Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-11-2016, 11:08 AM   #31

I've only been at one KOA with our new camper. It was 'OK'. It was in the mountains here, even though it was pretty much a parking lot you still had good views and the pancake breakfast they served was pretty awesome. The woman that made my daughters breakfast made a huge elephant shaped pancake... it was cute I guess.. Where KOA's really shine, and frankly, the only reason I ever stay at one is if we are doing a multi-state trip and you want a decent spot to park that isn't a Walmart. The one we were at had cabin rentals, tent spots, pull through sites and of course full hookups. I'm taking our camper out to California in the spring to visit family and I plan on staying at a few KOA's on the trip out. Actual 'camping' wont start until we get there.

Old 10-11-2016, 11:58 AM   #32
Site Team

I like them all.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:28 PM   #33

I can only speak to most, KOA's in the west. They do not allow full timers and the vast majority do not have seasonal either. As more and more folks are RVing it is less profitable to have long term campers, It is much more profitable to have daily campers. I have stayed at probably 40 KOA's in the west and none of them had long term campers. JMHO
Old 10-11-2016, 01:40 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
I can only speak to most, KOA's in the west. They do not allow full timers and the vast majority do not have seasonal either. As more and more folks are RVing it is less profitable to have long term campers, It is much more profitable to have daily campers. I have stayed at probably 40 KOA's in the west and none of them had long term campers. JMHO
Agreed. I've never seen a 'trailer park' KOA out here. Guess that happens out east? I used to live in Georgia but was still 100% in back-packing / tent mode so I have zero experience with the KOA's east of us. About the only luxury item I had then was a stainless poop shovel.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:58 PM   #35

You can also try the ReserveAmerica site. A lot of state parks are listed and you can reserve your spot. We usually stay in state parks on a site with electricity. The fridge and water heater work without using gas, and if it rains too hard for a fire we can always watch a movie. Water fill ups and dump stations in the park are almost always there. They even have pictures of the sites to help decide which one.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:11 PM   #36

RV "parking lots".

New England seems to have a lot of campgrounds that cater to "seasonals" in my experience, too. My guess is because the city folk want to own a second home "in the mountains" but due to the extreme costs of land and development, a $4500 seasonal site is a bargain. Being only an hour or so from Boston and a couple hours from CT, New Hampshire campgrounds certainly look good.

We've been dragging our 32ft TT now for 3 seasons to campgrounds and the occasional "resort." We are far from retired with young kids, and the full hookup sites are our preference. Coming from a traditional Scouting background, I suspect we'll return to the rustic state parks eventually. But the style of camping you do is very much based on your overall life style and current life situation.

New England has some true gems: "Bayleys" in Scarborough ME, "Glen Ellis" in Glen, NH are my favorite: because they have actual campsites that will accomadate larger units, are full hookup, and have the "resort" amenities that the kids love. BUT they are still offer "wooded" sites.

Our NH state parks all allow RVs but the sites and access roads were not built for RVs, so the rangers will say good luck as you roll past the registration window. Only two have hookups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2007 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4x4 Z71
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:34 PM   #37

We also started out tent camping with our two sons. If you wanted to find us during the weekend, we were in the woods by our favorite creek. No phones, power, bathrooms. Us, the kids, dog, tent, and the 4x4 pickup. We moved up to a small TT after access to our spot was restricted. We are now on our 2nd 5er, and due to the years catching up and DW's knees, we will enjoy our style of camping. We could do without sewer, but water and electric is a definite plus for us. It's also nice to have all your stuff to stay dry during a rain storm.
To everyone that enjoys tent camping, backpacking, and going primitive, I wish you Happy Trails. We truly enjoyed our time in the woods with our kids, and would do almost anything to return to that special time. But time and gravity is not our friend, the kids are grown and have their own families, so the two old folks and their two pups will enjoy roughing it gently.

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2006 F250 XLT Xtra Cab Long Bed 6.0 Diesel
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:51 AM   #38

Allstate RV app

I recommend the Allstays RV app. It's not cheap-10 bucks or so but I use it everyday dreaming of the next trip. You will see the RV parking lots a mile off, but also one down the road in nature.

Some lots can't be avoided - i.e. We wanna hit a beach in LA --we go Bolsa Chica-it's such a freekin sardine parking lot- but on the beach n close to everything---you kinda know that going in. We want to go to sandiego for some museum thing- we go to expensive lot on mission bay.
But when it's time for nature, hit that app will keep you right- trust me

doonkin is offline   Reply With Quote