Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-10-2016, 01:49 PM   #11

Since you have already had the VIN verified and you have a document to prove it, I'd just get a set of steel letter and number stamps and stamp the VIN into the trailer tongue (A frame rail) and be done with it. Hang on the VIN verification document for future use.

Those stamp sets aren't cheap so maybe you can find someone that you can borrow some from. https://www.zoro.com/value-brand-let...g&gclsrc=aw.ds

Also, when you use those stamps you need to use a large enough hammer to make a good impression on a single strike of the hammer. If you try to hit it multiple times it comes out kind of blurry due to the multiple impressions.

Hohenwald48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 02:47 PM   #12

My VIN had to be verified because it was registered in another state. Had it been registered in my state, no inspection or verification would have been required. I have no idea what makes an out of state acquisition more suspect. All I know is it created quite a hassle. First I went to the local tag office to register the trailer. After waiting for an hour for my turn to be attended I was informed of the VIN inspection requirement. They had two tag offices within my county that I could pull my trailer to for such. I already have the trailer parked on a leased property and had zero interest in breaking camp and pulling it into the metro area. I then discovered that any officer of the law could do the inspection so I coordinated a meeting with a state trooper for the verification. Then... the VIN was all but lost to time. I was pulling my hair out... what little is left.

olbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:37 PM   #13

Everyone in any vehicle industry is touchy about VIN numbers and simply sending out new VIN tags. If they did that, any car thief could simply get a new VIN number by asking for it and paying for the tag. But it's also for a whole host of reasons. Many standards organizations (ie: UL, CSA, etc) allow properly trained and experienced manufacturers to self-certify certain devices they manufacture, then put the organization's logo on the nameplate of the product. It works that way in the motor industry. If the motor manufacturer loses track of nameplates, and it appears to be chronic, the standards organization will pull their self-certification, and the company could take a heavy financial hit if they can't include that logo on the product. Old motor nameplates, and likely old VIN plates, must be destroyed in the process, usually by the manufacturer.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:22 AM   #14

I don't think the OP wants a "NEW" VIN but simply a replacement placard with the original VIN inscribed.
Hohenwald48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
I don't think the OP wants a "NEW" VIN but simply a replacement placard with the original VIN inscribed.
Understood. But to the manufacturer, it could be a new VIN for that vehicle. If you were a crook, and stole a trailer, and the rightful owner of that trailer reported the VIN as stolen, you'd want to order a new VIN number for that trailer. So, you find a valid one on a similar trailer that has not been stolen, and simply request a new VIN tag matching the trailer that is NOT reported stolen, then affix it to the one that HAS been reported stolen so you can sell it. If they could do that with cars and trucks, there would be a much easier black market in salvage title vehicles.

This is why manufacturers are very reluctant to simply make a new VIN tag. You know you're not lying to them, but they don't know that.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:24 AM   #16

I understand that it should not be easy to obtain a new placard with an old VIN #. However, there should be some avenue to travel that will accomplish this. I know I'm not the only camper in town that has this problem and transferring the title at some point is a likely scenario in all TTs life.

I would not have had a problem had Jayco stamped the VIN into the frame or released the trailer with some other sort of permanent placard. I'm blown away by how little proof we all have of ownership of such a major investment.
olbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:36 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by olbriar View Post
I understand that it should not be easy to obtain a new placard with an old VIN #. However, there should be some avenue to travel that will accomplish this. I know I'm not the only camper in town that has this problem and transferring the title at some point is a likely scenario in all TTs life.

I would not have had a problem had Jayco stamped the VIN into the frame or released the trailer with some other sort of permanent placard. I'm blown away by how little proof we all have of ownership of such a major investment.
Agreed. On a toy hauler I used to own, the only place the VIN was displayed was a frame stamp. They didn't even put a weight sticker on it anywhere. I went to take my driver test for a Class A non-commercial license, and the examiner wouldn't go anywhere until I could show him the weight declaration. Never got that accomplished.