Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #1

safe toilet bowl cleaner

I just recently disinfected my freshwater tank and my bathroom started to smell real bad after that. Did some research and discovered that chlorine in the black water tank could kill the beneficial bacteria in the black water sanitizer I was using. I had drained and refilled the gray water several times and didn't have any problems with it. The black water wasn't full enough to drain. I ended up sitting on the toilet with my foot on the lever enjoying the smell till I got it filled enough to drain. Smell finally went away.

Now that I am wiser to the chlorine issue, does anyone know of a good toilet bowl cleaner without chlorine in it?

The fresh water sanitizer I assume I'll just have to be mindful of proper rinsing of all tanks after usage.
IronmanMLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:23 AM   #2

This is what I use.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...FQZ5hwodmErsZw
Old 05-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #3

I've been using Lysol total clean without bleach both home and in my unit. It has an acid in it and smells of mint. The blue one not the green one.

I do however only use it right before dumping so cannot say if it will inhibit bacteria growth like bleach. Pretty sure they are designed to kill bacteria though in most cases.

Bleach however kills all bacteria.

Also I use the CST orange which I have found to be the best so far at keeping the tank odors at bay.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilley View Post
Thanks rwilley, I'll give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
I've been using Lysol total clean without bleach both home and in my unit. It has an acid in it and smells of mint. The blue one not the green one.

I do however only use it right before dumping so cannot say if it will inhibit bacteria growth like bleach. Pretty sure they are designed to kill bacteria though in most cases.

Bleach however kills all bacteria.

Also I use the CST orange which I have found to be the best so far at keeping the tank odors at bay.
Thanks for the reply 3'senough. I live full time in my travel trailer so I have to clean the toilet more often than I dump it. I use Bio-pak from Wallex and it does a great job as well. That is until I disinfected the fresh water tank. Anyways I can't thank you...enough...for your reply. Sorry couldn't resist.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:29 AM   #5

I don't think the chlorine in the black tank was the cause of the problem.

Black tanks are holding tanks, not septic tanks. The material does not stay in long enough to be affected by beneficial bacteria.
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #6

I use the Thetford Aqua Clean, Kitchen and Bathroom. It has a nice smell and cleans the plastic.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlhdoc View Post
I use the Thetford Aqua Clean, Kitchen and Bathroom. It has a nice smell and cleans the plastic.
X2, It does have a nice smell to it!
Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #8

Maybe, maybe not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
I don't think the chlorine in the black tank was the cause of the problem.

Black tanks are holding tanks, not septic tanks. The material does not stay in long enough to be affected by beneficial bacteria.
I checked other websites and it appears there are differing opinions on this subject. Most usually concur that the waste doesn't stay in long enough for bacterial action to be useful. However that doesn't apply in my case as I live full time in my travel trailer. About once a month, sometimes twice, I will empty my black water tank. I generally empty the gray water weekly. Any problems with smell usually come from the gray water and generally it is shortly after I emptied the tank and didn't add any "Walex TOI-61776 Elemonate Grey Water Deodorizer and Cleaner". I add "Walex BIO-11530 Bio-Pak Natural Holding Tank Deodorizer and Waste Digester" to the black water tank. At the time I had added two of the Bio-Pak's to my black water with no change. I have not had this problem until I disinfected the fresh water tank. I also treated the gray water as well. The problem didn't go away until I emptied the black water tank. There was still a slight smell afterwards which according to the article I read was to be expected as it may take a couple of empties to get all the chlorine out. However at this time the bathroom is the best smelling room in the TT.