Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2016, 12:58 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Marriage saved by keeping the wife in the truck and sending one of my sons to be the spotter. But someday she will have to do the dirty deed.
LOL!! My son is 2. I just got an image of him spotting me into a site. No telling where we'd be!!

In all seriousness, I look forward to him being able to help.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:59 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_OC View Post
After a couple of years of backing up the trailer my DW and I have come to the conclusion that we may not survive this. Without getting into specifics (that can go on for days) we are at a crossroads, What I am looking for is a toy truck and trailer where the front wheels turn. We both agree if we saw how it worked with a model, she would be a better spotter and me a driver. I have checked amazon. Quite a few truck and trailer toys but no move able wheels.
Thanks
Get a radio controlled toy car.

Simple solution.... use pull through sites.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:04 PM   #43

Okay, so maybe I take some of the comments in these types of threads too literally, but the derogatory comments many guys make regarding their wives drive me crazy. Maybe guys if you didn't treat her like she was an incompetent, helpless ninny (at least that is how you come across as treating her) and gave her the keys she would back the trailer in better than you ever could. Good grief, many of the posts on this subject make it sound like the guys' worth is somehow measured by his trailer backing ability. Both my husband and I (and we are not unique in this), can and do, hook/unhook, pull and BACKUP all of our trailers - 5er, gooseneck, and bumper pull. When our son was about to turn 14 and wanted to get his drivers license, a requirement was that by himself he could hook/unhook and back up every trailer. We were at the DMV on his 14th birthday.

Rant over

To answer the OP original request - check out Maisto Diecast cars.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:04 PM   #44
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
LOL!! My son is 2. I just got an image of him spotting me into a site. No telling where we'd be!!

In all seriousness, I look forward to him being able to help.
And someday he will be able to crank down the stabilizers and put in the BAL wheel chocks which helps the setup procedure!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:13 PM   #45

In all seriousness to the OP, instead of getting a 'model', if you are still thinking about that.... go to google and search for 'Truck Simulator' There are a few different versions, all about 20 bucks...You play it on your computer.

It's basically a truck driving game where you deliver loads all over the country, make in game money and upgrade to better trucks.. And you have to back into the loading docks... you can change the view at any time so you can really see what your steering inputs are doing. You can also tow multiple trailers, etc..

From a video game perspective it's pretty lame unless you are a nerd like me and pretty much play everything. But it will beat a 'model' any day for your purposes.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:15 PM   #46

Its best you do the backing.. She just tells you how far you are from the hitch you are (if hitching up)Or if you are about to hit something.

Otherwise the DW's job is to shut up. Thats what I found out from DH. I am the DW.
Micromanaging never helped us

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:19 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampFlyer View Post
Okay, so maybe I take some of the comments in these types of threads too literally, but the derogatory comments many guys make regarding their wives drive me crazy. Maybe guys if you didn't treat her like she was an incompetent, helpless ninny (at least that is how you come across as treating her) and gave her the keys she would back the trailer in better than you ever could. Good grief, many of the posts on this subject make it sound like the guys' worth is somehow measured by his trailer backing ability. Both my husband and I (and we are not unique in this), can and do, hook/unhook, pull and BACKUP all of our trailers - 5er, gooseneck, and bumper pull. When our son was about to turn 14 and wanted to get his drivers license, a requirement was that by himself he could hook/unhook and back up every trailer. We were at the DMV on his 14th birthday.

Rant over

I see your point, and honestly, it's a good one. But I have to say in my defense, I will absolutely let my wife do the backing if she's good at it. Her dad was so terrible at backing, her mom would do it exclusively (there's a story about why they put the keys on a floating key chain after a particularly nasty exchange at the boat ramp).

My point is that for us, stereotypical gender roles mean nothing. She's better at certain things, and I'm better at certain other things. That's why we make a good team (key word is TEAM). The fact is that she's no good at backing the trailer, so I do it. And she keeps me from being stupid and hitting things. So we work well TOGETHER; we're not nearly as good separately.

Granted, we often shake our heads at each others' "ineptitude" at the thing we're good at, but it's all in good fun for us. Bottom line; we trust each other to do what we're good at and leave what we're not to the other. She can do everything I can do, it just might take her longer. I can do everything she can do, it just might be a little "different" (and not to her liking).

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:36 PM   #48
BCK

Practice and patience for the driver and spotter.

I think much of the challenge with RVs is that the only learning and practice many drivers get at backing up is in the often challenging setting of an RV park with tight spaces, obstacles and spectators. I would suggest that if practice is the issue then go to a big empty parking lot at a mall and practice backing up straight until you can do that without wandering back and forth and then practice backing up from the lanes into the parking spaces from both directions. Do each one for several hours until you can do it consistently and confidently and you will notice a huge improvement in how it goes at the campsite.

My first real job at 15 was working for a trucking company jockeying trucks and trailers in and out of the loading bays and fuel dock. The first day on the job I was given a set of keys for one of the semis and sent out to the parking lot to do exactly what I described above. After some practice backing up gets to be just like riding a bike and setting up camp will be a whole lot more relaxing.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:05 PM   #49

I didn't read anything gender specific. My husband does not "help" if I am backing up the rig. Aside from object avoidance.
There is with practice, no shreiking or waving of arms.. We do have some signals and have worked out where the spotter should and should not stand.

