Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2011, 09:35 AM   #1

Roof cleaning - new trailer

Our new 2011 28BHS has been sitting in the driveway for a couple months waiting for spring. We've had a lot of rain and I started seeing black streaks on the siding. Went up on the roof, and it was nasty.

Advice to all who buy a new trailer - clean and condition your rubber roof ASAP. I was amazed how dirty it was.

I picked up a bottle of Protect All rubber roof cleaner and went to work. Don't use a mop, it just doesn't work as well as a sponge and elbow grease. Took me almost 4 hours but I scrubbed every square inch of the roof and it's as white as a sheet. I was running out of spray so I picked up a bottle of Camco roof cleaner at Wal Mart (camping store was closed). It was only $8 (compared to $18 for the Protect-All). But it sucks. Didn't clean at all and made a huge mess. So i diluted down the little bit of Protect-All I had left and finished the last little bit with that. Let it dry overnight and applied the Protect All Roof treatment. Looks good now.

Washed her last night and most of the streaking came off the siding. I have a jug of Meguiar's 63 "Flagship" wax and will try that tonight.

Our first camping trip is this weekend. Supposed to be in the 70's and sunny. Finally.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:51 AM   #2

I like using Protect-All Rubber Roof "cleaner" with spong and lots of elbow movements as well. Just like hand washing my home's kitchen floor - while on all 4s. Protect-All Rubber Roof "treatment" makes the roof look great afterwards as well. If wondering, I hand clean and treat my TT's roof every 6 months. Thus, making its roof last much longer. And, eliminating those black streaks. Sounds like this general maintenance task works great on your TT's roof as well....

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:03 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I've reduced sidewall black streaking by about 75% after installing Camco Gutter extensions ($6-$8 for a set of 4).

Also, when my TT is parked between trips I keep the tongue of the trailer "up" slightly so most of the roof surface water drains off the rear rather than down the front cap.

I minimize my trips onto the TT roof to avoid disturbing the caulking/seals around vents, stink pipes, A/C, etc.. I do however give my roof a mild cleaning in the spring, but I stand from a sturdy step ladder using a soft bristle RV brush with an extension handle.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike99 View Post
. I like using Protect-All Rubber Roof "cleaner" with spong and lots of elbow movements as well. Just like hand washing my home's kitchen floor - while on all 4s. Protect-All Rubber Roof "treatment" makes the roof look great afterwards as well. If wondering, I hand clean and treat my TT's roof every 6 months. Thus, making its roof last much longer. And, eliminating those black streaks. Sounds like this general maintenance task works great on your TT's roof as well.... .
Found a video. re:

This is how I clean and treat my 2006 TT's EDPM roof. re: By hand and on all 4s wearning soft padded knee pads - the old fashion way. If wondering, the treatment every 6 months eliminates black streaks on my TT's roof. If wondering, I "let dry" 3+ hours between cleaning and treating the roof.

Hope this helps as well...
Old 05-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #5

Nice visual Spike. We've had our roof washed and treated by one of those mobile wash guys (same one each time) while camping down south. The guy used a mop but got down on hands and knees to 'treat' it. Don washed it once with a mop but didn't treat it. We may actually clean our tt ourselves the next time and use elbow grease on the roof to see how it turns out (it has some spotting from leaves). Thanks for posting the link
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #6

I have always cleaned our roof with Spic & Span and a soft brush. I have never put any protector on and the roof still looks and feels good. Should I put something on it and what would be best?
82corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82corvette View Post
I have always cleaned our roof with Spic & Span and a soft brush. I have never put any protector on and the roof still looks and feels good. Should I put something on it and what would be best?
Cleaning is a good idea.

Some folks do and some folks don't apply "treatment" on their roofs. If one sells / replaces their RVs every 5 years then IMO, don't waste one's time. Simply use and trade - like the majority of folks. If one plans to keep their TT for 10+ years and is comfortable on a roof, then treating the roof every 6 months is a good idea. to me, roof treatment is kjst like applying shoe polish to one's shoes every 6 months. re: Great idea for longer life. If wondering, I've seen the before and after effect of roof treatment and how it can make an RV roof last many years longer. Since I plan to keep my TT for life (even for our grand kids to enjoy), I treat my TT's roof. But if I traded / replaced my TT every 5-10 years (like majority of folks), I'd simply wash my TT's roof 1 time per year and enjoy....

If wondering, I've had great results with Protect-All Roof Treatment. This sping, I plan to try Magic Boss treatment. Seems to be simular product. I hear Dicor Roof Guard ( http://www.vostrailers.ca/Parts-Details.asp?sysid=1383 ) is a good product as well.

For more details on Roof Maintenance, surf: http://www.dicor.com/resources/PDF/R...Care_&_Mnt.pdf Note: See the bottom statement of this document. They recommend Dicor Roof Guard after cleaning.

Hope this helps...

Old 06-01-2011, 06:13 AM   #8

Roof Cleaning

I clean my 2010 Eagle roof with car wash and water, let dry then apply "303" its expensive but it really last a long time. 303 is great to use on the rubber on the slides. Another great cleaner for the body of the unit, is Scrubbing Bubbles Foaming Shower Cleaner, spray on, wipe of wash off, really works well to take bugs off the front of the trailer and the truck bumper.

Happy cleaning, I got top dollar for my 2004 Eagle when I traded because it was clean, and the holding tanks did not smell! I always ad a 1/2 cup of cheap laundry detergent to my holding tank chemicals. It helps clean the tank, makes it smell better and the contents more "slick" to making dumping faster!
buckeyejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82corvette View Post
Previous fiver roof manufacturer said to clean with Spic & Span and NOT to treat it with anything. Current unit's roof manufacturer says to clean it with a cleaner like 409 and NOT to use any roof treatment. The roof material itself is warranted for 12 years and I never keep a unit that long.
rbrumfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrumfield View Post
Previous fiver roof manufacturer said to clean with Spic & Span and NOT to treat it with anything. Current unit's roof manufacturer says to clean it with a cleaner like 409 and NOT to use any roof treatment. The roof material itself is warranted for 12 years and I never keep a unit that long.
My roof (Alpha Systems) says you can treat it and specifically names 303 and Protect-All as recommended treatments.

It does say you can clean it with Ajax.... That will save a lot of money versus the Protect-All cleaner!
Old 06-08-2011, 05:47 PM   #11

My dealer told me to use Murphy's oil soap. I bought my TT last fall covered it for the winter so the roof still looks new. I plan on giving the roof a scrubbing in the fall
tman5781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:23 PM   #12

I just ran across this thread our 230SL had the aluminum roof, so I'm new to the rubber roof. We are in the unique position of keeping our trailer in a building, except when we are camping 2-2 1/2 weeks a year. The roof need cleaned now which will be a spring job.
After that what would be the thought on roof cleaning in my situation.