Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-26-2014, 10:46 PM   #1

Rainier ST Tires - Speed Rating

Our Jay Flight came with Rainier ST tires. I've never heard of these, but have attempted to do a little research. The size we have is 225/75R15 ST. They are 8 ply, load range D, max cold pressure of 65 psi. I know most ST's are speed rated at 65 mph, however these appear that they may be rated a little higher. Only other numbers I can find (besides the obvious ones) that appear to reflect load and speed rating is the 113/108L. I know the 113 = 2540# for single, and the 108 - 2200# for dual. The "L", all I can figure is the speed rating, which in this case would be 75.

Not trying to start a China Bomb thread nor do I care to get into the how fast one drives threads. I have my preferences, but I am trying to figure out what exactly I have now. I can't find much on them, but know that Tredit tire carries them. I have an email in to them to see what info they can provide. I did find a set somewhere else that claimed 75 mph rating as well.

Any help from the tire gooroos out there. I'm used to Goodyear G614's, and I'm far from that now.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:02 AM   #2
Lost in the Woods

I see that Rainier tires are being sold by many dealers and have been around a while. Those markings are the load index/speed rating. The "L" designation = 75 mph. From what I have read speed ratings usually apply to passenger car (P metric) and light truck tires (LT). I just looked at my Maxxis 8008 ST225/75R15 Load Range E tires and there are no load index/speed rating markings on them at all. But they do have Max Load 2830 lbs at 80 psi markings. Apparently there is no speed rating below "L" = 75 mph. My guess is most ST tires are not speed rated so there are no speed rating markings whereas your Rainier tires have achieved an "L" rating so there is a speed rating on them.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:45 AM   #3

This is from a seller's add on "Ebay".

ST175/80R13 LRC 6 PR Rainier ST Radial Trailer Tire 175/80 13 75 MPH Speed Rated
Old 11-27-2014, 10:46 AM   #4

With the international nature of manufacturing we see all kinds of ratings and third party approvals used in ways that no american company would operate. Pure manufacturing sites often have zero engineering support, they build stuff and ship it.

So if you have a blowout at 75mph and the tire gets replaced for free who is going to pay for the trailer damage?

I don't trust ratings/markings.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 10:59 AM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Yea, I drive no faster than about 60 mph on the interstate. The faster you go the more heat is generated by the tires and too much heat is the nemesis of all tires. Every time I stop I use an infrared laser thermometer to check my tires/bearings. Last year I found a brake dragging just after a dealer serviced them. I found it because one wheel was really really hot whereas the others were relatively cool. Backed off the brake and I was good to go on a 1000 mile trip to Key West. If I hand't checked I am certain I would have had serious problems farther down the road and it would have ruined our vacation.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:25 AM   #6
Site Team

I would do some looking for info on the mfr's website. If one exists. They should be able to clear up your questions.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 12:31 PM   #7

Grumpy, I had came across that ebay deal, which is what got me really hunting yesterday. We usually drive 65 with the trailer. But, since I've never seen a ST tire with a speed rating, I got to digging since I saw the "L" on there. Just thought it was odd. Who knows if they are good tires or not. I can't find a manufacturer website for them. Only place I found was Tredit, so I've got a email request to them for more info. My preference is the Maxxis 8008, if I have to run a ST tire on a RV. I might change them out in the spring, or I might leave them on. To be determined.

You definitely can't go by brand as to what is good and what is not. Think Goodyear Marathon ST, vs. Goodyear G614's. 2 totally different animals.

We've been away from the typical RV with ST's for a while, so we've been accustomed to high dollar good tires for a while (On the RV). I've run the china bombs (Towmax, Carlisle, etc) on my goosenecks, car hauler and cargo trailers for years, and never had a failure. All with similar loads and abuse as a RV. However, I won't run them on a RV. RV's and those trailers are 2 different animals as well. I have my reasons. Obviously one is a LOT more money and the damage a tire can cause is day and night from a gooseneck to a RV.

Like mentioned earlier, please do not turn this into one of those china bomb threads. We've been doing this a while, and know all about them, and know what damage they can do. I've been fortunate to catch my few tire failures in time (We do run a TPMS). I am just curious about the Rainier since it's a tire I haven't seen, and it actually had a speed rating on it.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:59 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

BTW, many people may not be aware that big truck tires are usually only rated for 75 mph. So all you Prevost/Marathon drivers need to slow it down!
Old 11-27-2014, 01:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwsmith111 View Post
BTW, many people may not be aware that big truck tires are usually only rated for 75 mph. So all you Prevost/Marathon drivers need to slow it down!
That's why the old KODIAK chassis SENECA'S wouldn't go much over 75.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:14 PM   #10

So true. I don't think many people pay much mind to that. Not taking up for them, but I swear doing 70 in a class A feels like you're doing 45.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
With the international nature of manufacturing we see all kinds of ratings and third party approvals used in ways that no american company would operate. Pure manufacturing sites often have zero engineering support, they build stuff and ship it.

So if you have a blowout at 75mph and the tire gets replaced for free who is going to pay for the trailer damage?

