Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-13-2015, 08:47 AM   #1

Securing your trailer while parked at home.

Would be interested in how all of you secure your travel trailer while parked at home. This weekend someone stole our old 1998 popup camper, but we think they originally came in to take our Jayco. One wheel chock from the Jayco was removed from the tire and fortunately with the stabilizers down they opted for the easier to take popup. Both had hitch locks, but that didn't give them a problem with the popup. Anyway, since we have taken the fuse out of the electric jack, but am interested in any other ideas. We had thunderstorms all night so did not hear a thing.
CampingNesslers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:24 AM   #2

That sucks, I hate thieves. I'm sorry you have to deal with this.

As we all know, any security measures are really is just going to keep honest people honest. I implore two measures. First I use a pretty heavy duty coupler lock. Second I store mine at a fenced storage yard.

Others have discussed using heavy cable or chain through the wheels. But my thought is if they can cut my couple lock a chain/cable is just another 20 seconds for them to cut.

In out storage lot, some folks do nothing, even leave the batteries. Probably my best protection is mine would be a little harder to steal than some of the others.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:51 AM   #3

Motion sensor flood lights.

While we don't have theft problems where I live, we do have an open yard, no fence and it adjoins an emergency access road which people walk on day and night. You cannot get 2 feet onto my grass without motion sensor flood lights lighting up the entire yard. Thieves don't like that as anyone looking out a window can see what they are doing.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:43 AM   #4

Popup are harder to secure. The tongues are light and you can drive off without the unit in the ball. You just use the chains to secure it good enough to the TV and go.

My utility trailer, I use an old ball that I cut the shank off up in the hitch assembly then I have a lock on the hitch, then just to make it harder.

On our HTT, it use to sit on the city street in front of our old house, and I was concerned about it growing feet and wondering off. For that trailer, I have a very good tongue lock that secures the entire hitch area from the underside, the key slot is integrated and under the unit, so if you want to drill it out you have to be on your back with a drill over your face to do it, pig PIA. It is a twin axle trail, so I wheel chocks that I lock with a traditional paddle lock. But to make it more difficult I place the lock on the inside of the HTT, this way I have to reach in to unlock it. This virtually makes it impossible to cut the locks.

There is a product out there call Wheel Boots, the better ones cost between $200 - $500. But they clamp onto the wheel, cover the lug nuts. The paddle lock mechanism is shrouded in heavy steel so it cannot be cut. There are cheaper ones out there, but I think they are not as noticeable and if you try to drive off with them you will tear up your wheel wells.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:00 AM   #5

And then there is this ... Crooks Steal Entire Cabin!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:31 AM   #6

Everyone - thanks for the info and some great ideas, we are still in the mad stage. Going to get quotes on security systems for the house and shop and install some cameras and motion lights. Had they taken the Jayco and my wife knew who did it - we would have a real fight going on!!!!
Old 04-13-2015, 11:38 AM   #7

I have a couple latch lock. But I also have a Coupler Lock, which blocks the coupler and prevents anyone from putting a ball in it, even if they should defeat the latch lock. A little over $21 from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-37...h+coupler+lock

Looks like this

I've never had anyone bother my trailers in storage, but feel a little safer with the coupler lock AND the latch lock.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:13 PM   #8

Set the trailer axles on blocks and remove the wheels on one side.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:55 PM   #9

Good insurance!!!
Treatcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:04 PM   #10

Someone needs to invent an alarm system that whales like a siren when the wheels turn on the unit! Keep all the electronics inside the camper!!!

...wheels are a turnin'
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Set the trailer axles on blocks and remove the wheels on one side.

lol that'll stop them.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:30 PM   #12

Besides the TT being stolen, you have to worry about the other stuff too. See the thread I started a while back.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...eft-25030.html
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:54 PM   #13

I am working on the road full time with a travel trailer and I have invested a great deal of energy into this very subject. This is a list of SOME of the measures one can take. Some offer a greater measure of security and/or deterrence than others, of course.

- Wheel chocks (two--one on both sides)
- Cable with lock between tires.
- Locking lug nuts so the above security measures are not easily thwarted.
- Solar powered outdoor light w/motion sensor
- The RIGHT coupler lock (the ones listed on this thread so far were shown on a YouTube video to be easily broken with a crowbar in a matter of seconds--literally. The kind with a steel chamber over the tongue is about the only kind that really works).
- Locks on your stabilizers (not easily available in the U.S. but can be bought overseas)
- Home security type system...many of relatively inexpensive these days and will operate off of the cell phone tower and notify authorities and your smartphone if your RV is removed)
- GPS tracker (i.e. Spot)
- Large vinyl letters and/or numbers on the roof making it easy for law enforcement to spot from the sky
- Adding something to the exterior of your camper/trailer/RV that makes it obviously and easily distinguishable from all other units
- Padlock on coupler
- Visual deterrence (i.e. NRA sticker on door window or large dog food bowl outside of RV, etc.
- Loud dog
- Removing the chains from the hitch...there's also a video on YouTube that shows how easy it is to just pull up and use them to remove a trailer
- Removing the fuse from the electronic trailer lift
- Replacing locks on all exterior doors
- How you park it
- Where you park it (including indoors)
- X-chock wheel stabilizers
- Removing a wheel or two
- And lastly, have good insurance and keep it paid up.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Klassy View Post
The RIGHT coupler lock (the ones listed on this thread so far were shown on a YouTube video to be easily broken with a crowbar in a matter of seconds--literally. The kind with a steel chamber over the tongue is about the only kind that really works).
Todd provides some great ideas. For all who post suggestions, I'm sure others would also appreciate hyperlinks and/or pictures to these examples ... the RIGHT coupler lock has me curious and would love to see what that is.

Here is a link to exterior locks - how to pick the right ones.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:37 PM   #15
Site Team

Extended my home security system out to my TT

Todd has some GREAT ideas listed.

We have SimpliSafe for my home alarm company because I was able to purchase my own equipment from them. The one feature that I like most is that you have TOTAL CONTROL over all your sensors. We have a privacy fence that circles my property and all the gates (4) have DOOR/WINDOW sensors on them. When a gate is opened I have them set up as an ALERT sensors, so it only sends me a text message and tells me which gate was opened. You have to look real hard to see the sensors. I can then look at my tablet/smart phone and bring up any of the 16 cameras (NightOwl) to check what is going on. The NightOwl system also has motion alert and the capability of texting you if there is any movement detected.

I park the TT next to the house and I have 2 motion sensors inside that are set to ALERT and they also send me a text message (I do not have these sensors set in ALARM mode, which would call the ALARM company) if there is any movement inside the TT.

If we are going away for any length of time, I can reprogram them from ALERT to ALARM mode from my smart phone, PC, or Tablet.

The base station has a cell site module in it and it can also be connected to a Land Line, if any one still has them (VOIP line is also acceptable).

We have two of their power horns (LOUD) one inside and one outside. I do not have the outside power horns programmed into the system... Gee, I wonder why.

If you have cell service where you have your TT, there is no reason that you could not get a basic system for your TT. You could come up with some way of making use of the Window/Door (magnetic) sensor (like I have on my gates) so that it was triggered if the TT was moved, or mount a MOTION sensor facing down under the TT so if the TT is moved it will activate the alarm or text you.

You will need to purchase your equipment from them (Reasonable pricing) and the monthly service with smart phone/texting for $24. NO CONTRACTS!!! Well worth the investment and monthly fee.

Just my thoughts,

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:53 PM   #16

Here is the video of the guy breaking into almost every single trailer hitch lock on the market:

https://youtu.be/-G_zz80h_Tc

And here are the two that would seem to be a way to thwart this:

Trailer Gator | Trailer Security | Trailer Hitch Lock | Coupler Protection Lock [Be warned...their customer service is horrible]
The Industry Leader in Trailer Security [And this one does not appear to be available any more]

I can't find the video of how easy it is to steal a trailer using the chains on the tongue wrapped around the hitch on a truck.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:56 PM   #17

I purchased the SimpliSafe system too. I only wish it had a module where you could use your iPhone to pull up a live camera inside the trailer. There are several new companies on the market that do what the SimpliSafe does without the monitoring service and with the ability to receive texts every time a motion sensor is activated and/or to just look in using a camera hooked up to Wi-Fi or cellular telephone signal.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:12 PM   #18

Thanks everyone for all the great information. We now have to decide what we are going to do.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:03 PM   #19

Not much of a problem with TT's and such being stolen here in Alaska. Sometimes pop-ups, but mostly flatbed utility type/tilt bed snow machine/ATV trailers that get stolen.
Even though Alaska is a big state, communities are small and people notice. The biggest problem we seem to run into is trailer break ins and sometimes in the winter months homeless will sneak in and live in it. They don't see to mind that batteries are disconnected and there is no heat.

It's really a problem when they bang on the house door in the morning and hand you a grocery list and tell you the black tank is full.....
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:10 PM   #20

Well we have decided on the SImpliSafe product for our home and shop will rig a sensor up on the camper too. Will place the order this weekend.