Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-28-2017, 02:49 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
What is "toilet to tap"? I hate to even think!
Just like it sounds. Waste water is treated, filtered, sanitized, then piped right back into the fresh water system. Just gotta hope it all works as advertised, LOL!
Old 03-28-2017, 03:20 PM   #22

I also have never camped with water hookup at the site. But I don't like travelling with water in the tanks, so I fill at the CG on the way in. The water probably is tested and potable at the time of testing. That means that bacteria and other contaminants like algae are below given thresholds, but it also probably has some level of contaminants in it. Problem is that bacteria are kind of like mice. If you have two today, you'll have a million next week.

So the water was safe when it went into my system, but any residual puddles of water that have sat undisturbed for several months over the winter (or a couple of weeks of hot summer days) may very well have developed all kinds of interesting stuff and is quite possibly no longer potable.

To be safe, I sanitise once a year in the spring. There is no guarantee that the water will remain safe all season, but it is nice to start out knowing that if anything built up over the storage season it has been obliterated.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote