Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-01-2016, 07:58 PM   #1

Rubber roof?

Can someone find out the correct info for me please? My neighbor said I should never go up on my rubber roof because I can break the trusses? Can someone confirm for me that my roof is not accessible? I have a 2010 Jayco Jayfeather 22Y. I was up there today checking the caulk around the roof vent today not knowing I could damage the roof. How will we install the roof vent covers if we can't get up there? Yikes!
lukenick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:13 PM   #2

Just be careful, the roof will hold your weight no problem.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Just be careful, the roof will hold your weight no problem.
I weigh 110 and hubby weighs 150. I want him to install some roof vent covers for me without damaging anything.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:28 PM   #4

I'm not sure if the JayFeather has the roof trusses or if they are simply horizontal 2x2's.

If they have trusses like the JayFlight and Eagle line, you could probably have the whole family up there eating a picnic lunch. If its just 2x2's, you need to be more delicate. I'm 6-04 250 lbs and have been on the roof of my JayFlight (very stable, you can walk across it) and my old Nash with 2x2 joists (not very stable at all, I can to sit and scoot and spread my weight across multiple joists).

At your weights, you should be fine. Until you know for certain though, you should probably sit down and have as wide a base as possible to spread your weight across multiple joists/trusses.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:32 PM   #5

When I was up on our JayFeather roof, I layed on my stomach while installing a vent cover to distribute my weight. It didn't feel unsafe, just better safe than sorry.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:07 PM   #6

I just checked the manual, it doesn't even mention a thing about the roof. That's odd.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:08 PM   #7

The manual I have is Jayco Jayfeather Eagle Super lite.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:21 AM   #8

What I did was take up a small, say 3' x 3' piece of plywood to kneel on to install the vent cover on our hybrid. I also used the same plywood for fixing and caulk cracks and re-sealing. Make sure your hubby is careful with any stones stuck in the bottom of shoes if you have a gravel drive.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:15 AM   #9

There is no problem being up there. Actually the manual tells you to inspect the caulking twice a year.

The membrane is very thin and delicate. I nicked mine the first time going up the ladder. Now I put the stabilizers down, wrap the ladder were it meets the roof with a couple shop towels. I make sure my pockets are fairly empty, the soles of my shoes are clean. I'm 200 pounds and I feel the roof flexing under foot.

If you do not do the maintenance you will get leaks!

I would love to hear your neighbors reason for not being up there, and where he got his info, as there are a lot of miss beliefs out there on every subject.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
There is no problem being up there. Actually the manual tells you to inspect the caulking twice a year.

The membrane is very thin and delicate. I nicked mine the first time going up the ladder. Now I put the stabilizers down, wrap the ladder were it meets the roof with a couple shop towels. I make sure my pockets are fairly empty, the soles of my shoes are clean. I'm 200 pounds and I feel the roof flexing under foot.

If you do not do the maintenance you will get leaks!

I would love to hear your neighbors reason for not being up there, and where he got his info, as there are a lot of miss beliefs out there on every subject.
What kind of caulking do I use?
Old 04-02-2016, 08:40 AM   #11

Dicor self-leveling for roof cutouts or the equivalent. (You can check rubber roof manufacturer's site to see if they have brand suggestions.)

Do not use household caulks on your camper.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbravo View Post
Dicor self-leveling for roof cutouts or the equivalent. (You can check rubber roof manufacturer's site to see if they have brand suggestions.)

Do not use household caulks on your camper.
What about for the roof edges?
Old 04-02-2016, 09:43 AM   #13

I have only had one RV in which I was hesitant to be on the roof. That was my first pop-up tent trailer. Even if your roof is made of the 2X2 construction, it will still support your weight.
As the overall theme of what many people are saying; be careful, your roof is not a trampoline.
Wherever your neighbor got his/her information, perhaps a friendly talk with them is in order. Sit back and think of this in a logical common sense situation.
People take RV's of all sorts and makes to repair shops all the time to have vents replace, air conditioners serviced, ladders installed, etc. and so on. Some of these jobs require more than one person getting on the roof and an RV at a time. Or do you think the RV industry installed all the roof items on your RV when it was built by suspending their installers by wires above the RV? How do you think all the original caulking got put on and inspected when the RV was built?

