Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-01-2016, 08:31 PM   #1

Roadmaster Active Suspension

I noticed on a few posts that some have installed the Roadmaster Active Suspension system on their TV. I've looked at a number of youtube videos and reviews. They all look great, easy to install, etc. Question - do they really make a difference worth the $? I'm new to towing something this large (30', 6,000+lb trailer) so don't know good vs bad but will take all the help I can get for stability going down the freeway.
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:56 PM   #2

I was very happy with the RAS purchase.

Not sure what your towing with, but when I had my F150 SCREW, and my 29BHDS (7300LBS+) it made a noticeable difference in the ride of the TV when towing. It also improved the driving of the TV when not towing, I noticed when taking 280 degree cloverleafs etc on the interstate much different, could take them faster and feel safe. It cornered much better.

The install was very easy, probably 60-90 minutes if you have a floor jack and some jack stands. The only disassembly on my truck was taking the tires off, everything else fit over all existing suspension/bolts so nothing else was taken loose.

One other thing, if you don't have LT rated tires but passenger tires (start with a P for size I believe), air up your tires when you are towing to near their maximum PSI, I noticed a much better ride when I did this.

(PS, this is the 3rd post I have mentioned RAS on this evening, I am starting to feel like a commercial, but I was very happy with it. If it was compatible with my new truck I would have ordered instantly)

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:01 PM   #3

Thanks. I did a search of the forum and saw a number of positive posts on the RAS in other threads on towing, sway and bounce. I have a 2014 F150 SCrew Platinum. Really love the truck but it does have a bit of a stiff ride when empty. According to the ads these things will help that as well. Just hard to believe that with all the other steel, springs, etc under my truck that these little clips and springs can make that big of a difference.
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:17 PM   #4

My best advice on your TV, If you have P-rated tires air them up to near max pressure indicated on the tire itself ( I think mine was 45 PSI so I went to about 43) and tow a bit with it first, much cheaper for Air than the RAS. I had a 2013 F150 SCREW Lariat with Maxtow with both the tire experience and RAS, so very similar

The air pressure in the tires was the biggest difference I noticed, the RAS was the second biggest. I actually did the RAS before I did the tires, wish I had done the reverse in hindsight. I still don't regret the RAS however, it was the difference between the wife and kids wanting to ride in a different vehicle vs not.

If you find the PSI makes a big difference, next time you change tires, look at LT rated tires which have much stronger sidewalls. The P rated tires the sidewalls flex, gives it a little left-right wobble in the back end is as best I can describe it when you have load on the truck. LT tires wont do that at all or nearly as much. To give you an idea, my F150 had a recommended PSI of 36PSI, my Ram 2500 its like 70PSI.

BOTH options however will change your ride a little empty, just warning. The RAS didn't change it that much but it was a hair stiffer in the back end, but again, cornered better. Ford puts P rated tires on there to make the ride better, I am convinced.

Nothing has been as drastic however as going from a 1/2 ton to a 3/4 ton, the 1/2 ton rode so much better empty, there are days on rough roads as my daily driver I miss my F150.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote