Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-16-2014, 09:48 AM   #1

Reinforcing The Bench

My wife and I recently purchased a 2015 Jayflight 26bh. We have had it out twice, and already encountered problems with the back of the bench seat for the table. The back of the seat is attached with staples and 2 short screws only. Having 4 rambunctious kids, it has come apart. I was able to straighten the staples and reattach everything, but I'm now looking for a way to reinforce it as it still is pretty wobbly. Anyone else had a similar situation? Any suggestions?
mandlgunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:26 AM   #2

Same happened on a 22FB I had. Use #8 stainless oval head machine screws, SS finishing washers, SS flat washers and Nylon lock nuts. Through bolt it putting the screw heads and finishing washers on the outside because they will look the nicest showing, use a flat washer and lock nut on the inside. Cut the screw off flush with the locknut and smooth with a file so it doesn't hurt the seat back cushion.
If you are using the dinette for a bed, I would also through-bolt the support strips on the front of the seats because they are also going to come off.

While you're at it,look around for anything that may come loose under stress and screw and glue it together using a good wood glue. The staples used to build these trailers are a joke.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:28 AM   #3

We had the same problem on our first trip with our 26BH. I used a couple of 1/4" Elevator bolts with lock nuts on the angle bracket attached to the wall. Along the seat base and floor I used #10 pan head wood screws. I bought all the hardware at at Lowes.The screw heads came in black. Pre drilled the holes to avoid splitting the wood. Just be careful to avoid hitting the wires running to the LPG / CO detector that are stapled to the seat base. So far our it has held out even with three kids jumping in and out of the seat.
B&C&Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:24 AM   #4

I will have to keep an eye on ours and maybe be proactive and reinforce it.
bnk190 is offline   Reply With Quote