Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-08-2016, 06:49 PM   #1

Unhappy Sadly...winter is coming so winterization has to be done...

Well fall is here in central Wisconsin and its about time to do the nasty...winterize our coach. Its not that I can't do it, its just that this means we won't be goin campin anymore this year. To many events and family get togethers' are coming so camping has to be moved to the back burner for the year...

This will be my first time winterizing our Jayco and its complicated water valve system. Why in the world did they think they had to have 6 individual valves to get water or anti-freeze into the lines. Oh well, it is what it is so tomorrow I'll try to geter done. Naturally I'll blow out the lines first then pump the pink stuff in.

We were going to park the unit in covered storage but after thinking about it, this 14 year old camper has always sat outdoors all winter so we'll just back it next to the garage and put a heavy duty cover over it and let it sit till spring...
Mosinee, WI.
JackMroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMroz View Post
Well fall is here in central Wisconsin and its about time to do the nasty...winterize our coach. Its not that I can't do it, its just that this means we won't be goin campin anymore this year. To many events and family get togethers' are coming so camping has to be moved to the back burner for the year...

This will be my first time winterizing our Jayco and its complicated water valve system. Why in the world did they think they had to have 6 individual valves to get water or anti-freeze into the lines. Oh well, it is what it is so tomorrow I'll try to geter done. Naturally I'll blow out the lines first then pump the pink stuff in.

We were going to park the unit in covered storage but after thinking about it, this 14 year old camper has always sat outdoors all winter so we'll just back it next to the garage and put a heavy duty cover over it and let it sit till spring...
They have no other choice LOL , you need 3 valve just on the water heater !
+
1 to block the fresh tank inlet at the pump, 1 for the antifreeze hose at the pump, 3 valves for low point drain, 1 drain at the water heater, + the check valve at the city water inlet .... am I missing any ? :-)

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:12 AM   #3

We camp several times each winter so I have to winterize after almost every outing. I keep a small, portable compressor, some hose, and extension cord with me. Pull it into storage, drain everything, and blow it out. A little antifreeze in the traps and toilet... I saw that you're in Wisconsin where not winterizing could be disastrous. Here in Texas, I can watch the forecast and see if we have freezing weather coming. If not I may skip winterizing between trips. If the forecast changes, I can go and get it done if necessary. Doing it as often as I do... one gets pretty proficient so it doesn't take nearly as long as you might think.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:32 AM   #4
Site Team

We used to live on the IL/WI border (small town called Spring Grove, L) winterizing was mandatory. Now we reside near Clearwater Fl and the TT is parked next to the house. My winterizing is to open the 2 ceiling vents, set the bathroom ceiling fan thermostat to extract the warm air (circulation inside the TT). Clean the SOLAR panel. Check the batteries water levels, start my winter TT projects (1 page of enhancements and changes this winter) to be ready for April 1st trip to the GA mountains.

The nice thing about doing projects in the TT, is when I get tired, I just plop down on my bed, turn on the TV and take a nap.

Do I miss the WI/IL weather between Nov and May... not at all. I used to spend hours blowing the snow of the darn driveway, now I sweep the sand off the drive way.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:55 PM   #5

Yep, we just got back from our last outing for the season as well. All the drain lines are open and the camper is cleaned out. Now to find a few gallons of antifreeze and remove the battery. I think I have a few weekends to get this done yet. This year, I will have to help my folks too as this is the first year with their 29RKS

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:00 PM   #6

We moved down to the North Fort Myers area in '04 and back to Wisconsin in '05. The wife hated the heat, bugs, snakes, crime and the four hurricanes that hit when were were down there. Now I am just waiting to look outside and see the first snowfall, which will start my 6 months of depression that last till spring when its time to camp again...I hate winter...in case you didn't know...
Mosinee, WI.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:31 PM   #7

We are planning on going again and then I will be taking it to the shop for my 90 days warranty. I might have them to do it, but what do I need to do to winterizing?
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:33 PM   #8

Hey Mustang65, we are in HIawassee now at River Bend Campground. Been here since last week and going home this Friday. Had our first frost this morning. Windshield iced over as well as roof. Fired up furnace on eagle for first time this year. Not even thinking about winterizing yet!
Semper FI
Joe

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:47 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
Hey Mustang65, we are in HIawassee now at River Bend Campground. Been here since last week and going home this Friday. Had our first frost this morning. Windshield iced over as well as roof. Fired up furnace on eagle for first time this year. Not even thinking about winterizing yet!
Semper FI
Joe
Sorry we missed you. We were in site H4 and I saw you sitting out each morning when I walked the dogs. We left on Sunday. It was great weather that week.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:27 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
Semper FI
Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Sorry we missed you. We were in site H4 and I saw you sitting out each morning when I walked the dogs. We left on Sunday. It was great weather that week.
Darn!!!!
We will be back at Bald Mountain Rv Resort April 1st - October 1st next year... If you guys get back to Hiawassee next year let me know. We can have a little get together barbeque .. and or maybe a dinner at the Deer Lodge, Brothers....

I will be sitting by the creek behind the Eagle having a cold one... wait in April that will be a hot cup of coffee.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Seasonal Spot 2.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:41 PM   #11

Yes, it was indeed a sad day today here as well. I was hoping to get one more trip in before temps drop. But, it was 34 degrees out this morning! So, I blew out the lines and pumped some rv antifreeze in this afternoon. I think our next trailer will be a 4 season trailer for sure.
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
EAZ-Lift Weight Distribution Hitch w/Sway Control
jsims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:45 PM   #12

Smile

With unseasonably warm weather here in central Wisconsin I got some much needed ambition and decided to winterize my TT water system. With the wife's help, and using 40 psi of compressed air, I blew out the water lines in short order. I then tackled those 5 valves that Jayco said we needed for our water system. After following their directions, I'm not one to follow or read directions until its to late, I pumped two gallons of pink anti-freeze in and through all the water lines and into the P-traps of the drain system. I am now ready to back the coach next to the house, cover it up, and let it sit till spring of '17. Unfortunately I'll have to do the same to my Harley next...
Mosinee, WI.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:46 PM   #13

I'm gonna get in one more camping weekend then pump the pink for winter. I know I should use this unseasonal weather to do my chores but refuse to give in to the calendar. I do have a bit of a rep for hanging Christmas lights after Thanksgiving in the cold blustery stuff.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:49 PM   #14

It's been unseasonably warm here in Kansas as well. It has inspired me to spend a few more weekend at the river drowning some worms. I just got home from a four day weekend... I'm not ready to shut er down.
olbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
We camp several times each winter so I have to winterize after almost every outing. I keep a small, portable compressor, some hose, and extension cord with me. Pull it into storage, drain everything, and blow it out. A little antifreeze in the traps and toilet... I saw that you're in Wisconsin where not winterizing could be disastrous. Here in Texas, I can watch the forecast and see if we have freezing weather coming. If not I may skip winterizing between trips. If the forecast changes, I can go and get it done if necessary. Doing it as often as I do... one gets pretty proficient so it doesn't take nearly as long as you might think.
You're not too far from us. We're in Grapevine, so we probably get much of the same weather you get. I am a first time owner of a brand new Hummingbird 17RK we just purchased yesterday. How much work is this winterizing stuff? We'll be storing our trailer in a covered spot at a local storage facility when it is not in use, if that makes a difference.
The Annoyed Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Annoyed Man View Post
You're not too far from us. We're in Grapevine, so we probably get much of the same weather you get. I am a first time owner of a brand new Hummingbird 17RK we just purchased yesterday. How much work is this winterizing stuff? We'll be storing our trailer in a covered spot at a local storage facility when it is not in use, if that makes a difference.
If you're set up for it, it's a breeze. We camp mostly in winter, so I get to blow mine out several times a year as I said earlier. I use a small pancake type compressor and set the regulator at 40 psi, hook it on and just go about opening valves and let the water blow out... drain the water heater... pour a little antifreeze in the traps and toilet, and it's done.

I started with a smaller unit like you have about 6 years ago. It's a learning process, but the internet is a great source. Ask questions and don't worry about appearing to be a beginner. There are lots of very good folks that are very helpful and welcome beginner questions... because we all started somewhere. I look at this site, IRV2, FROG (Forest River owners group), and several other sites. Do be careful as there is misinformation out there. Read several opinions and answers from several places... and go from there.

Safe travels!

PS: There are a few things listed in the following post that might be helpful:
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...ing-41025.html