Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2016, 09:04 PM   #1

Replacing My Tub

I recently purchased my first TT. I got a heck of a deal on a used 2008 G2 27BH. The trailer is clean and in very good condition except the tub is cracked.
It had a huge patch of silicone over the damaged area. I suspected additional damage and a must be replaced scenario in my price negotiations so I have lots of room to deal with whatever. I purchased a replacement tub/shower bottom online and it arrived yesterday. I will be doing the repairs as soon as time permits. I will keep you posted as to my progress and what surprises I might find once I get the old tub out. Here is a picture of the tub with the silicone removed.

If anyone has been down this ugly path before, feel free to share your experience and advice.
olbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:38 AM   #2

Good luck on your tub replace project, olbriar, looking forward to the outcome.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:46 PM   #3

I was able to slip down to my river lot this afternoon and drop off my tub. It seems to be the exact tub as the one I'm replacing... luck is on my side. I checked out how the surround is attached as well as the water feeds and the drain. It all looks easy enough. I'm sure it won't be as easy as it looks but I'm not stressed out over it now. I'm going to replace the deck the tub sits on. It shows signs of water damage. I also plan to leave just a bit of space between the deck and bottom of the tub to allow for a bed of mud to seat the tub into. I'm certain that's the reason the original tub bottom failed. It had ribs built onto the bottom but the crack was formed between the ribs. Sitting in a firm bed between and below the ribs will form a solid base that shouldn't fail in the future.
I might have some time to throw at the project tomorrow. I'll post my progress if I have any.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:47 PM   #4

Forgive me for the double post. I did not get to work on the tub replacement today. The leased area where I have my trailer sits along a river that crested nine feet over flood stage tonight at six pm. The trailer sits on one of the highest points in the area and is now surrounded by water. I'm taking binoculars with me in the morning so I can at least take a half decent look at it. From what I could see today, the river was not up to the steps but I was looking across a field. I'm hoping that I did not take on water. I'm really hoping it's still there... sheesh.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:09 PM   #5

I've got my fingers crossed for ya.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:54 AM   #6

Keeping positive thoughts for you. Hoping all works out OK.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
I've got my fingers crossed for ya.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
Keeping positive thoughts for you. Hoping all works out OK.
The karma worked. My TT survived the flood. I could not get to the trailer but was close enough today to see the water barely got to my tires. I lost stuff in the yard no doubt. It falls off steeply as it approaches the natural river channel so it was completely under water and has been since late Friday night. I can deal with those losses without a second thought. I feel very fortunate tonight.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:35 PM   #8

Man, what is it with the floods this year? Just got a historical dose in Louisiana. Glad your rig was OK.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Man, what is it with the floods this year? Just got a historical dose in Louisiana. Glad your rig was OK.
We are headed for a record rainfall for the year here in Kansas. It seems if it isn't raining, it just getting ready to rain. It's kept things cooler and green but man it's getting old. And flooding is just a real bummer. I hope you and your rig have managed to stay safe.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:07 AM   #10

Glad to hear your rig made it through OK - looking forward to seeing how you make out with the tub replacement.

2022 33RBTS
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Old 09-18-2016, 09:02 PM   #11

I'm sorry that I did not get any pictures of the tub replacement process. It actually went so easy and fast that I flat forgot to document the process with some pics.

As stated, I found the replacement process very easy. Especially when you consider I was quoted two grand for the materials and labor from a dealer. I first pulled the water to my trailer. Access to the shower tub is under the full size bed in the bunkie room. I removed the feed lines to the fixture and the drain. I then removed the shower wand holder. I next removed the molding that was at the tub lip and the leading edges of the shower walls. The surround walls were attached with double faced tape and eleven plastic anchors. I was able to remove the anchors and carefully pull the surround lose from the walls. The tub was screwed to the walls with drywall screws on the three sides that were under the the shower walls. Unscrewing them allowed the tub to be easily turned up on end and removed from the trailer.

Installing the new tub and walls was a reverse of the above. I had purchased a couple of rolls of double faced tape and a new drain for the tub. With drain attached the tub was replaced and the plumbing reattached. The shower walls stuck right back into place and I was able to reuse the plastic anchors. With the molding replaced I pressured up the water system and checked for leaks.

My total cost for the replacement was $207 and two and a half hours labor.
Back in business boys and girls.

Oh, and here is a pic taken of the river a foot or more below crest that threatened my TT.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:13 AM   #12

Glad it worked out so well for you. How about at least a pic of the finished product?

2022 33RBTS
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Old 09-19-2016, 05:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
Glad it worked out so well for you. How about at least a pic of the finished product?
That I can do. It will be next weekend before I get back down there but I will make that happen.