Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-20-2017, 11:23 AM   #1

Refrigerator Question

I will be storing a Whitehawk in an outdoor storage facility. Plan on disconnecting the battery. When are ready for a trip will connect again.

The refrigerator will not be on. It will be warm. Do you guys turn it on on propane the day before to cool it down? How long will it run on propane with just a battery and no electrical hookup?

Thanks

Steve
Bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:41 AM   #2

From room temperature it would take about 24 hours to cool down. It helps if you put cold stuff in there, like frozen gallon jugs of water. Don't worry about the propane. The flame in these fridges is like a small pilot light, and a typical cylinder will last a long time.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:48 AM   #3

If the battery is charged and the propane is full it will run for a long long time. Several days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6 Speed Manual
farnik78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:51 PM   #4

The parasite drains will wear your battery down before the frig power consumption will. With a strong battery, I suspect you could go about a week before you will have a weak battery. As for propane usage, you could probably go a couple months on a single 20 pound tank.

You should be able to cool the frig down in about 24 hours. I installed two little 12Volt computer fans that blow air across the coil in the back of my frig, with this mod my frig now cools off really quickly, maybe 4-6 hours. I have not noticed any issue with the fans wearing down the battery.

I strongly recommend keeping the doors ajar when left in storage, or you might get some funkiness growing inside the frig.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:07 PM   #5

I agree that the parasitic drains are your bigger worry. A week of power is reasonable.

The guides all say 24 hours for the fridge to cool down properly. Plenty of electricity to spare.

And, as others have mentioned, the fridge doesn't use much propane. The flame is smaller than a toothbrush and doesn't run 24/7.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:55 PM   #6

I turn on propane when I pick trailer up at storage. After packing and getting to a location an hour away it's plenty cold.
2-3 hours and my freezer is able to freeze and the refer is cold enough to keep milk cold.
owtdorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:12 PM   #7

The CO2/propane detector is a big draw on the battery. I put s switch on my CO2/Propane detector that way, when no one is in the trailer and the trailer is parked, I just flip the switch and turn it off. When we load the trailer and get ready to go, I turn it back on.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:50 PM   #8

On propane ours cools down much quicker than I anticipated it would. I still put a couple of those liquid freeze pouches in the freezer and two in the fridge when I pick it up at the storage lot to bring it home to pack. By the time we are ready to load up the cold items the frig is at temp. Doesn't take long at all.
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote