Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-24-2014, 06:40 PM   #11
My unit is a 2009 so it looks real good for being on the gulf coast Salt air ...trust me i have stopped all rust ..

2009 Jay Flight G2
2014 RAM 3500 Turbo Diesel
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:44 AM   #12
If you have rust on the frame, check the underside of the trailer. I've had to replace just about every bolt on mine that attaches things like the main gas line, supports for the tank dump handle guides, step attachment bolts, etc. I don't know if they got a bad batch of self tapping bolts, but just about every one has broken. Even the ground bolt for the black and gray tank sensors!

2012 Jayflight 28 BHS
2014 F150, 5.0 L, 3.55 axle
Curious by Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:57 PM   #13
Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
As is said coastal area's and winters are salty. Maintenance is also part of your house, vehicles etc. From the production line (with minimum paint on the chassis) to the consumer might have been during the winter season. Also when the chassis is welded there would be already some rust forming. So when you are board on the campsite (or the kids) enjoy your self under your unit with a brush and spray can. Another option is a shop where they do the painting or undercoating for you.
It is just a matter of preference how you want to protect your investment.
If DW doesn't let me nap inside I take my tools and nap under the unit.......lol.
No rust on our TT's chassis......but then I'm not a napper either.
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:37 PM   #14
We bought a 31.5RLTS in Dec. 2011. We got it home and it was pretty bad from a rust standpoint. I have to believe that it had little to no paint on it when it was manufactured in the previous March. And it was brought to the dealers in winter weather. It was an education for me. Where do I go from here?? The in entire bottom needed sand blasting and repainting. Axles, hangers and frame. I was sure Jayco wasn't going to pay for that. It requires someone that is setup for sand blasting. The dealership certainly wasn't equiped for that kind of a project. I ended up finding a shop that specialized in that kind of repair. Had it all sandblasted and a heavy coat of epoxy paint was applied. I was charged $850 and I'm very grateful. It was a superb cleaning and paint job they did. I chalked up the charge to education!!! If there is a next time, I'll spend more time under the trailer.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:40 PM   #15
Thank you , all great info
mikebrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:22 PM   #16
Simple bad PDI at the dealer. I have never prepped a "brand new unit" (straight from the factory) that I havent killed at least one spray-bomb on the frame. These frames may sit for months, a year, or more, before being built on. Not to mention the time it may have sat on the dealers lot. (I know the average time a unit sits on our lot is 10-15 months).

I started with nothing, and still have most of it left
2001 Jayco KIWI 23B
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 AWD
qwed94 is offline   Reply With Quote