Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-21-2016, 12:54 PM   #1

Safety Rail for bunk with radius end?

We have a two-year old who's been sleeping in her pack-'n-play on camping trips but who we want to graduate to her lower bunk in our 28DSBH. She sleeps through the night at home but when daddy tries to sneak by the pack-'n-play to hit the TT bathroom at 3 am, she usually sits up and demands that we start the day!!!

She enjoys playing in her bunk and even laying down beside one of us, but she sleeps soundly in her crib at home so we don't want to start co-sleeping with her in the bunk. We have the cabin child safety-proofed but we want her to stay put and sleep (besides, she's an ingenious little one, we might wake up to find her hitching up the trailer or frying up some eggs...one underestimates a toddler at their own risk!). Without a barrier of some kind we're pretty sure she'll pop out of the bunk and roam around.

Our bunkhouse has the full bunks with the rounded radius end near the bathroom door (see picture), so the standard safety rail won't work. Has anyone come up with a good safety-rail or other secure method for keeping their little ones in the bunk? We don't want to turn it into a jail cell or "baby kennel" but we wouldn't mind a solution that felt crib-like to her - something she could look over but not scamper over or get her head caught in...

I know this may be a bridge too far and we may just have to wait for her to get a little older, but if there's a good solution we're overlooking we're all ears! We've searched for a purpose-made product but haven't found one, so we're thinking campers' ingenuity is our only salvation! I'm fairly handy so if you've built something that sounds like what we're looking for I might be able to replicate it. Thanks in advance...

Our White Hawk photo album
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:10 PM   #2
BCK

How about using a straight rail angled from one wall to the other and don't worry about matching it exactly to the curve of the bed?
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCK View Post
How about using a straight rail angled from one wall to the other and don't worry about matching it exactly to the curve of the bed?
Hmm, that might work if the sizing lines up, thanks!

I'm still hoping that someone else has already tackled this on a Jayco with a similar bunkhouse layout. If not, perhaps I'll become the go-to guy if I figure out a solid solution. Your suggestion might get me there, so thanks again.
Our White Hawk photo album
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:27 PM   #4

PVC conduit heated and bent to match the radius might work. 2 or 3 horizontal "Rows" anchored with eye hooks through caps on either end with a few vertical pieces for support.

It can be painted to make it look a bit better

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:29 PM   #5

How about a net of some sort?
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:40 PM   #6

Talking Bunk safety

I don't know if this photo will come through, but it's what I devised for myself on the upper bunk. This, in addition to the net someone suggested might work - provided that aforementioned ingenious 2-year old you mentioned doesn't figure out the whole thing .
Attached Thumbnails
BUNKSAFETY.jpg  
JEFF1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:27 PM   #7

What about a large pool noodle or a blanket/large towel rolled up and place under the blankets to prevent her from rolling off? Though she could probably still crawl over them....

Good luck!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:04 PM   #8

With our kid we just put a 2x4 underneath the edge of the matress to keep her from rolling out in her sleep. They grow quick and learn fast.