Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #1

Rear Receiver on 26BH or similar TT

I am seeing mixed opinions on installing a receiver on the rear frame of my TT. We have a 26BH and would like to use our Yakima receiver mounted bike rack. I understand the effects of weight, load distribution and tongue weight by adding rear weight to a TT. We can overcome that with load distribution adjustments.

Has anyone installed a rear receiver on a 26bh, or model on a similar frame and length...25BHS RKS, 26BH RKS RLS, or 28BHS?

Thank you in advance for the advice/replies.
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #2

Here is what I have on the back of my 26BH. I have a Swagman bike rack for 3 bikes and this setup has worked great. My wife and I have Marin bikes with aluminum frames so they are pretty light, but this setup does awesome.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

I have 4 daughters and two are still on small bikes that we stowe just under the kitchen table. Then the two older girls bikes go next to the queen bed and the couch. We are able wedge them in there just right and they travel great.

Hope this helps!
aSLOdonat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aSLOdonat View Post
Here is what I have on the back of my 26BH. I have a Swagman bike rack for 3 bikes and this setup has worked great. My wife and I have Marin bikes with aluminum frames so they are pretty light, but this setup does awesome.

I have 4 daughters and two are still on small bikes that we stowe just under the kitchen table. Then the two older girls bikes go next to the queen bed and the couch. We are able wedge them in there just right and they travel great.

Hope this helps!
By chance can you post pics of how this is set up... looks like on your tt? We are looking for options to carry our bikes without having to put in the truck bed.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #4

A few years ago, we had a receiver hitch bracket bolted to our rear bumper and a bike rack attached to it. I forget the brand, but it was a major name non-junk brand of bike rack. We had two bikes attached to the rack. One day going down an interstate someone flagged us down; the rack had failed, and was dragging parts of the outside bike on the pavement. Thank goodness the bikes remained attached and did not cause an accident, though there was some damage to the outside bike.

The manufacturer said they did not warranty the rack when attached to the rear of a trailer; they said the movement at the rear of a trailer is much greater than the movement at the rear of a vehicle and is not a suitable place for their rack.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
Site Team

Just make sure that the receiver is bolted or welded to the frame and not the bumper.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Just make sure that the receiver is bolted or welded to the frame and not the bumper.
X2
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aSLOdonat View Post

Hope this helps!
We have this same bumper hitch and it's solid as a rock. The bike rack is an Allen 2-bike rack: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UO3T1G/?tag=_c-20

After reading some of the horror stories of folks who had mounted grills, spares, bikes, etc., I wanted to be really careful. I removed the spare tire carrier and keep the spare inside under the sofa. So far, the bikes haven't moved around much at all and I periodically monitor them with my rear view camera. I do have a tendency to snug things up with tie-downs, so they don't bounce around a lot though either.

I also check the bumper welds for signs of stress and so far, they look just fine.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:56 AM   #8

My trailer is in storage right now with the cover on so I won't be able to get the pics with all the bikes on right away. It just snowed here in SLC.

The Curt product is very solid. My FIL bought a cheap bracket for his bumper and it was in a couple pieces and the bolts held it together. He used it once and returned it. This product is all one piece and very solid. I was skeptical of the price, but I would absolutely purchase it again.

I also have a solid rack that goes with this. I bought this rack when I had a tent trailer. You slide your draw mount through this rack and then tighten the bolts down to lock it in. I purchased a little longer draw mount and this worked great. Again solid rack.

http://www.amazon.com/Swagman-64600-..._sim_sbs_sg_11

So with products like the Curt hitch and the Swagman rack I have to tell you the other thing to consider... That is the weight of the bikes. My bikes are aluminum frames and pretty light. If you had some big beach cruisers you may not be able to do what I do. My FIL had two cruisers that he carried with his wimpy hitch and second hand rack... the two bikes weighed over 50lbs. His hitch may have worked, but the rack was garbage.

I personally would rather spend some extra money and sleep well at night.

I will try to get some pics up this week.
aSLOdonat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #9

Thank you all for the input. Of course we have 2 heavy schwinn beach cruisers that go most of time. Now I am leaning towards having a receiver welding to the frame. The heavier bikes are one thing but I am also thinking that it might be nice to be able use a hitch mount cargo carrier on those occasions we need extra ice chests and what not.

I have emailed Jayco to get their position on adding this receiver. I can't find any document in the jayco manual or associated OEM manuals say not to.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Thank you all for the input. Of course we have 2 heavy schwinn beach cruisers that go most of time. Now I am leaning towards having a receiver welding to the frame. The heavier bikes are one thing but I am also thinking that it might be nice to be able use a hitch mount cargo carrier on those occasions we need extra ice chests and what not.

I have emailed Jayco to get their position on adding this receiver. I can't find any document in the jayco manual or associated OEM manuals say not to.
I doubt that they will reccomend it. Let us know what they have to say.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #11

http://www.everymilesamemory.com/mot..._&_carrier.htm

Check out what these people did. I am sure our Jaycos are up to this mod. Just find a welding shop you trust.

:cool: 2013 F150 STX Super Cab With Factory Tow Package, Inegrated Trailer Brake Control, 5.0 Liter with 3.55 Gears and Posi Traction :cool:
villain2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:05 AM   #12

Well here is the response from Jayco...

Thank you for the email and taking the time to contact
us here at Jayco. Jayco does not advise to make any modification to the
unit. Adding a bike rack would be a modification and you will need to be
aware that any damage that is caused by the install or the use of any
modification will not be covered by warranty. The frame was not tested
to add anything to back of and could cause damaged to the frame.

Not surprised. I may just wait out the warranty then go for it. We'll see how hauling bikes in the TT works for a few trip before making any changes.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:59 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Well here is the response from Jayco...

Thank you for the email and taking the time to contact
us here at Jayco. Jayco does not advise to make any modification to the
unit. Adding a bike rack would be a modification and you will need to be
aware that any damage that is caused by the install or the use of any
modification will not be covered by warranty. The frame was not tested
to add anything to back of and could cause damaged to the frame.

Not surprised. I may just wait out the warranty then go for it. We'll see how hauling bikes in the TT works for a few trip before making any changes.
That is the standard coperate line dictated by the lawyers. You have to do what you want. They will never tell you it's ok due to the legal ramifications.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:44 PM   #14

Wait until after the warranty is up. We installed a hitch on our 5th wheel and pulled a small trailer with two 4x4 quads for four years. No problems at all.