Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-10-2017, 10:26 PM   #1

Rain, Cover, Storage - Question

I currently have my TT stored at a "friend's" place. I need to move it to a more permanent storage facility that's about 1.5 hours away. Currently it's covered and protected from the rains that are currently ongoing here in Northern California. To move it I will need to remove said cover obviously so the brake lights can be seen while driving with it hitched up to my tow vehicle.

I need to move it this week - rains are predicted to continue non-stop. Unfortunately I'm going to have to tow it through the rain. When I get to my destination an hour+ away it's still going to be raining. I'd rather not leave the cover off so it can dry once the rains stop, because that means I'll need to drive an hour just to "visit" it and place the cover back on at a later date (once rains have subsided).

Is there anything I need to worry about with placing the cover back on it while it's wet? I bought this one: Travel Trailer Cover Fits 17' - 18' Length | Expedition RV Covers
Equal-i-zer 90000600 Equalizer Hitch; Weight Distrubition with sway control (6k)
armyturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:10 AM   #2

I definitely would not put a cover on a wet camper. You will be trapping all the moisture under the cover which will lead to potential mold issues.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I definitely would not put a cover on a wet camper. You will be trapping all the moisture under the cover which will lead to potential mold issues.
Yah, I figured that and really know better. Just wanted to get a definitive from experienced people. Any issue leaving it uncovered in the rains for a week or two?
Equal-i-zer 90000600 Equalizer Hitch; Weight Distrubition with sway control (6k)
armyturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:27 AM   #4

Think of how long it sat on the sales lot uncovered before you picked it up. Also over the years you'll be camping (uncovered) in inclement weather. They are designed to withstand bad weather for a few weeks.

Be sure to wash away any streaking before you recover it, but it should be fine for a few weeks.

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:55 AM   #5

Having moved between LA and San Diego our camper has been uncovered and outdoors during our ongoing heavy rains here. I see no reason for you to experience problems with a good trailer. Just check it for any water infiltration after your move. If you're good after driving through rain, chances are you'll be fine when it's just sitting.

Until this move ours has always been stored in a covered shed, but has also been our winter home for several years. It's never had a cover on it. I'm not a fan of them. Trapped moisture never leads to good stuff and a loose cover flapping in the breeze can cause damage. Maybe you can rig a kind of car port. Next to its own shed or barn, that's as good protection I can think of.

But putting a cover over a wet trailer is the last thing you want to do.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:49 PM   #6

Personally, I would rather have mine covered. Not because of leaks in the roof but because of exposure to sun, leaves and dirt. A covered trailer just stays cleaner and I've never experienced any damage from a flapping cover or from trapped moisture. I don't think you would experience any problems at all with covering a trailer while it and the cover are wet. They get wet every time it rains anyway. There should be plenty of air flow between the trailer and the cover and I assume you are using a breathable RV cover and not some kind of plastic tarp.

The only problem I can see will be handling a wet RV cover. Those things are heavy enough when dry. Also, I'd never tow a trailer with the cover on except maybe to the other side of the lot. Never down the highway.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:01 AM   #7

So long as the cover is breathable you should be fine. Looking at the details for that cover it does state that it is breathable. Last season I had to put my ADCO Tyvek cover on while it was wet. It was dry when I put it on this year. So far I've seen no difference when I've opened the slide flap and checked on things. For me covering is primarily to prevent build up of leaves and pine needles from trees surrounding our lot.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 04:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHerzog View Post
Think of how long it sat on the sales lot uncovered before you picked it up. Also over the years you'll be camping (uncovered) in inclement weather. They are designed to withstand bad weather for a few weeks.

Be sure to wash away any streaking before you recover it, but it should be fine for a few weeks.

We lots a cold weather and rain in the NW and only cover the AC. No problems and little to no black streaks. Light wax and wash keeps the black streaks away. I like to have complete access by having no cover IMO. I open and close the slides every couple of weeks, pull it forward 8-12" to keep tires from sitting in one spot, and leave a vent open to keep air moving. So far so good but I haven't had the trailer for years. However I owned a ski boat for years with a cover for the interior with some dry air containers and it looked like new every year.

I have waffled over a cover but so far have decided to not use one. Everyone has there own way of caring for their trailer and that's what's most important that you take care of it...
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 04:57 PM   #9

I swim at a pool at a campground. The pool is heated inside.. Most campers leave their RV's set up all winter . Some use them on weekends . By the piles of snow, I surmise that most do not use them during the winter. One out of 80 had a cover.

What did stun me is that some of them had slides extended and several feet of undisturbed snow around

Ours has no cover. But we are going on the road soon..

The campground just has electric in the winter.. no water or sewage as the temps rarely get above freezing

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote