Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-26-2017, 10:57 AM   #1
wwt

Refrigerator drain tube

I removed the outside cover on the refrigerator to snoop around and I found the drain tube goes into a small bowl. The bowl was half full of water and I thought it could spill out while traveling and soak into the bare wood inside the compartment. I pulled the tube out of the bowl and routed it through a vent hole on the compartment cover so the water will drip outside on the ground.
Anyone done this or see a problem with this?
wwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:04 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwt View Post
I removed the outside cover on the refrigerator to snoop around and I found the drain tube goes into a small bowl. The bowl was half full of water and I thought it could spill out while traveling and soak into the bare wood inside the compartment. I pulled the tube out of the bowl and routed it through a vent hole on the compartment cover so the water will drip outside on the ground.
Nope. My drain tube runs out a hole in the cover. Has a cap that allows water out and keeps out bugs as well. We also got metal screening and stuch it on the inside of the cover with double sidrd tape to keep out bugs as well.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

2018 Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwt View Post
Usually, there is enough warm air flow to evaporate the contents of the drain. You probably caught it at the back edge of a defrost cycle.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Usually, there is enough warm air flow to evaporate the contents of the drain. You probably caught it at the back edge of a defrost cycle.
Agreed. Your home fridge has a tube running to shallow pan under it too.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:14 PM   #5
Site Team

My last rig had the tube routed as you did, Dometic. On this one I notices that the small pan would sometime over flow or slop out so I did the same thing and now I don't have to even think about it.

Just remember to re-route it every time the screen comes off .
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:44 PM   #6

In or out?

It depends on the manufacture of your refrigerator.

I called Norcool and they told me to leave the tube in the scupper drain and not let it hang outside the cover.

<><
Rivercityjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:49 PM   #7
Site Team

Mine is a Norcold and I have routed it outside for 6 years. I read their literature but I see no advantage to taking a chance after mine wet the wood base several times.

Does anyone have a idea why they do it that way?
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 06-26-2017, 12:56 PM   #8

I have a thin wire running up my drain tube to power my 12V fridge fans so it stays inside the drain bowl. I've never seen more than a quarter inch of water in there. The chimney gets pretty warm due to the nature of the gas absorption fridge so there is heat and convective upward draft so the water doesn't last long.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:35 PM   #9

Just leave it out and forget about it. They placed mine outside during my PDI and said its 1 less thing to worry about.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 06-26-2017, 01:38 PM   #10

I'm willing to bet that the reason they went with the drain bowl inside is to prevent someone forgetting to thread the tube through the cover as they reinstall the panel, leaving it dangling inside and leaking water onto places water shouldn't go.

Agreed it's probably better to drain it outside, but all it takes is forgetting once and you've got water problems.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Mine is a Norcold and I have routed it outside for 6 years. I read their literature but I see no advantage to taking a chance after mine wet the wood base several times.

Does anyone have a idea why they do it that way?
Norty,

Norcold's rational was in keeping with Mike's statement about the water in the scupper drain pan evaporating. We have not had any water on the wooden frame, yet.

I can see no harm in running the tube outside the cover.

<><
Rivercityjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:25 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercityjeff View Post
Norty,

Norcold's rational was in keeping with Mike's statement about the water in the scupper drain pan evaporating. We have not had any water on the wooden frame, yet.

I can see no harm in running the tube outside the cover.
I agree. When we had problems with water was if we were out for weeks and then moved to another site. The little tray sometimes filled up and sloshed out maybe during a defrost cycle? I don't even know if the gas ones have that but the drain has not been a problem now.

Another time the fridge has a load of frost on the cooling fins and when we turned it off at home it flooded the little tray.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 06-26-2017, 02:40 PM   #13

If the Norcold ice maker has any cubes that have not been ejected to the bin, the melted cubes will drain to the cup. I experienced this when I did a defrost after my first trip. The cup was just about full at the end of the defrost. I can't run the tube out thru the vents because the now have bug screens installed (mud daubers).
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:49 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamon View Post
If the Norcold ice maker has any cubes that have not been ejected to the bin, the melted cubes will drain to the cup. I experienced this when I did a defrost after my first trip. The cup was just about full at the end of the defrost. I can't run the tube out thru the vents because the now have bug screens installed (mud daubers).
I don't have an icemaker but the cup, IMO should be a little larger or have higher sides.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 06-26-2017, 02:55 PM   #15

Quote:
I don't have an icemaker but the cup, IMO should be a little larger or have higher sides.
Agree. I usually check it every-other-day in camp. Might try to swap it out with a bigger container this fall.
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamon View Post
I have the fan power wire in the drain tube as well. I wonder if we could drill a hole in the tray and install a fitting with a separate tube to the outside. May also have to do the same to the vent cover.
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:56 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H View Post
I have the fan power wire in the drain tube as well. I wonder if we could drill a hole in the tray and install a fitting with a separate tube to the outside. May also have to do the same to the vent cover.
Maybe route it into a small funnel and put a clear plastic hose on the bottom routed outside?
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 06-26-2017, 05:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Maybe route it into a small funnel and put a clear plastic hose on the bottom routed outside?
That would work too.
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:15 PM   #19
wwt

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H View Post

I like this idea. When the compartment cover is removed the tube would be hanging out the opening and you would be less likely to forget to route the tube through the cover when reinstalling it.

Thanks to all the replies.
wwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
I have a thin wire running up my drain tube to power my 12V fridge fans so it stays inside the drain bowl. I've never seen more than a quarter inch of water in there. The chimney gets pretty warm due to the nature of the gas absorption fridge so there is heat and convective upward draft so the water doesn't last long.

X2

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote