Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-09-2014, 02:43 PM   #1

RV campground near Vancouver, BC for newbies?

We just took delivery of a 2014 Jayco 20MRB travel trailer and have a GMC 2500HD Duramax. We've never been campers and this is our first TT, although we are experienced horse haulers. We live in south Surrey and are looking for suggestions for a first place to set up camp for 2 or 3 nights.

We are looking for a well-run place within 2 hours drive with full hookup (30 amp power, water and sani) minimum, plus any other goodies to help us ease into this e.g. wifi, cable, store, room service (just kidding) - whatever helps! It has to be pet friendly or we won't get a vote from our black lab. A scenic/hiking/tourist reason to be there would be nice as well.

Basically we know we are going to encounter teething trouble with trailering but we'd like to take "camping in a bad spot" out of the equation. All help appreciated, especially that based upon first hand experience. Thanks all!
GNijman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:14 PM   #2

Check out Fidalgo Bay Resort near Anacortes Wa. Come down I-5 and take US20 west. It's not far from Campworld just in case you need something and there's a Jayco dealer just a few miles south of that between Burlington and Mt.Vernon. The dog walk trail is right out your front door goes all the way to Anacortes. Food supplies ( the Market and Safeway are right on the trail. Anthony's rest.is at the Marina and the Rock Fish Grill is in old town and that's all with in about 1-1 1/2 miles from the resort ( it's on the water). Bicycles are a must for this resort location.
Take Exit #230 and go west on 20. Take the FIRST Fidalago Bay Road exit. Don't miss this exit because on the next exit you would have to make a hair pin turn that's impossible even with a car. If you do make this mistake it's no big deal just continue down the road a bit an do a turn around and we're not talking miles. Next to no traffic at this resort so you'll get good nights sleep and it's the same during the day. Any other questions just PM me and I live in Bellingham.
Tunce the traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:19 PM   #3

Forgot to mention it neighbor, I'll give you my phone # if you PM me.
Gary
Old 04-09-2014, 08:53 PM   #4

First trip Fort Langley Camping. Very close to home full service and nice place. We are headed to Birch Bay state park this upcoming weekend. Headed to Fort Langley for Easter weekend. We go to the Washington state parks quite often.

http://www.fortcamping.com

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
Check out Fidalgo Bay Resort near Anacortes Wa. Come down I-5 and take US20 west.
Much appreciated. We will take a trip south across the border with the TT this year I expect. I cross often to golf. I'm guessing I can't take a 24' trailer through the Nexus lane though!
Gary
GNijman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:36 AM   #6

good morning,

many longer campers cross at peace arch using nexus lane.

cheers.
grampacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #7

Here are parks right in Vancouver area
http://www.bing.com/entities/search?...l%22&FORM=LARE
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:44 PM   #8

We are getting our TT soon, but in prior years we took our pop up tent trailer down to Anacortes and stayed at Pioneer Trails. Loved it there - the people are incredibly friendly, they take you right to your site and help you back in, the sites have trees in between them. I'll have to check out the Fort Langley one, but for us it's way faster to go down to the US (especially with Nexus) than it is to head east towards the Fraser Valley on a long weekend.
kodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek700 View Post
First trip Fort Langley Camping. Very close to home full service and nice place. We are headed to Birch Bay state park this upcoming weekend. Headed to Fort Langley for Easter weekend. We go to the Washington state parks quite often.

http://www.fortcamping.com
this campground would be my first choice for you too. Hugh beach, great view. bring your bikes and canoes. I dry camped there for a week last year. (dry side has bigger sites.)

Tim
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpolsin View Post
this campground would be my first choice for you too. Hugh beach, great view. bring your bikes and canoes. I dry camped there for a week last year. (dry side has bigger sites.)

Tim
I'm going to put that one on my list for this summer and I'll bring the bikes.