Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2017, 08:25 PM   #1

Recommend generator for Jay Flight 32BHDS with 15k ac/2nd ac with 50AMP

Looking at
https://m.costco.com/Champion-7000W-Running--9000W-Peak-DUAL-FUEL-Generator-wElectric-Start.product.100220385.html

Will this suffice? Overkill? Under?
Sscheitel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:52 AM   #2

Generators are a big and broad topic here. But lots of great advice. There are some really experts, and they are helpful.

I'm not an expert, but have been looking in to a generator for a similar application. Here is .02 you can take for what it's worth.

74 decibels is on the loud side if you are in a camp ground with other people. In the RV world, running generators when camping can be a sensitive issue. My experience, is people try not to run them. Obviously cost is important but quiet should be a requirement too.

It does not look like this is an inverter generator.

I didn't see how much it weighs.

I've been looking at Honda's. There is a reason they are so expensive. Look at the EU7000i and the related threads here.
2 x Golden Retrievers
dangerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:07 AM   #3

The Honda and Yamaha generators are the gold standard. Reliable and expensive.

Champion is a contractor grade generator. Less Expensive and has a 3 year guarantee.

When comparing generators look at the specs: Noise DB ratings, Clean power THD, weight -cause you will have to load and unload that darn thing. Propane produces less power than gas but, could be nice for home back up.

Craigslist for Long Island has a bunch of listing for Honda Generators https://longisland.craigslist.org/se...leDuplicates=1

If I was buying used, I'd want to hear it run first and when I got it home, the oil and filter(s) would be serviced/changed.

Recently I ordered a Champion Hybrid to power my 15K AC and everything else in the trailer. The THD total harmonic distortion was better than many Inverter generators. <3%, it quieter (64db) than the contractor grade, weighs 82 pounds, and has a 3 year warranty. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Whatever generator you end up with, please use a surge protector!

<><
Rivercityjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:08 AM   #4

That is a lot of generator for a camping situation. Only you can really define what you need...

If you were running a 74db generator next to me for very long we would have issues.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:15 AM   #5

That generator will likely put out far more than you would ever use, unless you weld out of your trailer in your spare time. It will also be loud and probably pretty heavy.
I would opt for something like this, you neighbors will thank you.
https://m.costco.com/Champion-2800wt...100302560.html

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:23 AM   #6

I should have been more specific

This unit is going to be used for boon docking where no other people would be within earshot.

will this generator, wired correctly and to spec, have the ability to provide my TT with electric enough to run both AC units and the other electronic appliances onboard?
Sscheitel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sscheitel View Post

This unit is going to be used for boon docking where no other people would be within earshot.

will this generator, wired correctly and to spec, have the ability to provide my TT with electric enough to run both AC units and the other electronic appliances onboard?
Oh, you will hear it in the TT Unless you move it 25+ feet away and surround it with sandbags, Army style. At over 200 lbs, you'll need a friend or two to move it.

As others have mentioned, 2 inverter generators in parallel can accomplish the desired result and save your ears and back.

<><
Rivercityjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:51 AM   #8

Agree with others. Overkill. That generator is WAY more power than you will need, and will be way louder than anyone within ear-shot will want to hear (including yourself).

Many other options with Champion, Yamaha and Honda. Go with an inverter generator.
They will weigh less, and be much quieter.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:06 AM   #9

As mentioned above, these 3 will handle your needs except for powering the second A/C. They are all Inverter generators and run clean and quiet. You will not be happy with the noise box of a commercial generator and even though you're boondocking, at some point you'll be camping near other folks. The cost can be a tough pill to swallow but worth it in the long run.

3100W Inverter Generator - Champion Power Equipment
Honda EU3000iS Model Info | Super Quiet 3000 Watt Inverter Generator | Honda Generators
https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/ge...erter-ef3000is

All of these brands and others make parallel kits for 2-2000 watt inverter generators that will also do what you need. Research them all and you will come up with a better solution. Good luck!

2005 Forest River Rockwood 2601 (Sold)
2011 Ford Expedition XLT (Sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler (Just for fun!)
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:37 AM   #10

The Champion 75537i 3100 Watt is one of the better price options available today.

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Powe...dp/B00JZQUSAC/

For $800 you get quiet, efficient, pure sign wave power. Most importantly, it's got Wireless Remote Electric Start, that's very hard to get from Yamaha and Honda without spending big bucks.

It will run everything you're asking for with the exception of dual air/con.
SmackIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sscheitel View Post

If you get a generator with a 240v output with a 4-conductor twist lock, there are adapters that will convert your 50A cord right into the Gen. It will have one phase of the Gen on one of your 50A breakers and the other phase on the other 50A breaker. Each AC unit will be separated on a 30A supply.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercityjeff View Post
Oh, you will hear it in the TT Unless you move it 25+ feet away and surround it with sandbags, Army style. At over 200 lbs, you'll need a friend or two to move it.

As others have mentioned, 2 inverter generators in parallel can accomplish the desired result and save your ears and back.

with our previous Motorhome... We did a lot of boondocking - F
First - we put the generator as far as the cord allowed.
Next - depending on the weather - we carried an old cardboard box folded up in the storage area with the chairs... We cut the box so it has three sides and the top open. the open side facing away from our camp and two old furniture pads were draped over the box to serve as noise proofing. It worked really well
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote