Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-09-2016, 10:44 PM   #1

Replacement VIN

I recently purchased a used, out of state, TT. To meet my state's regulations, I had to have the trailer's VIN inspected. To my dismay, the only VIN I could find was on the road side wall. It was very faded and near impossible to read.
Fortunately I was able to get the VIN verified so that I could register the title.

My question is there any means to get a new matching VIN placard issued from Jayco? It will likely be a number of years before I trade up but there will come a time I will need proof that the paper work matches the trailer. There is zero chance that the paper on the side wall will be legible tomorrow, much less years from now.

olbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:02 AM   #2

I doubt Jayco could legally send a new placard. But I would contact them with your Vin number and ask.

You could get a set of punches. And punch the Vin into the steel on the tongue. In a few years from now it will be rusty and look original.

Usually there is another Vin number under the unit. I found a few hidden ones. The one I most recall is under the unit close to the rear passanger side.

Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:27 AM   #3

I looked high and low already. I find it difficult to believe that a paper placard is all that was issued however. Eight years old and the VIN all but gone. I would have expected something more permanent from Jayco. I'll look again. I do have a paper issued from a state trooper that he verified the VIN that I could fax to Jayco....

Stamping the VIN into the tongue is a great idea. That's what I expected to find. Without it being there, anyone could stamp any number there. Seems a little weak considering the investment and especially when it has to be verified to transfer the title.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:58 AM   #4

A google search of "Replacement VIN tag" turns up several companies that will supply a replacement sticker or embossed metal plate.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:28 AM   #5

The VIN sticker on our trailer was very faded; when I contacted Jayco to register the trailer with them they sent me a new sticker with my same Vin #.
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:43 PM   #6

I think I'll try my luck with Jayco. I also have plans to purchase a letter stamp set and punch the VIN into the frame at the tongue. I hope this will eliminate problems in the future.

Considering the expense of TTs and their popularity, there should be something from the manufacturer that's more permanent. They are going to change hands at some point after all.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:57 PM   #7

I home built a tilting flatbed trailer to haul my snowmachine (snowmobile for those who don't live in Alaska) with. Because it was home built; in order to register and title it, I had to have it weighed and provide a weight certificate and then have it DOT inspected for road use. Then the state DMV gave me a VIN. I went down to a trophy shop and had a couple of VIN plates made with the information from the title and then riveted them in a couple of places.
My point is this. Take the information from your registration and go to an engraving shop and have the metal plates made and then rivet them on.
Previous: Northface tent/Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH
Lance Cabover/Prowler TT/WildernessTT/Tiltin Hiltin Cabover/Starcraft popup
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:57 PM   #8

No VIN inspection required in Mich, I doubt many states require it. On my 2016 Jayco there is a metal VIN tag on the inside of the aframe.
Sundancer330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
No VIN inspection required in Mich, I doubt many states require it. On my 2016 Jayco there is a metal VIN tag on the inside of the aframe.
That seems like a much better location, and the metal tag will hold up.
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:21 PM   #10

When we need to order a new VIN plate through Ford, a Ford representative hand delivers it to our dealership and must present when applying it to the vehicle. The old school rivets they use (on the dash of cars, trucks, etc.) are special. Not sure how Jayco would approach it but I'd imagine, similar.

2002 Coleman Bayside Elite (traded)
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote