Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-22-2014, 10:38 PM   #1

Rear ladder...

So at the beginning of last season, I had one small boo-boo and backed my rear ladder into a rock and put a pretty good bend in one of the uprights. Still pretty much usable, but I was going to replace it at least for cosmetics. Dealer quoted in the neighborhood of $4-500 depending on freight from Jayco. Does anyone know who makes this ladder so I could find it locally and maybe cheaper?

My other thought was just to remove it and get one of those telescoping RV ladders. Then I could use it where I want and not have to get onto the roof as much. I use it 90% just to clear the pooled water off of the slide-out roof before breaking camp. How should I seal up the holes if I just remove it?

Thanks!
Honda EU1000i
2006 Jayfeather 29Y - past Jayco
KachFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:53 AM   #2

I think that the only holes will be the screw holes where the brackets were attached. I think what I would do would be to first fill the holes with caulk - like Proflex - and after the caulk cured I'd put a small piece of Eternabond over the holes. The Eternabond may be overkill, but I've always been a belt and suspenders type of guy.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:08 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Until you decide what your going to do, I would check the ladder's aluminum mounting pads to confirm that the existing caulking wasn't compromised by the impact (keep moisture from getting in).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:11 PM   #4

If you intend to replace the ladder with the same ladder, I recommend the following:

1. Contact Jayco to determine the Jayco part number for your ladder.

2. Next ask what is the corresponding Atwood part number (assuming that Atwood still makes ladders for Jayco).

3. Contact Atwood Mobile (www.atwoodmobile.com).

4. Provide Atwood with the Atwood part number from step #2.

5. Atwood will make a new ladder for you from the original specs; ask for a pdf of the manufacturing specs before ordering to ensure that Atwood has the correct ladder specs for your trailer.

6. Concerns: Assuming that you order directly from Atwood, make sure that the holes drilled in the ladder are done correctly (ie, perpendicular to the run of the ladder). You will have something like 10-15 days to return if defective. It's important that you immediately inspect the workmanship of the build upon receiving it.

7. Costs: the ladder will probably cost around $150-170. However, the big expense will be the freight costs. You have two options: (a) pay a large freight fee for the ladder as a single unit because of the large shipping box; or (b) pay a smaller freight fee where the ladder is cut in half to reduce the size of the shipping box.

8. Installation is straight-forward. Remove old ladder and replace with new ladder. Use appropriate caulk, and optionally, follow-up with eternabond.
Iota DLS-55, Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C, Trimetric TM-2025

WIBadger is offline   Reply With Quote