I don't trust ratings/markings.
I agree with this post. Tires are molded in a die. That "L" was likely inscribed in the die by someone who did so on a whim. In my working life, I've seen it happen quite a few times. Then.....the retailer looks at the "L" and thinks it has meaning. IT DOES NOT unless proven by a qualified testing lab. Bottom line, they are no better than the other ST's.

If you want to have some fun, ask around the suppliers for testing lab evidence.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by David472 View Post
I agree with this post. Tires are molded in a die. That "L" was likely inscribed in the die by someone who did so on a whim. In my working life, I've seen it happen quite a few times. Then.....the retailer looks at the "L" and thinks it has meaning. IT DOES NOT unless proven by a qualified testing lab. Bottom line, they are no better than the other ST's.

If you want to have some fun, ask around the suppliers for testing lab evidence.
Its sad but this is the truth of the world we live in. Standards and markings compliance is abused to the point of making them worthless.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
Old 12-01-2014, 12:21 PM   #13

Here's an update. I received an email back from Tredit on the Rainier tires:

John,

The Rainier tire is a tire specific to Tredit, manufactured by a company called Wanda in China. We own the rights to the mold, so anyone with a Rainier tire got it from Tredit originally.

As for the speed rating, they are indeed 65mph. The reason you won’t find any reviews online quite yet is that the tire has been distributed for under a year so the “real-time” test data from consumers haven’t been reported yet. From my end I have seen few issues with the tire, and of those even less were true manufacturer defects.

Adam Deak
Tredit Tire & Wheel
574-293-0581 x163

So, now we know. More than likely, I'll be making the switch to the Maxxis8008 about spring time. I don't like taking gambles any more than the next RVer.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:30 PM   #14

John, do they have test data?

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
Old 12-01-2014, 12:49 PM   #15

I didn't get that deep in my questions in the email, but I don't get any fuzzy feelings from his response. I'm not big on being the test dummy for something with less than a year on the road. They made it the 1100 miles from Indiana, and another 200 to our home, but we all know that can go south quick.

I will respond back to him and ask about the test data just to see what kind of response I get.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:56 PM   #16
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Here's an update. I received an email back from Tredit on the Rainier tires:

John,

The Rainier tire is a tire specific to Tredit, manufactured by a company called Wanda in China. We own the rights to the mold, so anyone with a Rainier tire got it from Tredit originally.

As for the speed rating, they are indeed 65mph. The reason you won’t find any reviews online quite yet is that the tire has been distributed for under a year so the “real-time” test data from consumers haven’t been reported yet. From my end I have seen few issues with the tire, and of those even less were true manufacturer defects.

Adam Deak
Tredit Tire & Wheel
574-293-0581 x163

So, now we know. More than likely, I'll be making the switch to the Maxxis8008 about spring time. I don't like taking gambles any more than the next RVer.
I think I would reply to them and tell them that the tires are marked with an "L" speed rating. This would be a serious safety issue as most people buying the tire would think it is good for 75 mph which apparently it is not.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:03 PM   #17

I have another message in to him, and will post his response. I definitely agree seeing the "L" like I did, causes a false sense of security, even though I don't run 75 mph. Although my original thought in seeing that on the tire was "no way", I had to dig to find out. Sure enough, "no way".
Old 12-01-2014, 01:21 PM   #18

And his response again:

John,

I appreciate your concern on test data and real-world activities with these tires.
They are of course put through tests in both China and here stateside to meet the legal standards and company standards before ever going to the manufacturer level.
As for the “China Bomb,” I’ve of course heard the term. As you may know, all ST tires are Chinese-made (the majority are, rather) and none are American-made. LTs are still relevant, but their manufacturers will at least not come from China (from a Tredit standpoint) but I still only know of the Goodyear G614 LT being American-made. I’ve seen Mexican-made tires that are LTs to take the place of the Chinese tire.
I appreciate your input. We no longer sell the Maxxis and only select sizes on the Michelin LTs anymore.

-Adam

In my original response to him, I noted in a nice way that nobody really wants to be a test dummy for a tire that isn't proven, thus running Maxxis, other proven ST or LT tires and ditching the OEM tires in a lot of cases. I'm not going to dig too much more, but will inform him of the "L" on the sidewall. Though he is responding, I'm not getting the exact info I'm requesting. I know what my comfort level is with these tires, which is minimal at this point. I'll be taking them off and run them on one of our less expensive trailers, or sell them.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:29 PM   #19

It's my opinion that this is the state of things in the tire world today and no different at Tredit than anywhere else. It was nice of him to reply to your questions even though there is nothing in the reply that's useful to me in making a decision. The "L" or any mark for that matter has no meaning in todays world.

That is why forums like this are important.....we tell each other what blows up and what stays together.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
Old 12-01-2014, 02:34 PM   #20
Lost in the Woods

I agree with most that the Maxxis 8008 is a proven great tire as is the Michelin LTX. I put Maxxis 8008s on my 2014 Eagle and scraped the Towmax tires that came on it and I have never looked back. Piece of mind was worth every cent I spent on the Maxxis tires.