Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-03-2015, 08:55 AM   #1

Rubber seal ?

What is the best slide out rubber seal conditioner to use? TKU
bereta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:04 AM   #2

This may seem strange to you, but IMHO a very lite coat of baby powder applied with a rag. Has worked for my last 2 TTs and others have also commented about it on this Forum. Can't explain why it works but it seems to for me.
Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by havnfun View Post
This may seem strange to you, but IMHO a very lite coat of baby powder applied with a rag. Has worked for my last 2 TTs and others have also commented about it on this Forum. Can't explain why it works but it seems to for me.
Happy RVing,
Jeff
I've heard that the seals are coated with baby powder when they are made and shipped.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:10 AM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Baby powder preserves rubber from aging. (Have rubber extension cords still from the 60's in good condition I tread with baby powder yearly) Rubber cable manufactures use it a lot. Also in the electrical industry it helps to pull in wiring/cabling in conduit because of the slippery effect of the powder.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:12 AM   #5

The problem I'm having is the upper, top, left side seal is sticking behind the slide out corner. I have to physically run my finger behind the rubber seal to pull it out. The metal corner is scuffing the rubber. Trying to get it a little slicker to cut down on this scuffing. Can't really get to it with baby powder. Don't have any trouble with the right side or top seal. Tku
bereta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:00 PM   #6

A 100% silicone spray can also be used on rubber seals. For the slide out seal, I saturate a rag with the spray and wipe the seal down; this spreads the silicone without overspray, and also removes dirt from the seal.

Perhaps your slide is not centered; if it's still under warranty I'd recommend reporting the issue to the dealer and asking them to look at it. If it's not under warranty, perhaps you could look at the clearances on each side - they should be approximately even.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:29 AM   #7

I was having the same problem with the seal not pulling out. I ended up using a flat door seal from lows and put it about half way out on the slide and covered it with white duck tape. it gives the flap seal something to hit and fold it out or in when operating the slide.
That was a suggestion from some of the great people on this site. Im going to try the baby powder now.