Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2011, 06:58 PM   #1

Repairing pulled out screws in the wall

Im sure many have dealt with this nd looking for a solid repair.
We have 314BDS and a few of the window shade brackets and the towel rack have pulled loose from the wall. What are good methods for anchoring things in TT walls?
Jon Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:43 PM   #2

I used short wall anchors. I bought them at Home Depot, they are the metal ones.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:35 AM   #3

Hi there,

I've seen several towel brackets that have been installed on the back/inside of the door. It may not be the ideal for every bathroom though. Ideally if you were able to hit a stud with a metal/tec screw and not over tighten it, would be the best in my mind. Try using a stud sensor, or just move half an inch over and see if that works. I know with aluminum frame trailers they insert wood inside the stud in order to have screws bite into something. You could also try using a thin nail first to see if it finds a stud.

Industrial Velcro or hook and loop works great for hanging pictures. I will use some fine small nails at an angle to hang the odd thing like a clock.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:38 AM   #4

On my trailer almost all the window shade brackets came loose. When someone leaned back on the dinette cushion, the bracket was pushed against and the screws pulled out. The screws that had some sort of wood backing did not pull out, but everyone that didn't pulled out the first few weeks of ownership. Most of the screws that pulled out had styrofoam behind them, I squirted the "mix in syringe" type of 5 min epoxy into the hole (quite a bit so it soaks into the foam) and then install the bracket and screw. When the epoxy hardens, the screw is there for good. If there is just air behind the wall where the screw goes, spray a little foam into the wall cavity and let it harden first, then poke a hole into the foam with the screw and inject epoxy. If you want to get the screw out again, put a little soap or wax on the threads of the screw before installation.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslarson View Post
On my trailer almost all the window shade brackets came loose. When someone leaned back on the dinette cushion, the bracket was pushed against and the screws pulled out. The screws that had some sort of wood backing did not pull out, but everyone that didn't pulled out the first few weeks of ownership. Most of the screws that pulled out had styrofoam behind them, I squirted the "mix in syringe" type of 5 min epoxy into the hole (quite a bit so it soaks into the foam) and then install the bracket and screw. When the epoxy hardens, the screw is there for good. If there is just air behind the wall where the screw goes, spray a little foam into the wall cavity and let it harden first, then poke a hole into the foam with the screw and inject epoxy. If you want to get the screw out again, put a little soap or wax on the threads of the screw before installation.
Perfect! Thank you so much for the help. I've got a half used tube of liquid nails I need to use before it dries up.......what are your thoughts on squirting it in there and screwing into it?
Jon Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:13 AM   #6

I would prefer USMC616's suggestion. The anchors he referred to are often called Mollybolts. Those are not likely to ever pull out (they can be removed but it is challenging). The screws can be removed and replaced without any problems.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #7

There's nothing wrong with using some sort of hollow wall anchor, I just couldn't drill a bunch of 1/4" holes for them in my brand new camper. I use varriations of the epoxy glue method on boats, I work in the marine service industry. You really need to use an epoxy glue, liquid nails wouldn't work.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslarson View Post
There's nothing wrong with using some sort of hollow wall anchor, I just couldn't drill a bunch of 1/4" holes for them in my brand new camper. I use varriations of the epoxy glue method on boats, I work in the marine service industry. You really need to use an epoxy glue, liquid nails wouldn't work.
The Op stated he had some hardware come loose, in that case all is needed is to place the anchors in the current holes, no need to drill more holes.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote