Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-16-2016, 08:06 PM   #1

rotting floor around doorway

Anyone have suggestions for fixing a soft floor ? Discoloured vinyl flooring suggests it was wet. Now dry but soft. It is directly behind a wheel well and by the door.
aws1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:09 PM   #2
BCK

Don't count on it being dry. I had a trailer that had water ingress. Came in the front corner of the roof and down the inside of the wall into the floor cavity. The underbelly and flooring overlap so once water gets in it has no way to get out unless you open it up, remove the wet insulation in the floor and let it dry out.

Make sure it is dry before spending the time and effort on a fix. Dry rot is real problem once it gets in and unless you stop it the first time you will be fixing again next spring. Lots of good info on YouTube.

It is a big job to fix. In the end I ended up gutting my unit and replacing the floor and quite a bit of the framing. The only evidence was a small soft spot in the floor by the door.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:14 PM   #3

I agree with BCK that this needs careful investigation!

However - after you determine that it is indeed dry now and /or fix the source of the water.
And after you check to make sure you're only dealing with a small spot, you might check out some of the epoxy products developed for handling dry-rot in the wood boating industry. They make epoxy compounds that soak into wood and replace the rotten part, bond to the good wood and make a really solid fix. But it only works IF and only IF the wood around the fix is solid and doesn't continue to rot. It takes a bit of care and then some sanding to get it right but it can be much cheaper than pulling out enough to replace a section of floor.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:36 PM   #4

osb and clear penetrating epoxy sealer

My rotten floor is wet and soft. Has anyone had any luck with CPES and the wafer board (OSB) flooring?
Old 04-27-2016, 04:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aws1957 View Post
My rotten floor is wet and soft. Has anyone had any luck with CPES and the wafer board (OSB) flooring?
When I toured the plant they did not use wafer board but rather Plum Creek plywood, I was impressed as that's a quality product, much cheaper plywood available.
Wafer board has a good deal of adhesive in it to begin with. Not sure how different adhesives would work together...

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:06 PM   #6

I dried out the floor. Soaked the dry floor with CPES. 2 months later after a lot of hot dry weather I covered the osb in the entrance (about 14 Sq ft) with 1/2" fir plywood. I tacked it down in about 8 spots. laid loose-lay flooring, put a transition strip into the bathroom and one toward the Sink side. It looks great, is stable and we got used to the transition strip immediately with no problems. I did not have to remove the walls, cabinetry etc
Old 08-29-2016, 06:12 PM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
What Make & Model and Year is the unit?
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote