Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-14-2014, 10:17 PM   #1

Exclamation Replacing house power cord

Here's hoping someone has replaced the cord on a J Flight G2. My tt is a 2010 32BHDS. Bought it used last spring. Electrician who installed the 30 amp receptacle made it 220v instead of 120v. The long and short of it is that I had the inverter replaced and all seemed fine. Everything checked out and worked for 6 months+ without failing. At the beginning of this year while outside I noticed the plug was burning and had melted to the receptacle on the stick house. Breaker had NOT tripped so I turned cb off and realized the plug was melted onto the receptacle. I had to replace the male plug portion and and the wall receptacle with new weather proof type. it worked fine until today 3 months later. After rainstorm power died. CB had tripped and it will hold in the on position, but the tt cannot be plugged in without tripping the CB. I think the cord is burnt up past the plug and should be replaced. Has anyone ever done this before? I imagine I could pay someone to do it but I cannot find any youtubes or other tutorials with diagrams showing what is in the inside of that plug shield.
It's got to be the cord. Currently living in FL without electricity until this is resolved. Help!
Winnie VIEW 2004
Allegro Bus 1999
Coleman POP UP 1997
Justoneloook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:15 AM   #2

No electrician here, but I did replace just the male end to my power cord on last TT. Cut it back to check the wires, if they are ok, its an easy job to replace just the male portion.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:47 AM   #3

Pop the cover on the breaker box and inspect the wiring there also to make sure it's not fried. The end on the cord is easy to replace. The terminals are marked for the correct position of each of the three wires.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:12 AM   #4

My concern is that you may indeed have a short circuit within the cord as you indicated a meltdown because of high voltage. First step would be to unplug cord from the receptacle and then see if the circuit breaker can be reset.

I have seen where a breaker that trips cannot be reset and needs replacement. Once that is verified, you should use a multimeter and check the cord from the connection end to the end that attaches to your inverter.

Power cord should be standard wiring - Black = supply (or hot), White = neutral and Green = ground.

Hope that helps
NewCamperOldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:24 AM   #5

Question

I have unplugged the cord and in the past replaced the male end of the cord. The circuit breaker does hold without the tt cord plugged in but once I plug in the trailer the breaker trips to the plug power. I haven't yet removed the panel as the breaker hold and I see no evidence that it is burnt. On the other hand the cord smells burnt. I want tot replace the whole ship to shore cord, the entire 30 amp pigtail with male and I don't know how to get unti the tt to access what must be a junction box. From the outside I have a weatherproof cover on the tt which the cord housing must be behind. Looks like I could pop it off but not sure what is down there. A bit scared
Winnie VIEW 2004
Allegro Bus 1999
Coleman POP UP 1997
Old 05-15-2014, 06:53 AM   #6

Clarify just to be sure here, you said " replaced inverter". Did you mean " converter" ... As in power converter inside trailer?.

And when you say tripped CB, you are talking on the feed , or in the trailer power distribution box?

Last, when you said. You replaced the outlet, after the plug melted, what type of change, if any, did you make to the 220 volts that was feeding it from the main power box on the side of the house?

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:56 AM   #7

You already know what a qualified electrician can do. I would call an Rv repair shop in the area and ask what they would charge to hook up a new power cord. It can't be that much. They could also make sure that is the only problem you have. By the way, I had the exact thing happen when installing a 30 amp outside Rv box for my last trailer. Fortunately, it only flipped the breaker on my unit with no other damage. After that, I wired in my own box!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:17 AM   #8

Yes I meant inverter. Sorry. Also the wall outlet is 120v feeding the trailer and we did replace the female portion of the receptacle and wiring. Also new male end on the tt cord.
I feel Namusnc you are right. No more electricians. I'm on the phone right to mobile service. Thank you.
Winnie VIEW 2004
Allegro Bus 1999
Coleman POP UP 1997
Old 05-15-2014, 05:48 PM   #9

Let us know what they find

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:00 PM   #10

Problem was residual burnt wires from 220v error overload in May 2013. Power cord was burnt and shorting out on AC pull to load. Replaced entire cord with new pigtail and TT is 100% working. No other damage.
LESSON LEARNED: replace all components of electrical system inverter cord or any other wires that might be suspect if you have a power surge! it's just smart, nobody needs to get hurt in a fire.
Winnie VIEW 2004
Allegro Bus 1999
Coleman POP UP 1997