Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-20-2017, 01:49 PM   #1

Roof seam sealer ?

On the roof doing some cleaning and I see these cracks in the seam sealer. The downside of storing outside in the sun.

What is this sealer? Do I need to scrape off and then re-apply?

Stephen
2006 F250 CC SRW SB 6.0l Powerstroke
2004 Jayco 29BHS
stepheneadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 02:01 PM   #2

Eternabond tape is the best for all the straight runs, never have to seal those again. Dicor self leveling for around the vent caps. No you don't need to remove the old caulk, just be sure the new goes a little past the edge of the old.

By the looks of those, do it quick.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:19 PM   #3

It's in your best interest to remove the caulk on that main seam with EternaBond tape and it's good forever. You'll have to use 6" wide tape for good coverage. Now I removed the old screws and replaced them with ones that have a flater head, were 1size up and 1/4" longer. While you're at it on the roof cut a piece 4x6 and put it at the end under the TV antenna mast where it makes contact with the roof.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-20-2017, 03:25 PM   #4

Ayup, yer a little on the overdue side from the looks of it.

The roof sealant of choice is the Dicor brand self-leveling lap sealant. And yes, you generally put it right over the old stuff after you've cleaned the roof.

As has been suggested, look into Eternabond tape if you're going to be keeping the trailer and are are willing to do a little more work up front to get superior results and keep the water out.

My trailer's a 2017, and I used the Dicor to patch a few areas that Jayco and the dealer missed, but I'm going to go the Eternabond route.

Do a search or two on Eternabond for roof sealing, and you'll learn as much as you need to know. The transition between the metal of the trailer and the rubber roof is very prone to leaking and a good place for Eternabond.

Typically, Eternabond can be applied right over top of the Dicor that's already on there, but because mine's so new, I'm going to level the existing sealant (still fairly soft) with a razor blade prior to the Eterna. To each their own?

I'm guessing they don't use Eternabond at the factory because it would be much more expensive, particularly with regard to labor. They can put on Dicor just as fast as they can squeeze it out, but Eterna requires a primer, a wait period, and then careful application. MUCH more labor, but nothing difficult for the owner to do.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 03:27 PM   #5

After looking at the pictures again especially the second one, you better remove those screws and see if their rusty and I bet they are.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:33 PM   #6

[QUOTE=Siamese;558741]Ayup, yer a little on the overdue side from the looks of it.

The roof sealant of choice is the Dicor brand self-leveling lap sealant. And yes, you generally put it right over the old stuff after you've cleaned the roof.

As has been suggested, look into Eternabond tape if you're going to be keeping the trailer and are are willing to do a little more work up front to get superior results and keep the water out.

Typically, Eternabond can be applied right over top of the Dicor that's already on there, but because mine's so new, I'm going to level the existing sealant (still fairly soft) with a razor blade prior to the Eterna. To each their own?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, No, No, razor blade. You should by all means use a plastic putty knife. You'll find that a plastic putty knife goes thru it vary easily.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:40 PM   #7

Thanks so much for the info. Looks like another "project".

Stephen
2004 Jayco 29BHS
Old 08-20-2017, 06:22 PM   #8
Site Team

Don't postpone it, that seam could already be leaking.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:00 PM   #9

Roof seam sealer ?

Nope. Already ordered eternabond and dicor from Amazon. Will be here this week. Clearly my next Saturday project.

Stephen
2004 Jayco 29BHS
Old 08-20-2017, 07:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepheneadams View Post
Nope. Already ordered eternabond and divorce from Amazon. Will be here this week. Clearly my next Saturday project.

Stephen
2004 Jayco 29BHS
So your getting divorced from Amazon??
Old 08-20-2017, 07:17 PM   #11

Dang auto-correct ! [emoji12]

Stephen
2004 Jayco 29BHS
Old 08-20-2017, 10:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Eternabond tape is the best for all the straight runs, never have to seal those again. Dicor self leveling for around the vent caps. No you don't need to remove the old caulk, just be sure the new goes a little past the edge of the old.

By the looks of those, do it quick.
I did my roof this spring. I used most of a 50 foot rool. I did not remove the old caulking. I did every seam, including around the frig vent, roof vent, and the sewer vents. The sewer vents took some effort. I used two main pieces that were overlapped, and cut a half circle into them. Then I used a lot of small pieces, to lap up the side of the pipe, and overlaps the big sheets of eternabond. A bit of work, but was well worth it. Only thing I did not seal was the caulking for the tv antenna.

One thing to know about eternabond,. Do not stretch it when your installing it. It will release from the roof on a few days, if stretched. If installed correctly it will never release.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:38 PM   #13

Hit the seams with tape and the others with dicor. Easy work and it all looks great. Thanks for the tips.

Stephen
2004 Jayco 29BHS