Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2015, 09:08 AM   #1

Roof Leak

I keep having water dripping from the penetration where the tv antenna is during a rainstorm. I have taken it to the dealer several times and they fix it but it eventually leaks again. I'm currently in the middle of a 10 day trip and want to try to fix it myself. Is there some sort of silicon that I can spray around the roof penetration and is there anything that can get damaged between the exterior roof and interior roof?
Mountain runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:17 AM   #2

I know this video might not fix your problem, but might give you an idea of how it comes apart. You more than likely have an O-ring bad or something. I'm guessing it's leaking down the shaft. Not really a quick fix other than the o-ring seal.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:02 AM   #3

I did take the crank handle off and felt up around inside and it is pretty dry so I am assuming the water is coming directly down the shaft .
Mountain runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:03 AM   #4

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
I know this video might not fix your problem, but might give you an idea of how it comes apart. You more than likely have an O-ring bad or something. I'm guessing it's leaking down the shaft. Not really a quick fix other than the o-ring seal.
Hey Big John, that was a great video on maintenance of the antenna. Thanks for your efforts.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:28 AM   #5

Are you sure it is coming from the antenna? Are you seeing it from inside the trailer from only that spot? The reason I ask is the antenna goes through the headliner and then up through the roof. It could possibly be leaking from somewhere else and the antenna is just the low point on the headliner where it is coming from. You should be able to put a water hose up there and lightly water around the antenna to see if that is truely where the leak is coming from - if you haven't done that already. My thinking is that may be why the dealer hasn't been able to fix it yet.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain runner View Post
I keep having water dripping from the penetration where the tv antenna is during a rainstorm. I have taken it to the dealer several times and they fix it but it eventually leaks again. I'm currently in the middle of a 10 day trip and want to try to fix it myself. Is there some sort of silicon that I can spray around the roof penetration and is there anything that can get damaged between the exterior roof and interior roof?

Mine did this also. In the middle of a camping trip. To stop the leak, I used duck tape around where the antenna turns. Once I got home, I disassembled the unit and found that the square cut o-ring had rolled during installation at the factory. I replaced the o-ring and no more leaks.

Here is a link to my thread... http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f4...tml#post191844
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:22 AM   #7

Sounds like a messy problem. Have you contacted any roof repair services yet? When the roof of our office started to leak due to its age we called Empire Roofing Corporation ( Commercial Roofing Services & Contractors | Empire Roofing Corporation ) to repair it. They concentrate mainly on commercial roof maintenance but I'll tell them about this situation of yours. Maybe they can offer some advice regarding this situation of yours.
BranFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:39 AM   #8

Out brand new 2016 did the same thing. It goes to the dealer next week. I hope they can get it right. I am tired of having a bucket by the door.
ArvdaJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:49 AM   #9

You can quick fix it till you get home with a sealant but, it'll have to come completely off to do the repair correctly.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote