Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-09-2015, 06:45 AM   #21

All four should match. If you do get LT's, put them on all four corners. Not sure about Timbrens. They may not offer them for it.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:53 AM   #22

I'd never mix tires, I'd want all the same size. Others would know more about mixing sizes and types than me.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:22 AM   #23
Jim

I knew the answer when I hit enter on my comment but thanks for the responses... Do the LT's give a significantly different ride (worse) than the passenger tires? I am thinking that replacing the shocks with some that are a little stiffer and changing to an LT might help with leveling my tow vehicle a little more and give us a little better ride while towing.
Equalizer 4 10K Hitch System
P2 Brake Controller
Full Timer Wanna-be's
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:44 AM   #24

LT tires are an all around better choice for a truck/full size SUV because not only do they carry more load, provide a firmer and more stable ride, they also are more resistant to flats because they are all around a tougher tire. I have upgraded to LTs on all of my trucks so far, and never once have had a single tire problem.

The reason Ford put P rated tires on some of their F150s (with the 20in rims) is because LTs are heavier due to the extra sidewall plys. More weight means more power to turn them, which costs fuel. They chose the Pirelli Scorpion because it is the lightest 20in tire that meets (barely) the payload and towing requirements. They were junk in all other accounts and were the first thing to be swapped out on my truck.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:33 PM   #25

I too had some bounce with my 2013 EB F150 towing my 29QBS. Not as extreme as you reported but still not fun. I recently returned from our first decent length trip after adding Bilstein HD shocks and Timbren SES. What a difference in ride. I also spent some time adjusting/trying new settings with the WDH. It resulted in a huge improvement in bounce/porpoise and sway is much reduced as well. No white knuckles at all.
jconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:14 PM   #26

OP Here. Thanks again for all your responses and suggestions.

Yesterday I installed a pair of Roadmaster Active Suspension on the truck, and today I re-measured and re-setup the equalizer weight distribution system. It was way too tight and the trailer coupler was way too low, and after thinking about it the truck was at a pitched down angle backed to a level trailer when the dealer installed it which would explain why it was setup so low. Its now adjusted so the loaded front axel clearance is about 1/8 inch higher than the unloaded clearance, and the trailer is level on the ball.

Unloaded, truck drives Beautiful with the RAS and I can turn corners MUCH faster now, no body roll at all. Overall I gained a hair under an inch of lift in the back.

Took it on a towing test about 90 miles on the same highway that gave me problems, the fresh newer pavement "harmonic" bounce is very minimized and nearly non existent at 55-60MPH. Whats new is that on normal "bad" and "rough" road, the truck now bounces a lot more when the trailer goes over it. I also think I got a little better gas mileage, around 9MPG according to the factory gauge, had barely seen much over 8.2 before, sometimes down near 7. How much of this was due to increased load and "squish" on the tires due to collapsed leaf springs is hard to judge of course.

I think my next thing to tackle will be the factory shocks with 30K miles on it with some Rancho RS9000 (due to the adjustability) hoping to minimize the bounce some. Some of the more violent bounces on the truck actually get a few up and downs off the front suspension.

Second change, since the camping season in Iowa is coming to an end shortly, I am hoping to get 1 more winter out of these "wonderful" p rated tires Ford installed with their "maximum tow package" and then get some LT tires on it next spring.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:46 PM   #27

Just my luck! I have an F150 with the crappy p metric tires and live right off of 81 in Pa. The stretch heading north past the intersection of I 80 is brutal. When we camp nearby, my wife drives separately as it makes her stomach upset. I had to hit a rest stop 20 minutes after leaving home last time so she could get a break from the bouncing.
Brett K is offline   Reply With Quote