Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-09-2017, 05:38 PM   #1

Replaceing uncomfortable dinette seats

The dinette seats on my 195RB are uncomfortable at best. We rarely use the storage as it is slow to remove cushions, pull up seat bottom and get in. Plus we have no intent to use the dinette as a single bed.

Has anyone removed them and replaced them? My thought is something like a decent computer chair with arms that will use the existing table for meals, etc.

My anticipated problems include damage to the wall and floor due to glue, nails or screws.

On a side note, my table "walks" during travel. Has anyone secured it with a big headed screw at each end of the track? A better way than that?

If you did a modification like I am thinking of please post a picture or two.
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:07 PM   #2

1st the table. You have a free standing table correct? If so, you are supposed to fold it down and secure it in the bed mode when traveling.

As for the dinette, there is very little glue in a tt construction. Lots of stables holding the panels to the subframe. The subframe is then screwed to the walls, floor and other frames.

Lots of people have removed dinnette and replaced them with tavle and chairs. The issue could be with what is under or should I say running through the storage space. I am not familiar with you tt. You need to snoop around a bit. You could have a variety of utilities in there, such as water lines, and heat ducts. Also where is your wheel wells, often they are under dinnetted too.

Often it is easy to remove the panels without damaging them.

Take some pictures and post them, both inside and out, and maybe we can help a bit more.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:46 PM   #3

#1, you could change out the foam in the seats.
#2, if there are no obstructions under the seats you could mount a door on
One side and put a drawer on the other side.
On most TT with this type of seating the door & drawer( full length 3' ) are standard. It's a great use for storage space that I think most or many of us need.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 01-09-2017, 07:05 PM   #4

If I remove the seats I will have to relocate the carbon monoxide alarm. The wheel well is partially under one seat and already partially exposed under the table.

I would ask regarding the post with drawer and door. Where did you get them? Thought about seeing if Jayco had some doors in the right size and color but no drawers in the 195 so never thought about getting one. Lot easier than getting down on hands an knees to look in the bottom.
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post

I would ask regarding the post with drawer and door. Where did you get them? Thought about seeing if Jayco had some doors in the right size and color but no drawers in the 195 so never thought about getting one. Lot easier than getting down on hands an knees to look in the bottom.
The door and drawer are standard in many units so I would think Jayco might sell you the doors in your finish. If you don't feel comfortable cutting the opening and making the drawers I would hire a retired carpenter for this fairly easy task, their well worth the cost and used every day.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:41 AM   #6

Do you have a cabinet door in the tt that is the correct size, you could order one or two from Jayco. Then you will havearching doors. I have heard they are expensive, but I have never checked.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote