Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-30-2010, 08:29 AM   #1

Safety chain length

HI -

Everything I've read on safety chains is pretty ambiguous, out of necessity, but I've got a concern about the chains that are on my new 26BH. They seem awfully short, to me at least. When hooked up crossed underneath the hitch as is most always recommended, there's only a little slack when the TV and TT are lined up straight. Crossed, there's practically no slack at all. When I brought it home on Friday, I removed the friction bar before backing into my driveway, but every time I got any angle beyond about 10-20* between the TV and TT there was pretty significant 'protestations' coming from the hitch area, so I straightened out and backed in using a series of small turns then straightening out. Not terribly efficient. I'm pretty sure that the noise was from the chains.

So the question is, just how much 'slack' should there be in the chains when properly hooked up?

Secondly... I know I need to remove the friction bar to back up, but NOT the WD bars or unhook the chains... correct?

Thanks,

B
Merlinspop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:51 AM   #2

Ooops... couldn't edit. Meant to say when hooked up Uncrossed, there's a little slack, and that's how the techs had it. The guy doing the walk through with me changed them to crossed, which took out practically all slack.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:29 AM   #3

There should be a little more slack than what you have. I need to add 10" to mine so I will just replace them with grade 8 chains of the right length.
Seann
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:41 AM   #4

http://www.easternmarine.com/Safety-...-Cables-Hooks/

I was somewhat curious what length was standard or required. I have to twist mine once because they are a bit too long. The link I found above shows the weight your towing, hitch class and the chain required. I hope this helps a little.

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:47 PM   #5

Interesting ... I'd wander back to the dealer who set you up and have them either replace or add a few links to your chain. They should be crossed and you should be able to easily turn without having the chains tighten up.

First, though, hook up as if you were going somewhere and have someone watch the hitch set-up as you back up, turn etc.. take a look at how much tension is on those chains and see if it's your WD bars that are making noise.

You're correct with removing the Sway-bar (you'll break it if you turn too tight with it on). I'm pretty sure the noise you're hearing is more than likely the Weight Distribution bars 'groaning' from the strain of the turn. I get the same thing; the tighter the turn, the more they complain! I can occasionally hear them whimper while driving. All normal, I believe.

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:24 PM   #6

Merlinspop,

I have the 26BH also and my chains are also shorter than I would like and I cannot cross them. I have heard that in some states the cross is law... but I have not verified this. Bottom line... I believe both of us need new (longer) chains installed.

Home base... Hondo, Texas

2010 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
2009 Ford FX4
4 Point Equil-i-zer hitch
https://www.armadillotimes.com
Hondopatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:29 PM   #7

On our 226 the chains were also very tight when crossed, uncrossed and there was barely any slack. I replaced them with longer chain of the same grade.

I am curious where the crossed thing came from, does anyone know why and where that came from? What advantage is it supposed to have?

Mark
marksjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:06 PM   #8

My understanding is crossing the chains forms a "cradle" of sorts that prevents the tongue from hitting the pavement in the event of connection failure.

Home base... Hondo, Texas

2010 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
2009 Ford FX4
4 Point Equil-i-zer hitch
https://www.armadillotimes.com
Hondopatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:24 AM   #9

That's right - the intent is to try and stop the tongue from hitting the road if the ball ever lets go. I have serious doubts that would actually work but who am I to argue conventional thinking, eh?

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:35 PM   #10

I think the problem is with the design of the hitch that Ford uses in their tow package. The loops that the chains hook to are several inches forward of the (forgive me if I get terms confused) receiver. If the loops were adjacent, there probably would be ok.

I'm taking it in tomorrow for this and also because the propane tanks are installed backward. I read the manual and it clearly says that the tanks "must" be installed with the valves facing away from the trailer. Mine face it. So they'll be fixing it tomorrow. They wanted me to bring it in after next wednesday, but ive got another work trip coming up, so it's showing up tomorrow.

B
Old 07-01-2010, 07:48 PM   #11

It's not just a Ford problem, then. The receiver hitch on my Chevy Silverado has the chain receiver loops located several inches forward of the outer edge of the rear bumper. I have had difficulty on more than one occasion in hooking the Jayco-installed chains into the receiver loops. I attributed my problem with seemingly short chains to the downward protrusion of the adjustable weight distribution hitch that I use. With the hitch ball at the correct towing height the adjustable piece of the weight distribution hitch on which the ball is mounted protrudes below the rest of the hitch by 2-4 inches.

I wish my chain was two or three links longer so that I would not be concerned with possible chain/hitch binding when I turn sharply.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:16 PM   #12

A few years back, we had a prob with our chain length. We bought the (popup) tt new. We took it back to the dealer and said "ummmmmmmmmmmm, this is a no brainer!" but they sorta screwed with us. We contacted the company and they acknowledged that this should be dealt with. The company corrected the issue. Maybe if the dealer isn't going to help you, try contacting Jayco direct??? Just a thought; good luck, let us know how it goes
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:15 AM   #13

from Merlinspop:
Quote:
I read the manual and it clearly says that the tanks "must" be installed with the valves facing away from the trailer.
If that's the case, mine are backwards as well. My tank valves are facing the front of the trailer. I never heard that the tank valves "must" face forward or toward the tow vehicle. That is very interesting!!!!
I guess I will leave mine alone for now. They are still working after 3 years.

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:19 PM   #14

Yeah, the tech and I agreed that functionally, it probably makes no difference and likely a lawyer envisioned a blowtorch coming out of the valves and incinerating the trailer occupants. I made him turn them around facing forward anyway, just in case those same lawyers try to invalidate the warranty if something else goes awry. I was in and out in 20 minutes.