Just be careful and take steps to spread your weight. It will be fine.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 01:20 PM   #14

Don't know if you have this for reference.

http://www.jayco.com/files/downloads...ilename_59.pdf
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 04:02 PM   #15

Just going to put my $0.02 in here. I'm new to TT's and own a 154BH (just picked it up on Friday actually). I was up there checking the "rubber roof" out myself during the PDI. I was actually on a ladder leaning on it with my arms, so not really on it.

The dealer mentioned about making sure if you ever scrape a tree to stop and immediately check the rubber roof out. He said if there's a tear to bring it in for service or you could get water damage.

I'd more likely use this stuff to seal it: https://sugru.com/

I've used it for EVERYTHING. A buddy of mine wore a tool in his pocket that ripped his leather seats in his BMW when he sat down on it. The BMW dealer quoted him some insane amount of money ($600+) to repair the seat. We bought black Sugru (they sell it at Target now) and sealed the tear in the black leather seat with it. It looks awesome and it flexes perfectly with the leather when you sit on it.

I've used it to embed magnets in it and mount things to my walls at home. I plan on doing it in my camper on the walls so I can mount a few tablets for viewing "shows." I say shows because we don't watch TV any more, though they make adapters for tablets that you can plug in an OTA (over the air) antenna coaxial cable and watch/record HDTV signals.

If you have a tear - I'd try Sugru, it's dead simple to work with.

Watch the videos on their website and you'll start to get some crazy ideas of things you can do with it.
armyturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 04:49 PM   #16

On the 2016 models I believe they use a Dicor Diflex II TPO rubber roof membrane.

I'm not sure what material is used on your 2010 model. Best to check with Jayco for what type it is and buy the correct caulking based on what they tell you.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:58 PM   #17

The Sugru stuff looks interesting, but I think most people would grab a roll of Durabond to fix a nick or rip in the rubber roof. Highly recommended to use the cleaner first, and then nothing is going to get this stuff off.

There are a couple of really good threads on here about Durabond, you can use it as a seam sealer over old Dicor if you want as well. Just get a roll wide enough to bridge over (comes in 3 widths).
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 05:17 PM   #18

his is good stuff also.

EternaBond RoofSeal WHITE Repair Tape, 2 in. x 50 ft. Roll
Old 04-03-2016, 06:20 PM   #19

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Lucknick1; No problem to walk on Jayco roofs, but be careful, do not twist shoes. It is better to use soft shoes. If the self levelling dicor has cracks you have to seal it again.
Clean the area you are sealing and blowout the cracks with air.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyturtle View Post
Just going to put my $0.02 in here. I'm new to TT's and own a 154BH (just picked it up on Friday actually). I was up there checking the "rubber roof" out myself during the PDI. I was actually on a ladder leaning on it with my arms, so not really on it.

The dealer mentioned about making sure if you ever scrape a tree to stop and immediately check the rubber roof out. He said if there's a tear to bring it in for service or you could get water damage.

I'd more likely use this stuff to seal it: https://sugru.com/

I've used it for EVERYTHING. A buddy of mine wore a tool in his pocket that ripped his leather seats in his BMW when he sat down on it. The BMW dealer quoted him some insane amount of money ($600+) to repair the seat. We bought black Sugru (they sell it at Target now) and sealed the tear in the black leather seat with it. It looks awesome and it flexes perfectly with the leather when you sit on it.

I've used it to embed magnets in it and mount things to my walls at home. I plan on doing it in my camper on the walls so I can mount a few tablets for viewing "shows." I say shows because we don't watch TV any more, though they make adapters for tablets that you can plug in an OTA (over the air) antenna coaxial cable and watch/record HDTV signals.

If you have a tear - I'd try Sugru, it's dead simple to work with.

Watch the videos on their website and you'll start to get some crazy ideas of things you can do with it.
I took a quick look at the link and while it looks pretty cool I don't think I'd use it when the are tried and true products out there designed for this specific task. If that stuff has any petroleum products in It the result can be damage to the roof.

Rubber roofs are amazing but they are temperamental.

Enjoy your new camper.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote