Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-26-2014, 02:12 PM   #1

Service work question?

We're taking our 22' Jayflight in for a few warranty items before our 2yr warranty is up. The dealer asked me about some other items, so I had a few questions for JOF members:

They asked me if I've had the following items serviced:

wheel bearing packing (I can do that, no big deal, trailer isn't even two years old with less than 1200mls on it)
refrigerator preventative maintenance
furnace " " "
water heater " " "

A few other items listed that doesn't apply to our TT (slide out lube, leveler lube, etc). I'm a do it yourself kinda of guy but have no clue how to service the fridge or furnace, heck I can't even get to the furnace under the couch. I do keep the exterior access areas clean on the fridge and water heater, check for loose electrical connections or gas leaks, visiual inspection on spark igniter and burner inspection. I do all the winterizing/de-winterizing myself.

This is the first time this TT has ever been back to dealer so I don't want to miss the chance of any needed manintenance that I can't do, so is the fridge, furnace, water heater preventative maintenance needed and what does it entail?

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2014, 03:44 PM   #2

refrigerator preventative maintenance- basically checking for propane leaks, checking all the electrical connections, checking the cooling unit for leaks (yellow stains), cleaning the burner tube , cleaning the burner itself, adjusting the ignition/flame sensor, and checking for proper operation on electric, gas, and 12V (if equipped). All these items you can do yourself

furnace preventative maintenance- checking for propane leaks, checking all electrical connections, cleaning the burner tube, cleaning the burner itself, adjusting the ignition/flame sensor, (some check airflow from the registers), vacuum duct work, and checking for proper operation. All these items you can do yourself

water heater preventative maintenance- checking for propane leaks, checking all electrical connections, cleaning the burner tube, cleaning the burner itself, adjusting the ignition/flame sensor, check for water leaks and valve operation, depending on WH, adjusting flame, rinsing out the water heater tank, and checking for proper operation on electric and gas. All these items you can do yourself

This is our list when a customer asks us to check it out. Your dealer may be different. Please remember, you will be paying an hourly fee to get these items checked.

John
John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:41 PM   #3

For their Preventative Main. Pkg, they want $499 + parts, shop supplies, & taxes...... John, you just convinced me to add trailer tech to my skills master list! Thanks for your input!
Old 02-28-2014, 02:56 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkc22fb View Post
For their Preventative Main. Pkg, they want $499 + parts, shop supplies, & taxes...... John, you just convinced me to add trailer tech to my skills master list! Thanks for your input!
Yes, I can do a lot of preventative maint. for $499.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:01 PM   #5

Heh.. Just talked to the Service Manager and showed him this... We are really missing out! Glad to help you keep you trailer up, and save you a bit of green in the process!
John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:07 PM   #6

I can walk you though the inspections over the internet for half price
Step 1, grab a cold soda from the fridge and then wash your hands with hot water and soap.
Step 2, we are done.

Where do I send the bill?

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:43 PM   #7

It's crazy isn't it???!!! And they got the balls to advertise this package online! I guess they are mislead that camper, TT, or RV owners have unlimited income.

Here's a tidbit if info I could use some input on:
I asked for a roof inspection (TTs still within the 2yr warranty), dealer told me inspection is free but any repairs are extra! Is this normal? I keep the roof maintained, nothing has never fallen on it to cut the surface. We store it inside our barn year round. The only concern I would have is if Jayco didn't seal all areas well which would require more sealant. My goodness am I going to have to argue with them on extra sealant application charges?
Old 02-28-2014, 06:00 PM   #8

Quote:
My goodness am I going to have to argue with them on extra sealant application charges?
I believe that roof maintenance, cleaning, caulking, etc is not covered in Jaycos 2 year warranty as each individual owner is responsible for upkeep to prevent leaks. Lots of discussion on the Forum about this.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:00 PM   #9

Free Inspection & pay for repairs = Very normal.

Caulking and seals are only warrantied for 90 days after purchase I believe…then its a maintenance item and no longer covered under warranty.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:16 PM   #10

Thanks JOF members, now I know what to expect. I sincerely appreciate all of your input!
Happy camping to all.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:14 AM   #11

So, let me understand this, the pm is not covered under the year warranty? I would not expect it to be, but want to be sure.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:39 AM   #12

Sounds like an up sell program as well.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:07 PM   #13

That's correct Krackeer, PM isn't part of warranty coverage. Looking at the entire PM pkg, a lot of items don't even apply to my TT. So I asked them to price just fridge and furnace service and they wouldn't. Therefore they just lost potential business. This dealer doesn't sound very reasonable to me and NOW I'm concerned about them screwing me on the roof inspection!
Old 03-01-2014, 06:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkc22fb View Post
That's correct Krackeer, PM isn't part of warranty coverage. Looking at the entire PM pkg, a lot of items don't even apply to my TT. So I asked them to price just fridge and furnace service and they wouldn't. Therefore they just lost potential business. This dealer doesn't sound very reasonable to me and NOW I'm concerned about them screwing me on the roof inspection!
If your concerned about getting screwed, inspect the roof yourself first, take pictures, then have them do the inspection. That should confirm your concerns or ease them about the dealer. I'm in the service industry myself...(HVAC) and I EXPECT my customers to check on my work....it's called building trust. If you don't check the work before and after, you'll never know if you were screwed and there will always be that question in the back of your mind. Good luck.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:07 AM   #15

I have had trailers for many years, the last one I had for 15. I have never had a problem with my fridge or furnace. I blow out the components that I can get at with compressed air and turn them on in the spring to make sure they work. That is about all they can do as well unless they are removing the entire component out of the camper which they could not do for that price. I do have them inspect the roof on my camper at least twice a year, they have not found any issues as of yet but I have only had my new one for 3 years.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:09 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabat View Post
I have had trailers for many years, the last one I had for 15. I have never had a problem with my fridge or furnace. I blow out the components that I can get at with compressed air and turn them on in the spring to make sure they work. That is about all they can do as well unless they are removing the entire component out of the camper which they could not do for that price. I do have them inspect the roof on my camper at least twice a year, they have not found any issues as of yet but I have only had my new one for 3 years.
My dealer does a free roof inspection when I have them winterize it. Cost is $85, and I get a letter from them stating "no issues found with roof".
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote