included thermal package would help you. It would keep the camper warmer in the cooler months and the furnace wouldn't run as much. In the same respect, it would keep the camper cooler in the summer when the AC is running. This is especially good for us since we never have shade.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:34 AM   #20

Check the fridge size too. Usually the maxed out units come with a slightly larger fridge.

I would definitely take the one with the thermal package. As others have said, you can't easily add the foil and enclosed underbelly.
Black tank Quick-e Flush, MaxxAir Vent cover, TV bracket and LCD TV, added Slideout awning, bunk ladder, added socket and reading light to top bunk, added bathroom fan switch near light switch, insulated all externally accessible storage, sealed pass through storage from interior of trailer, LED lights throughout, added LED lights to storage compartments
EnricoG is offline   Reply With Quote