Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #1

Resealing windows and have a question?

So I decided I want to reseal the windows on my 2009 Jayco 19BH after hearing that the dry foam gaskets are horrible and my questions are as follows:

1) What thickness of Butyl tape should I get (it seemed like 3/16" and 1/8" were common thicknesses

2) After the Butyl oozes out how hard will it be to get off of my camper and what type of chemicals should I use to clean it off with.

3) After applying Butyl I was going to lay a bead of proflex over the top of the windows and wanted to know if proflex is ok to use?

4) I was also going to apply proflex over the top of all my marker lights or do you suggest sealing them some other way
certified106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:07 AM   #2

I can only tell you my experience, which is limited to my fiberglas sided trailer; the following may not apply if yours is aluminum:

Quote:
1) What thickness of Butyl tape should I get (it seemed like 3/16" and 1/8" were common thicknesses
I used 1/8 inch and got a good ooze, so I think that is thick enough.

Quote:
2) After the Butyl oozes out how hard will it be to get off of my camper and what type of chemicals should I use to clean it off with.
I used a plastic batter scraper (which my wife donated to the cause) cut to a right angle. Easy to do, no chemicals needed. I'll bet any non-scratching tool would work - some other piece of soft flexible plastic, or a piece of soft wood maybe.

Quote:
3) After applying Butyl I was going to lay a bead of proflex over the top of the windows and wanted to know if proflex is ok to use?
My dealer recommended clear Proflex for this purpose; he suggested across the top and down the sides six or eight inches.

Quote:
4) I was also going to apply proflex over the top of all my marker lights or do you suggest sealing them some other way
Sounds like a good plan to me.

By the way, I found that Jayco did not center windows very well in the cutout hole; you may want to make sure they are centered better than Jayco did so that the sealing area is as large as possible.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #3

Wood nail cuticle stick works great for removing excess butyl tape. Just drag around window frame and tape peels off. No scarring of wall finish. 98 cents for two at Wal-Mart.
001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:10 PM   #4

For smooth siding, 1/8" thickness is good. For waved siding, use 3/8" thick butyl tape.

Applying Flex RV "clear" above and sides of each window frame is good.

For good video, surf:

While window is removed, you might want to apply dark tint film to it as well. For tinting its inside glass, working on horizontal window (while removed and on work horses) is much easier then vertical window.

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:18 PM   #5

Forgot to mention....

When you re-seal an RV/TT window that has factory rubber foam behind its window's lip, simply remove the window and with a wide flat screw driver, remove this rubber foam. It wondering, its one sided tape. Go slow and remove this tape - like pealing masking tape off a freshly painted wall. For the window that is an emergency exit, its screws (that holds the "push out" glass) might be too long. Simply take a 4.25" power grinder and cut-off the extra long screws tips. Then, give each screw a 1/8 turn - to such them back down again. Some folks use a grind stone on a rotor motor but for me, a 4.25" electric hand held grinder works best. If wondering, the "Butyl bead" (aka: Butyl tape) replaces the factory foam rubber strip. Also... Each window will have plastic spacers on each window side - between window frame and trailer frame. The larger windows use 2 or 3 plastic spacers on each window. Do NOT remove these plastic spacers. They are needed to reduce road vibrations - to stop windows from cracking (from road shock - especially during towing on freezing cold temps). Suggest doing a small window 1st, until you get comfortable with it. No worries.... Re-Sealing the windows only sounds scary. Simply go slow, "take your time" and do 2 windows a day. Pace yourself - like the old turtle keeps telling us....

Old 08-08-2011, 02:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Each window will have plastic spacers on each window side - between window frame and trailer frame. The larger windows use 2 or 3 plastic spacers on each window.
The window I did recently on my 2011 28.5RLS fiver had no spacers. Did they just leave out something? Perhaps that's why the window was not centered in the hole? Here's pictures: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=3802
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:19 PM   #7
Site Team

Resealing windows on a corrugated aluminum sided trailer will be a little different then smooth sided ones. The gap between the window and siding is considerable at the low spots in the aluminum siding, I estimate it to be 3/8", whereas on the smooth sided trailer the window will make a flush seal to the siding all around the window. So the butyl putty will have to be thick enough to fill in these recessed areas on aluminum sided trailers.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
The window I did recently on my 2011 28.5RLS fiver had no spacers. Did they just leave out something? Perhaps that's why the window was not centered in the hole? Here's pictures: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=3802
Thanks for providing pictures of your "flat wall" TT's siding. When I re-sealed my windows, wished I took pictures. Thus, I could show you these plastic "spacer" inserts on my TT's windows. If your TT windows have plastic spacers, do NOT remove them. Simply remove the factory rubber "dry" sealer strip and replace with butyl tape - as seen in the above U-Tube clip. Do 1 small window to get a feel for how easy it is...
Old 08-08-2011, 04:44 PM   #9

Thanks guys for the great advice it is highly appreciated and I will start with the smallest top bunk window before trying the dinette window. Now my next question is where in the heck can I find 3/8 to 1/2" thick butyl tape? I spent about 1/2 an hour searching for it and it's like it doesn't exist and all I'm seeing is 1/8-3/16 thick tape.
certified106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by certified106 View Post
Thanks guys for the great advice it is highly appreciated and I will start with the smallest top bunk window before trying the dinette window. Now my next question is where in the heck can I find 3/8 to 1/2" thick butyl tape? I spent about 1/2 an hour searching for it and it's like it doesn't exist and all I'm seeing is 1/8-3/16 thick tape.
Try doubling up the thinner tape.