Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-31-2017, 05:40 PM   #1

Road side assistance plan

My free coach-net roadside assistance expires in a couple of months. Just got a offer in the mail from Good Sam for roadside assistance.

$69.95/yr. Unlimited distance towing, flat tire service, covers any vehicle I have not just the RV.

Offer expires 2/15/2017.

I'm a member of AAA and will check with them also for a RV rider. Just your thoughts and experiences with Good Sam or Coach-net for now.

I have a Jayco Jay Feather 23RLSW TT.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:44 PM   #2
Site Team

I have been a member of GRS for many years and have been very satisfied with their service.

That price is an introductory price and will go up to around $100 next time you renew. Still a bargain if you have to be towed or need help.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:51 PM   #3

We have Good Sam road service and so far, so good. We haven't needed to use it (luckily), but I like knowing it's there if we need it. My dad had to be towed over 100 miles with his FW on a Thanksgiving many years ago. Good Sam covered the entire bill. We use to have AAA, but it was more costly if I remember correctly.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:54 PM   #4

We just signed up for the Good Sam roadside assistance plan for a little peace of mind. Have no experience with it or any others and hope we never need it.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:20 PM   #5

I've had it for about 16 years. Used it twice in that time. Two bad fuel pumps in two different units. Go Figure!
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:03 PM   #6

I have roadside assistance through my insurance company (Progressive), costs me $11.00/yr. Covers towing to the nearest service center. The truck is covered under my normal Ford warranty.
If I had a motor home I might be inclined to spend more on roadside assistance. But for a trailer, there is very little that could not be fixed at the nearest shop.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:53 AM   #7
Lost in the Woods

When we looked at it GS coverage was extremely limited in Canada (non-existent) whereas CAA/AAA coverage is the same throughout North America and the RV option means they will tow your 5th or TT as well if you break down. The best option may depend on where you do most of your travelling.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:59 PM   #8
Site Team

I have used mine a good many times over the years. Mostly dead trucks and cars and flat tires. It's good insurance IMO.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 02-02-2017, 10:03 AM   #9

I don't see much talk about Coach Net here, mostly Good Sam. I'm not sure there's a lot of difference. I've had CN since '11, never used it after pulling a dumb thing in a parking lot ten minutes after driving off the dealer's lot.

After moving to California and having seven vehicles to register, and with DMV refusing to let me set up a cot at their facility, I joined AAA Auto Club of Southern California's basic coverage. Worked wonders for getting all my tags, except the dually. But looking at the plan, it only covers me, family members are extra, and free towing limit is seven, yup, seven miles.

Gotta repair that signature.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
My free coach-net roadside assistance expires in a couple of months. Just got a offer in the mail from Good Sam for roadside assistance.

$69.95/yr. Unlimited distance towing, flat tire service, covers any vehicle I have not just the RV.

Offer expires 2/15/2017.

I'm a member of AAA and will check with them also for a RV rider. Just your thoughts and experiences with Good Sam or Coach-net for now.

I have a Jayco Jay Feather 23RLSW TT.
I use Good Sam, they cover every vehicle (RV, Auto, Motorcycle) and every driver in my home. I found Coach-Net to be deceptive...their unlimited mileage is to "their nearest authorized facility". I ended up paying $90 to be towed to my mechanic that was 45 miles away. I immediately canceled and received a pro-rated refund. I just can't stand deceptive marketing.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:02 PM   #11

We've had GS Roadside for almost 5 years and have used it 3 times. It's good to have when you need it. I've come to regard it as just another expense involved in trailering.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 12:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavblk View Post
I use Good Sam, they cover every vehicle (RV, Auto, Motorcycle) and every driver in my home. I found Coach-Net to be deceptive...their unlimited mileage is to "their nearest authorized facility". I ended up paying $90 to be towed to my mechanic that was 45 miles away. I immediately canceled and received a pro-rated refund. I just can't stand deceptive marketing.
Not sure I would call that deceptive, unless they stated that they would tow to your mechanic of choice and then refused. I mean think about it. What if there was a repair facility a few miles away but "your" mechanic was 1000 miles away. Would you expect them to pay to take it to "your" mechanic? My guess is you will find Good Sam would not do that either.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 12:44 PM   #13
Site Team

Jayco gives you a year of Coach Net with a new purchase.

I inquired about it and it is only for the camper. Does not cover any thing else. I already had that with GRS so I never even signed up with them.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 02-02-2017, 01:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavblk View Post
Good Sam has exactly the same limits. You should read your contracts more carefully.

From GS FAQ page:

Q:
How much of a tow will Good Sam Roadside Assistance pay for?

A: Unlike roadside assistance providers who have mileage restrictions on what they pay for a tow, Good Sam Roadside Assistance offers unlimited towing to the nearest service provider.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:32 PM   #15

Wow, lots of GoodSam. I'm on CoachNet but i haven't had to use them (thankfully). Seems I'm in the minority; perhaps I should switch over come July ....

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:01 PM   #16

I do a lot of out of state camping out west. I haven't checked with AAA yet but the 7 mile limit is not good.

Still doing research on Coach-net and GS. Had GS when I had my class A Monaco, luckily never had to use it in the 13 years I owned it.

Looking at the GS letter I got in the mail, seems like a good deal as they are showing regular cost is $117.95/yr. Again cost would be $69.95/yr.

Save almost $50.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:47 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
Looking at the GS letter I got in the mail, seems like a good deal as they are showing regular cost is $117.95/yr. Again cost would be $69.95/yr.

Save almost $50.
Yo know that is an introductory price for the first year. After I had been a customer for a good many years, they made me an offer to auto bill every year for the price I was then paying and it would never go up as long as I paid it that way.

That was 4 years ago and it has not increased.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 02-03-2017, 07:18 AM   #18

Norty1, I realize it a one shot deal, or maybe if I call them up and beg, I might be able to swing a great deal like you have.

I was a customer for 13 years before.

Has anyone out there used a roadside assistance plan, other than what has been mentioned here?
Old 02-03-2017, 07:46 AM   #19

I have GEICO's roadside, but after reading this thread I'm going to read more closely what exactly the coverage entails! I may be switching if it doesn't include the 5er. Now, I will say, when I purchased the roadside, I was told that the 5er is covered. But, now I need to sit down and actually read it.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:49 AM   #20
Site Team

We too switched from AAA to GS a few years ago. The only "down side", if you can even call it that, is AAA covers you in any vehicle you're riding in, where as GS covers only your vehicles registered to you. Not a deal breaker at all. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but GS will tow BOTH TV and RV, if the TV breaks down. I think AAA will leave your RV on the side of the road, and only hook the vehicle. Even with the RV/Plus coverage. Also GS was less expensive for more benefits.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote