Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-26-2016, 07:59 AM   #1

Sealing from rodents/other wildlife - 2015 264 BHW

Hi everyone,

Great to be back on the forum because that means - CAMPING season is finally here for me! I know, I'm late getting out for the first time this year but having a baby in march will delay things a bit!

Anyhow, I'm doing my best to fill in any holes in the camper with spray foam to keep the wildlife out. I have found the one hole under the sink by the water pump and I'll be looking for more over the weekend. i thought I'd check here to see if anyone knows of any others or if anyone has any tips they've come up with over the years.

I haven't had any real trouble with anything - found some mouse droppings in the drawers by the sink when we opened it up a few weeks ago but that was all thankfully. I've read some real nasty stories.

Thanks everyone!
-J
jdrumsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:38 AM   #2

I believe where and how it's stored is what determines if varmints are attracted. We park ours next to our attached garage and have been parking trailers there for the last 24 years. My dad lives next door and parks his trailer in front of mine. We have never had mice.

Mind you there is a creek behind our yard with lots of tall grass and shrubs that is full of mice. Our shed is on the back part of our property and every year we have to clean mice nests from lawn and snow equipment. We've also had mice in our garage and the wall that adjoins the garage and house. Again, never in the trailers.

The pad is gravel and we don't let anything grow on it, in other words no weeds. And we don't keep any food in the trailers that not in sealed containers.

Where I've heard of people getting mice is when they park in barns, or near weeds and tall grass. When all is said and done what you are doing is probably the best thing you can do.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:34 AM   #3

Thanks Doc.

Yeah, mine is just on my driveway at home - no weeds, no anything around it really, and on concrete. I think we just had a visitor for a little while. We emptied out water & food before winter so there wasn't much there for the rascal.
jdrumsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 04:29 PM   #4
Site Team

If you have the Glacier Package or what ever they call it now (enclosed underbelly), foam along where the underbelly material goes into the frame. If you have a spare tire that lowers by a cable under the TT, you will find a large hole for the cable to go through. I took a metal 4x4 blank electric box cover and cut a small slot to the center and drilled a small hole for the cable in it, slid it over the cable, used 4 small self tapping screws to mount it, and foamed the slot where the cable does not go through. So far so good!!In the front cross-over frame there was a 1/2" hole for something but was not used. Check in the front under the cap, there was a gap there also. There was one section where the seams overlapped. but did not seal properly, took care of that also. If you have the pull-out shore cable make sure you close the cover when stored and the little slide, or the mice will thank you.

I also purchased a new product (at Home Depot) that Great Stuff came out with called PestBlock...

Good Luck!!!!

Don
Attached Thumbnails
FOAM SPRAY - Great Stup with Pestblock.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 05:56 PM   #5

I worked for a pest and wildlife damage control company for a few months and the owner would laugh at the homeowners that used foam to fill cracks where mice could get in....if they can chew thru wood, they can chew they foam that is even softer. I have no clue how effective Pestblock is but we used copper mesh and mortar caulking to seal holes. Copper doesn't corrode like steel wool does and the mice don't care for the texture in the mortar caulking.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:33 PM   #6

I have a fair number of wires that go to my Leveling Jacks. I had this option installed at the factory - but it looks like they must take the unit off the line after it's finished and send it to a separate section at Jayco to add the leveling unit. As a result, the wiring looks like add on.

My dealer said to hang small pet flea collars around the wiring bundles - that it deters rodents. I was going to try that until I realized what flea collars cost and how many I needed and how often I would have to replace them as they expired.

Anyone had any experience with using flea collars?
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
Anyone had any experience with using flea collars?
I use them in the water heater and furnace outside bay areas to keep wasps out. They have worked for me but I don't use them anywhere else.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:10 AM   #8

Skip,

I've used moth balls in those areas - make a little bowl out of tinfoil to hold them. They are a lot cheaper than flea collars but just don't easily attach to outside wiring :-(
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:29 AM   #9

I have used a combination of steel wool and expanding spray foam with success. Seems that the critters do not like trying to chew through the sharp pieces of steel wool.
Road Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:44 AM   #10

No critters so far. I park on area that has about 3 inches of sand under trailer. This has provided our and other cats an area that has been used kinda like a litter box. Sounds kinda gross, but think effective. Also used some of the Great Stuff rodent, etc on two places where found factory didn't do good seal (rear water lines and by fresh water tank drain.
If I see and chewing with use the mesh copper as noted earlier, sounds like a real winner to me....

Larry J
2015 SLX 264BHw
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:00 PM   #11

I had a chipmunk get in through the hole under the couch where the fresh water hose goes through the floor. Sealed it with spray foam. 264bhw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:32 PM   #12

We have not had any issues. During the summer it sits on a concrete driveway, plugged in. Winter it's in a barn, and the farmer has lots of cats.

I have an open underbelly. There are lots and lots of j oles to be found. I used copper mesh and marine caulk. Filled every hole I could reach from the top and bottom.

As for the hose coming from the fw tank. Ours has two pieces of 1/4" ply wood that but up to each the with holes cut out for the various hoses. Then it's all caulked. This was due to water getting g in while traveling.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote