Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-24-2015, 02:22 PM   #11
Originally Posted by Fatfenders View Post
I have 4 of these: http://www.batterytender.com/Charger...derR-Plus.html
Every Fall, I remove the batteries from my boat (2), travel trailer and lawn tractor. They are on these chargers all winter in my garage. I wouldn't use anything else and since they maintain the charge without over charging, you will get the longest life out of your batteries. I add distilled water to any low cells before putting them on the charger (unless they're sealed) and come Spring, I know they will be good to go.

Long lasting batteries are always better than short lasting batteries.
Happy camping 2015

Pam and Dave
TT 2012 Jayco Whitehawk 27DSRL
TT 2011 Jay Flight RKS24 (sold)
TV 2010 Ram Laramie 5.7 Litre Hemi 3.55 gears
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400is
jddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:30 PM   #12
Can't say enough about the battery tenders... Just check the water level of the battery, hook up the tender, and forget about it till spring. It takes great care of your batteries and will prolong their life.

I have a tender for each battery I own, and for the smaller ones like lawn tractor, quad, etc. you can get a tender junior which will save you a bit of money. The juniors put out 0.75A and the regular is 1.25A.

SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:41 PM   #13
Originally Posted by Flapper View Post
To be the contrarian - the boat guys also go over this issue. Between my boat and my RV, I would have 5 very heavy batteries to pull, store, and put on chargers. Over the years, I've found that as long as the battery is in good shape, putting it away with a full charge, and disconnected, does not cause any issue. Of course, in my climate, the storage temps can get to -30, so that really reduces chemical activity! Might be a different story if your "winter" means dropping to 40-50 degrees.
I store at my dealers lot, and they also advise the same for the hundreds of customer RV's they store and service each winter, and have for almost 40 years. Ditto for my marine dealer, who stores more than a thousand boats over the winter for customers. Can't argue with that kind of mass experience.

In the spring, a couple hours on the charger, and they are all at 100%.
I do the same as above - and so do all the boat owners where I live. Fully charge the batteries, disconnect all loads and see them in the spring. I have no interest in humping heavy batteries out of the bilge , up to the ladder, down the ladder and down the dock to a vehicle and then to the house. Been storing batteries this way for 40 years. No problems.

Ont. Canada
2012 Chev 4x4 Crew Cab 5.3l 3.42 trailer package
2011 Jayco Select 28U
Equal-i-zer 1200/12000

gone 2003 Chev 4x4 5.3 Extended cab
gone 1991 Award Classic 30
owenssailor is offline   Reply With Quote