Onlookers and micromanagers don't help.

For further amusement go to a boat ramp . You can tell who hasn't launched or retrieved a boat in a while.

Our neighbors were horrid at backing up . They admitted they were terrified. With the aid of an empty parking lot and some hours of placing the unit between lines they were all set and did a wonderful fast launch.. The launch pad is scarcely 40 feet long and right on a two lane state highway.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 09-07-2016, 02:27 PM   #50

Quote:

Rant over

Thank you very much!
Old 09-07-2016, 02:29 PM   #51

My wife is AWESOME at helping me back up our new TT. Although I probably could do it without her, I wouldn't want to. Zero complaints here, but our marriage really is a partnership. We will both be the first to admit that I'm better at some things, she's better at others. I figure that's how it should be.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:33 PM   #52
Site Team

And keep in mind a short trailer can be much harder to back up then a longer one. They react much faster to your turning of the wheel. Try and back up a dump cart behind an ATV in a straight line. Not easy.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:04 PM   #53

Quote:

Rant over

I love my DW dearly however, we all have our strengths and weaknesses and one of her self admitted weaknesses is her driving ability - more specifically, her backing ability.

In the past 3 years alone she has backed into a stone retaining wall, Backed off the edge of our driveway (tow truck recovery required) side swiped the passenger SIDE (most of it) of her car backing out of our garage, backed over our mailbox. BUT the topper of all events....

Wait for it.....

She backed through the closed garage door!!!

IF I were to give her the keys to my truck especially while towing our camper I would need to have my head examined.

Now, in her defense, she is an awesome wife and the most caring mother to our 4 children and we are extremely lucky to have her in our lives.

Like I said, we all just need to know our strengths, weaknesses and limitations.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:19 PM   #54
Site Team

Oh if that were so! My wife is very competent driver. She knows how to hook up and un hook properly. She can do anything except back up anything. Not even a lawn tractor with a wagon attached.

That's ok with me.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:54 PM   #55

I don't see the allusion to ineptitude. Both my husband and I drove ambulances for thirty years and backing those up required practice too.

But we learned that outside "help" no matter if its got skirts pants or an out of control trauma doc in scrubs is not usually help.

He is a guy. Leave him alone
I am a gal. Leave me alone

We both back up the thing down our long driveway.

Confidence comes from practice.It may be that the Original Posters just need to find a big space, send the other one out for beer and practice alone.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 09-07-2016, 05:06 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
And keep in mind a short trailer can be much harder to back up then a longer one. They react much faster to your turning of the wheel. Try and back up a dump cart behind an ATV in a straight line. Not easy.
Right on. I can back up the canoe trailer. Its got an eight foot bed. But it requires a very subtle touch on the wheel to correct its course. I caught on to that faster than hubby.. For years the thing was over the wall, across the driveway and there was lots of cursing. He kind of had the sledgehammer approach

Yet I think that experience was useful. Now he can back out TT smoothly in between trees and perpendicular back in sites, often in one swoop. He can be a little less subtle with the longer TT.

I have to work on my too much sublety with our TT though I have excellent control over that canoe trailer.

Dont even ask about the gymnastics we went through with our trailer for te 14 foot sailboat . We had a pickup. The Trailer had a long tongue and no weight and no delineators. We amused ( or not) many a five o clock arrival at the boat ramp. The trailer was sometimes jacknifed and he didnt know it. It was easier to pick up the trailer and move it through the water as clearly shrill feminine yelling didn't do a bit of good.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 09-07-2016, 05:18 PM   #57

Tip I learned while in the Army - place your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel. Move your hand (and steering wheel) the direction you want the back end of the trailer to go. Works Everytime. I have to back over 550 ft when putting my trailer in storage with both a left 45 degree and a right 45 degree turn. Let that precious lady stand behind and warn you if you are about to hit anything. After parking and setting up take out to supper - both deserve it. Have a great time and enjoy it all.
Richard49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:31 PM   #58

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoat View Post
As lame as it might sound, whoever is doing the backing up could take a quick lesson from a truck driving school.
Where can you do that? I actually looked but the class is for weeks and big bucks? and I don't want to drive a semi for a living, I just want to park in a campground! Would they take me for just one class? backing up?

Lynn
Old 09-07-2016, 06:08 PM   #59

I use the don't say a word unless I am going to hit something method...

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:11 PM   #60

Boy does this thread bring back some backup memories when we first picked up our trailer.

Luckily when I purchased my new F150, I had the Pro Trailer Backup Assist installed. With the backup assist even my kids can hop in the pickup and backup the trailer no issues. You literally just turn the knob on the console and work the peddles and the computer turns the wheel. Anyone can pretty much thread the trailer in any spot. Love it.
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
EAZ-Lift Weight Distribution Hitch w/Sway Control
jsims is offline   Reply With Quote