Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-13-2015, 11:44 AM   #11
After seeing the prices for bike hitch assemblies, I opted to build my own. Purchased a 2" hitch extender, bolts/nuts, steel plumbing short nipples, and used scrap metal I had laying around. Pulled out the welder and had some fun. I welded the back of the hitch extender to a square piece of metal, and bolted that to the TT's frame cross member. I made a support bracket for the 4x4" bumper. The only thing that the bumper does is stabilize the bike rack, the bulk of the work is done by the cross member. It is as solid as a rock. I was standing on the bike rack and there was no movement at all as I tried bouncing up and down.

The only thing left is to take it off, sand blast it and have it powder coated.. ran out of time so it will have to wait until I return in October.

Attached Thumbnails
Bike Rack - Bracket - 1.jpg   Bike Rack - Bracket - 2.jpg   Bike Rack - Bracket - 3.jpg   Bike Rack - Bracket - 4.jpg   Bike Rack - Bracket - 5.jpg  

2013 Jayco Eagle 284BHS
250Watt Grape Solar Panel, MorningStar MPPT 60 Charge Controller
1500 Watt Ramsond PSI, 2 Trojan T145 Batteries (260Ah)
2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album http://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:13 PM   #12
Depending on your Jayco trailer, they do have a bolt on, NOT bumper mounted, receiver accessory. I wouldn't trust the bumper mount designs, but this one actually bolts to the frame and has a 300# limit. We just ordered one for our Jayco. It is about $450 at the dealer, installed. The cost is the part itself, but also shipping. It's heavy. So your price, if it's the Jayco accessory itself, sounds about right. Whatever you do, I'd for sure get something that mounts to the frame rather than the bumper.

luv2drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:49 PM   #13
I bought the Curt brand extendable travel trailer hitch for out Jay Flight 32BHDS. It weighs a ton, is tough, bolts directly to the frame, and supports over 500# in tongue. Whether it's 4 bikes or a luggage carrier full of wood and a generator, it's not moving at all. The bounce is what breaks welds on the bumper mounted types. I bolted mine on in a couple hours because I had to relocate the stabilizers on the rear.

kampfirekid is offline   Reply With Quote