Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-10-2015, 06:29 AM   #1

Sad day for me, but not the kids when you put her away

I dropped the trailer off at storage this past weekend with my two kids. I asked if they were sad. To my surprise they said no. I asked why. They said they had a great year camping. Went on a lot of good trips and they get to look forward to camping next year. I would say I think I have done something right.
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:49 AM   #2
Site Team

That makes it all worth while. Good job.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismoore701 View Post
I dropped the trailer off at storage this past weekend with my two kids. I asked if they were sad. To my surprise they said no. I asked why. They said they had a great year camping. Went on a lot of good trips and they get to look forward to camping next year. I would say I think I have done something right.

At first read, I thought you left your kids at the storage lot too! LOL
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:50 AM   #4

We were driving somewhere over the weekend and one of my boys was asking about auto insurance, etc. Anyway the conversation moved to RV insurance and as we were talking I said that if anything ever happened to our RV that we would most likely move to a different type.

Little background first: Our twin boys are almost 18 and will be heading off to college soon, and right now we have a bunkhouse.

Anyway, as I was saying that their mom and I would most likely get a motorhome or some variation like that he commented that it made him sad to think that he is becoming an adult and will miss all of the trips and the camping and all of those things we have done together as a family. It was pretty sad really.. But at least I know that we have done something right for our boys to lament the fact that their lives will be moving on soon.

Camping has been a very large part of our family dynamic since those boys were very young. We have so many memories over the years, we've hashed out many a problem together roasting marshmellow's over the campfire.

We've taught them cards, dominoes, horseshoes and more at many different campgrounds. Fishing, and the list goes on.

Will my wife and I still RV after our boys leave home.. You betcha... We've even lightly chatted about retirement and traveling the country in a motorhome. But we will always cherish the memories of camping with our kids forever.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1961 View Post
Will my wife and I still RV after our boys leave home.. You betcha... We've even lightly chatted about retirement and traveling the country in a motorhome. But we will always cherish the memories of camping with our kids forever.
But later on you'll find that grandkids love to camp, too.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:54 AM   #6

We've only been doing the TT thing for 2 years and our twins are 7 and I've started to forget exactly all the many places we've been already, so I started a scrapbook journal. I color Xerox digital photos in my work and we paste in fall leaves and nat park tickets etc in there also. In this day and age where city kids don't get to play free in nature(like I remember it, and where I got all my imagination from-not nose stuck in iPad)---I want them to open these journals they are 18 and remember every journey. I hope to have 20 of these journals looking like an encyclopedia Britannia.
doonkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:42 AM   #7

Kudos to you all. You know you've done something right when your child asks if THEY can take the RV out with their friends. This kicked-in once our son got his driver's license - they started using the Coleman (see signature) for trips and as a bunkhouse when friends visited. So when we bought our TT, we 'gifted' him with the tent-trailer!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:22 PM   #8

Our kids just turned 3 & 5 and they already love camping - they were a little sad when we put the camper away last weekend, but my daughter was almost immediately talking about where she wanted to go next year... guess its time to start making some reservations

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Roamer View Post
But later on you'll find that grandkids love to camp, too.
Well said. My in-laws borrowed our camper 4 years ago to give it a try. They had never camped before, whereas I grew up camping. They loved it so much my FIL sold his 66 Impala to buy a camper. They go camping 10-12 times a year and often bring at least one of my nieces or nephews with them.

My daughter really likes it when her cousins come camping with her.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:05 AM   #10

Our kids are married adults. We took them tent camping when they were young. They now come to the campground for a cookout and campfire at least one of the nights we are camping. Our daughter and SIL are talking about buying a TT to go with us when they have kids. Son and DIL have talked about tent camping. We will see. We look forward to taking grandkids camping and fishing.
pmames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:04 PM   #11

Making memories.....
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote