Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2016, 12:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
My dealer charges $60 an axle. It's not worth my time to jack it up for $120.00.
Wow, that's a great deal! Mine charges $160 per axle!

BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:43 PM   #12

It's not a matter of dollars and cents to me. I'm concerned about all the negatives I have read and heard about, both here and in person regarding how bad many service departments are.

There are a slew of complaints about the dealers service department where I bought my trailer from. I would prefer to do it myself because that way I know it's done the way I want it done and if I screw it up its my fault...

2016 Jayco 28BHBE - Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C

Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:47 PM   #13

I'm with you, Marcm.

It doesn't take much to put a floor jack under each spring purchase. Then disassemble, clean, inspect, replace as needed, reassemble.

10 minutes per wheel for the last 3. The first one takes 1/2 an hour to get ALL the tools out there.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
I'm with you, Marcm.

It doesn't take much to put a floor jack under each spring purchase. Then disassemble, clean, inspect, replace as needed, reassemble.

10 minutes per wheel for the last 3. The first one takes 1/2 an hour to get ALL the tools out there.

This is the truest statement in the entire thread!

2016 Jayco 28BHBE - Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C

Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:35 PM   #15

Bearings that are too tight, damaged, or needing to be cleaned and greased can get warm and cause a temperature difference from one side to the other.

Also, brake shoes being adjusted a bit tighter on one side than the other can cause extra heat and a temperature difference from side to side. I'd suggest checking for this by spinning the hubs to see if there is a difference from side to side.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:07 PM   #16

Not misinfo, not as much used to trailers with brakes. I stand corrected, if there is not a brake backing plate you can see the seal on the back of the hub.

On trailers equipped with brakes you will not be able to see the rear seal. If your over greasing the bearings you will have grease all over your brakes. When I reassemble my axles after finishing my lift kit I will post a series of photos showing how simple bearing repacking is.
Doboy Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:13 AM   #17

Late on this one, but on my return trip a few weeks ago I had a tire 15 degrees above and 5 on PSI vs all others according to my TPMS. I knew something was going on so I slowed down and found a safe area to pull off. Got out my thermometer gun and started reading from the rubber inward. When I got to the brake drums the suspect tire was 260 degrees vs 120-150 on all the others.

When I looked in the adjustment hole there were spring parts laying there so my diagnosis was confirmed in that the brake was hung up.

Pulled the tire and hub on the road and gutted the brake which was toast. Since then I replaced the brake, repacked the bearing and checked all the other brakes. Each tire was jacked and had DW in the TV to engage each one then checked for drag after release.

What I did notice when I was in there was that the EZ lube bearing feature will only put some grease in the rear bearing. To get to the front the entire hub must fill up first and start to ooze out the front. They are not filled like this from the factory. The bad thing about this is that there is almost too much grease in the hub after doing this.

These EZ Lube hubs were designed for boat trailers that were constantly being submerged in water. It is for ease of purging water from the hubs after.

Repacking and inspecting your own hubs is a quick and easy process provided you know what you are doing.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:30 AM   #18

If you have a good dealer they should check it out under warranty. of course most dealers can't get any thing for a month, so if your not going to use it for a month that might be an option. My 2012 jayco 29 RLDS was throwing grease from the right front wheel after about 6 months of owning it. My dealer checked it out and said it was OVER PACKED at the factory and that is why it was throwing grease. I use a grease gun and grease the zert fitting about 3 times a year. I take my trailer out every month.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:51 AM   #19

This is what Camping World charges to do a repack so this is a good reason to DIY.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-20-2016, 08:22 AM   #20

Ok, so I'm getting a great deal with my dealer (compared to CW). I have "Service Level 2" done every year. The service they did this spring uncovered all sorts of brake issues on one wheel. They replaced it all under Dexter's warranty (cost would've been around $320).

Keep in mind these are Canadian prices, so the $179 is really like $50 US!

Service Level 2

Single axle, no brakes $94.95 + parts

Single axle, with brakes $109.95 + parts

Dual axle $179.95 + parts
  • Bearing repack
  • Brake cleaning
  • Brake inspection
  • Suspension inspection
  • Tire inspection
  • Check Tire pressure

Service Specials - GNR Camping World - Winnipeg's Largest RV Service Centre

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH