Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-01-2016, 12:04 PM   #1

Sewage tank

I have a Jayco Eagle. When the toilet is flushed the tp does not flush and dirty water circulates back in to the bowl.
Rick Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rowe View Post
I have a Jayco Eagle. When the toilet is flushed the tp does not flush and dirty water circulates back in to the bowl.
You've got some kind of serious issue!

Fresh, clean water is supposed to come it at the top. When you move the flush handle to the second detent, a door opens at the bottom to dump the contents of the bowl into the black tank.

Either the toilet is malfunctioning, you are not moving the handle enough or your black tank is full.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:20 PM   #3

Hmm, none of that makes much sense to me.

The valve in the bottom of the toilet is just a hole that goes straight down into your black tank. If anything is left in the bowl after you push the floor lever fully to the floor, there isn't enough water in the bowl to 'flush' it. Gravity does the rest. Not sure how much TP we're talking about, but that's just weird...

When you push the floor lever partially down, you are saying that the currently, empty bowl (minus the TP you mentioned above) is being refilled with 'Dirty' water? Your water pump is pumping 'dirty water'??? Just double checking I understand what you are saying. Never heard of this even being possible. Even if your black tank was completely full, you'd still get clean water in at the top. Maybe you have a massive clog???

Oh, and welcome to the forums..
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:26 PM   #4

If this is an older unit, and you are sure your black tank is empty, you might have one gawdawful poo pyramid built up?

ETA: and welcome to JOF. We're here to help, but don't be a stranger once you get this issue worked out!
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
you might have one gawdawful poo pyramid built up?
That sentence went really well with the cheese enchiladas I'm currently eating LOL
Old 09-01-2016, 12:42 PM   #6

???????

Not enough water pressure can keep the tp from going down. Are you pressing the lever fully? As far as the dirty water, are you sure the water you're tapped into (city or tank) is clean? Just doesn't make sense.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:54 PM   #7

Tmi...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
That sentence went really well with the cheese enchiladas I'm currently eating LOL
Well I usually throw up a little in my mouth anytime I think of this dreaded beast.

Having owned a used trailer for a year now, I am surprised that my black tank water still dumps brown every time (I have a clear pipe section). We don't allow #2 in the trailer, so I know that it is someone else's brown, and that just grosses me out.

I've been using tank chemicals to break it down, and I bought a Valterra flush wand, and plan to give the tank a good blast before our next outing so I can (hopefully) dump the other family's waste for good.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:59 PM   #8

Done eating so I can return to this one.

Not to hijack the thread, but we don't do #2 in ours either unless it's an emergency kind of thing. I still use our tank flush at every opportunity. My goal is to get all the TP out of there so it doesn't cake up and turn into a giant paper mache log from hell, so glad ours came with that installed. If I could just get the ladies to stop using so much TP, wouldn't be so bad at all. I have plans to change that, but have to take baby steps with them..
Old 09-01-2016, 01:09 PM   #9

Install a bidet!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rowe View Post
Sounds like you are not putting enough water in the bowl prior to flush. We usually put in 6-8" prior to fully depressing the flush pedal to allow gravity to do it's thing.

As far as brown circulating water. Either you really need to sanitize your fresh water tank. You are connected to the Flint Michigan water system. Your black tank needs dumping real bad. You have a serious plumbing cross connect you need to get resolved.

Once upon a time there was such a thing as a recirculating toilet but I've never seen one in an RV. They were only used on boats as far as I know. Even with those, the water was looked blue and not brown,.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 05:24 AM   #11

I can think of no good reason to arbitrarily prohibit poo in the black tank. Just keep the tank wet and flushed, and there will be no problems, right? Try the Geo method on old tanks, and you'll be pleasantly surprised at how easy tank operation can be. It's just raw sewerage... No big deal. We all have real problems with our TTs to worry about, an artificially created "poo is nasty" problem isn't one of them.

Camp on and have fun! It's just poo.

Craig Bailey
New England
2007 Chevy 2500HD crew
2015 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:15 AM   #12
Site Team

Fill up a gallon bucket with water and manually pour it in the bowl while holding the flush lever down.

Something is not right with it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:38 AM   #13

We use our tanks for poo. One thing we were told years ago was to make sure to add at least 10% water to the tank after dumping. So if one has a 60 gallon tank, make sure to add 6 gallons of water. Also was suggested to do a squirt of blue Dawn every other dumping. And if traveling, put a large bag of ice (minus the bag of course) in the tank to help clear the sides.

What type of toilet treatment product are folks using? Just curious.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post

Once upon a time there was such a thing as a recirculating toilet but I've never seen one in an RV. They were only used on boats as far as I know. Even with those, the water was looked blue and not brown,.
I am working in a shop that services Prevost coach buses and they still use the recirculating toilet... The concept is disgusting but still widely used. Glad RV's have moved away from that setup! They are nothing more then rolling port a potties...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbailey View Post
I can think of no good reason to arbitrarily prohibit poo in the black tank.
Because SWMBO says so - so let it be written, so let it be done...

Which I realise is stupid because she ain't the one out dumping the tanks...
Old 09-02-2016, 09:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbailey View Post
I can think of no good reason to arbitrarily prohibit poo in the black tank. Just keep the tank wet and flushed, and there will be no problems, right? Try the Geo method on old tanks, and you'll be pleasantly surprised at how easy tank operation can be. It's just raw sewerage... No big deal. We all have real problems with our TTs to worry about, an artificially created "poo is nasty" problem isn't one of them.

Camp on and have fun! It's just poo.
I agree. Having my own full bathroom is half the reason we have a TT. I can't imagine going into a nasty truck stop bathroom when I have a perfectly good clean one in the TT. And I know my wife would never tolerate having to do that.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:16 AM   #17
Site Team

SHMBO, she who must be odd?

My buddies wife wanted a rv without a kitchen because she does not cook?
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 09-02-2016, 10:26 AM   #18

Everywhere we've camped so far, has had unusually nice vault toilets. We use them when they're available. As we get more into off grid camping, we'll use our own bathroom as intended.

Someone asked what people are using in their tanks, I have some of this stuff, couple different 'flavors' if that's the correct term.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Unfortunately the way they packed this, when I cut open the box, my knife went straight through the bag inside and those things are STRONG smelling. It also dyed the 'contents' of the black tank pink which surprised me a bit when I went to the dump station last time.. not the color I was expecting. Product seems to work well.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine71-76 View Post
We use our tanks for poo. One thing we were told years ago was to make sure to add at least 10% water to the tank after dumping. So if one has a 60 gallon tank, make sure to add 6 gallons of water. Also was suggested to do a squirt of blue Dawn every other dumping. And if traveling, put a large bag of ice (minus the bag of course) in the tank to help clear the sides.

What type of toilet treatment product are folks using? Just curious.
Yup.. Add plenty of water after dumping and flushing. Although we have public facilities at our seasonal CG, Dw and I prefer to use our own.

I use the Dometic 3 N 1 dissolvable tank cleaner/treatment pouches. So far so good. Drop one in the bowl full of water after tank dump/flush, let it dissolve in the bowl then flush it down. I probably use 2 pouches between tank dumps. One right away, then another when tank reads 1/2 full.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-02-2016, 11:56 AM   #20
Site Team

We add nothing that nature does not provide except tp.
Gator roll-up bed cover