Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-08-2017, 12:47 PM   #1

Re-Leveling my Bungalow

I'm very new to the RV world so bear with my question.

Not sure it matters what model as the rules may be the same for all trailers. I have a 2010 40Ft Bungalow on a year round site that we recently purchased. It has been on this same site for approx. 6 years. I noticed when we looked at it the tires on one side are low. I also noticed the front scissor stabilizer jacks as well as the tongue jack, the concrete blocks and wood they sit on have sunken into the ground a bit and are tilted. The trailer is on ground, not a pad.

Ideally, I'd like to inflate the tires (and check the other side) to near proper pressure. then somehow lift the tongue and front scissor jacks one at a time to reset the blocks (lay down a limestone base and level the blocks) then lower the jacks on the new "foundations".

Is there any issue with this plan? Is there an order I should do these in? Any precautions like bring in the slides prior? Have another 5-10 ton jack available? Wheel-chocks?

The rear scissor jacks are in good shape and are solid. I realize I may need to raise/lower them as well to get the trailer back to level.

Looking forward to any/all feedback.

Thanks in advance
cainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:03 PM   #2

If you are leaving it on a permanent site you should get a couple more jacks and remove the wheels. As long as weight is on the wheels you will never be stable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6 Speed Manual
farnik78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:41 PM   #3

After this long, the tires may be bad and no longer hold air. Another reason to remove the wheels.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:15 AM   #4

The process you describe to level the trailer is fine. There is nothing wrong with pulling wheels.

Bring the slides in... when you are jacking and leveling, the slides can get tender over
Time, and there's no need to risk putting them out of alignment while working.

1. Fill air up the tires.
2. Retract all scissor jacks
3. Build your pads
4. Level the trailer fore and aft with tongue jack
5. Level trailer left and right using bottle jacks under the main frame not axles. This process will lift the trailer side to side, and you'll need true supports at the ready... like concrete block, timber cribbing, or jack stands.
6. The scissor jacks that came with the unit are not lift-capable! Those are better labeled as "stabilizers." Do not try to level with just the stabilizers
7. Once on permanent cribbing or jack stands (minimum of 6 points of support) then you could technically pull wheels. Note your (4) stabilizers are IN ADDITION to the (6) jack stands.
Oh and the tongue jack should stay extended as well.

That's how you set a park model up for "permanent" operation. The destination trailer (like the bungalow) is somewhere between a park model and a travel trailer, because park models don't have holding tanks and are often wider than 8 feet. Your "destination" trailer being 8 feet wide was manufactured for moves, albeit infrequent and would of course require almost a commercial tow vehicle.

Good luck

Craig Bailey
New Hampshire
Jayflight 32 BHDS
Chevy 2500HD CC
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote