Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-20-2015, 03:25 PM   #1

second entry doors and outdoor kitchens

The DW and I are planning to upgrade to a larger TT in the fall, possibly early next spring. We went to the RV show in Kansas City with our kids where she really got on board with the upgrade idea after looking at a few Wildwood BHS models.

While our local Jayco dealer didn't bring anything larger than a 264 Jay Flight to the show, I am looking at the Jay Flights again but with a single slide and something like a 287 BHSW or 28BHBE and larger but under a 32 footer.

For those of you that opted for an outdoor kitchen model, how often do you use it? I typically grill on our Weber but the outdoor kitchen is an attractive option.

Also is a second entry door that big of a convenience or do you still find yourself using the main door all the time? The DW didn't like the idea that someone could walk in on you in the loo from the outside if you forgot to lock the door
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:41 PM   #2

I can't speak to the outdoor kitchen except to say that for us, I don't see any value in it, and I would rather have the space for storage. I already have (and had at time of purchase) all the items I would need to create my own outdoor kitchen, and all that stuff weighs a lot less and is easier to maintain if I choose to use it.

As for the second entry, I find myself using it more than I thought I would. Sitting out by the fire enjoying some adult beverages, when the call of nature hits, it's nice to just pop in that door. Also, it's nice when I'm setting up or breaking down because many of the functions I'm responsible for (as opposed to those my wife handles) involve going in and out of the bathroom, so it's nice to be out of her way. I'm also quite sure that when my son grows up and is getting into stuff, it will be nice to have him go straight into the bathroom instead of trampsing through the entire camper and back. I know when I was a boy I spent most of my life very dirty, and my mom was not a fan of me "tracking dirt and crap everywhere I went".

One thing I don't like about the second entry is that the doorway is very narrow. I'm quite "hefty" and sometimes I have difficulty going in and out of that door; and forget it if I'm carrying anything that takes two hands.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:18 PM   #3

We have a 32BHDS and we love the second door and outside kitchen! As I have said before, the two main reasond to go into the TT is to use the head and get into the fridge. With the second door, it saves through traffic to the head and bathtub (we call it a mud room). The outside fridge is also nice to keep all your favorite beverages cold whithout the fear of the wife removing them from the inside reefer to "make room for food".

With that being said, I would get the outside kitchen and second door all over again.
Nick Haas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:47 PM   #4

We are about to buy a 29QBS that comes standard with an outdoor kitchen. That kitchen consists of a sink, 2 cooktops and a refrigerator. I don't anticipate using the outdoor fridge too often and may actually remove it and put it in my office...

We tend to cook a lot when we camp. Using the cooktop inside leaves a lot of humidity and odors. Making spaghetti and boiling noodles and cooking with garlic in an enclosed area can be annoying. Making tacos and smelling them all night isn't fun. Cooking bacon inside splatters grease everywhere.

I intend to make decent use of the outdoor kitchen. I probably wouldn't pay EXTRA for one, but I like that it comes with it already.

Second entry doors are typically quite small. Its nice that you can have the little ones go directly into the bathroom without tracking mud or water all over the floor. Also you can open the door after you shower and help air out the humidity. It also makes it much easier to clean and flush the black tanks without having to drag a hose through your camper.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:10 PM   #5

I would only take the second entry door if it leads directly to the head. Otherwise it is a waste of usable space imo. As for the outside kitchen.... Do you really want your BBQ grill that close to you camper..... i.e. ribs on the grill flaming up, or the like. I find it easier to just bring a cooler or a dorm style fridge if staying for a longer term. Like was said earlier your giving up quite a bit of space with the outside kitchen.

just my .02
Old 01-20-2015, 06:42 PM   #6

We have a 28BHBE that has the door for the bathroom, we never use it and as a matter of fact the door is always locked, can you imagine the look on your wife's when she is doing her business and the kids opens the door, that is the reason the door is locked, now we don't have the outdoor kitchen in ours but 2 of my neighbors at the campground have them and I do use their sink to wash my hands on a regular basis never mind seeing what kid of beverage they have for the weekend
1985 21' Hi-Lo (Sold)
93 Yamaha G9A

Dirtfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:52 PM   #7

Our Tent-Trailer had an outside Coleman cooktop and we loved it - it was the "man kitchen". Many moons later, when looking at TTs, we opted for the White Hawk 25bhs - we wanted the bunks and outdoor kitchen and are pleased with both of our choices. Regarding the outdoor kitchen, it is my husband's ~ and he uses all its features (BBQ, cooktop, fridge, microwave) more than I use the inside kitchen! Go for it!!
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:53 PM   #8

I have a 32bhds with the second door and outdoor kitchen. We use both all the time. There is tons of storage in the outdoor kitchen, and I am not sure why people conplain about using the barbecue or stovetop that close to the trailer. The same safety concerns are in the kitchen with the stovetop and you can move your barbecue away if that worries you. So to answer your question, I have said it before, you won't regret it if you do get these, but you might if you don't.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:19 PM   #9

When I was a child our immediate and extended family owned four campers on permanent lots all next to each other it was awesome!!!!! our camper was the only one with a second door for the bathroom area. It kept the camper a lot cleaner and it was a heck of a lot more convienent. Wish my 26bh had the extra door! I have no need for an outdoor kitchen because if its not raining I cook exclusively on charcoal or wood for every meal.
jkochmit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:35 PM   #10

Our previous TT had an outdoor kitchen but only one exterior door. At the time we bought it I was indifferent about the outdoor kitchen but after having it I wouldn't want one without it. It provided great storage and the extra fridge was nice although we only used it on 4+ day trips. The outside sink was nice to keep people from going inside just to wash hands.

We ordered a 32 IBTS which has the outdoor kitchen and 2nd door this time. I like the idea of the bathroom door to keep dirt out. We'll see how it works out in practice once it gets here in a week or two.
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:39 PM   #11

So much depends on how you use your TT. For us we would have liked a second door directly to the bathroom, but not having it gave us many more "must haves" on our list.

The outdoor kitchen was of no value to us, in fact we essentially ruled out trailers with this option. We had 3 primary reasons it didn't work for us...

1) We wanted Quad Bunks arranged two per side. The outdoor generally eliminated the lower bunk on the awning side - no bueno for this family.
2) Often we camp with 3 other families and set up a community kitchen to share meal responsibilities. We have been doing this since before anyone had a TT and one of the great pleasures of camping together.
3) We rarely camp with full hookups so an electric only fridge is virtually useless.

Think about how you camp and where you camp to determine if you will get the value from either option.

Oh, another reason we didn't want an outdoor kitchen us we camp in bear county often. Didn't want the smell of cooking so close to where my kids sleep. The 30 yards or so to the camp kitchen we setup provided a nice safety margin.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkochmit1 View Post
I have no need for an outdoor kitchen because if its not raining I cook exclusively on charcoal or wood for every meal.
Like this Guy above....

If you are cooking on weber now, I'm guessing you may not like a gas grill. I used one for years, a very expensive one, and it cooked well....but now I use a Kamado at home with Charcoal lump and a Weber Jumbo Joe with lump at camp. Its not as fast, I will grant you that, and you have ashes and fuel to deal with, but results are astounding as you know.

I usually have a LOT of stuff for cooking myself and plenty for everyone to drink, so we have two coolers just for that stuff. Your needs may vary.
Dirkdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:08 AM   #13

IMO the outdoor kitchen is up to the individual. As for the 2nd door, about the only time we use it is when we leave. DW brings in the living room slide first, then the bedroom slide and exits that door. One of the recliners has to be moved in front of the front door in order to close the slide, so it's not available to exit from.

And maybe most importantly, it's another exit in case of fire. Much quicker, safer and easier than an exit window.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:20 PM   #14

We just got a trailer with an outdoor kitchen. I do most of my cooking outside. Previously I used a coleman stove and a two table setup for most of my cooking, but it was necessary to find a level spot, with some shade and Hubby had to shim up the legs to make sure the stove was level. The outdoor kitchen should save a lot of set up time and effort and I love the idea of a handy "drink" fridge. ( I will probably keep condiments in there too since we eat outside unless its raining)
utbgcamper mom is offline   Reply With Quote