Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #1

Sewer fumes and spray back from toilet

Bought a used 2003 trailer that had been setting for a couple of years. My daughter is living in the unit. Just got it set up on a site Friday evening. There was no problem that nite but moved it to another site yesterday and hooked up the sewer hose. It has developed a terrific smell. She is trouble shooting it now. Told her to put about 10 gals of water down the toilet, then pull the plunger and see if she can determine if the water is draining. I'm in SC and she is in NC (3 1/2 hrs drive) so I'm not on site to help. Would like to hear from anyone that has similar problems and what the cause might be. The toilet is holding water so the problem occurs when you try to flush. She described it a burp and spray back of the waste.

Thanks!!!
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #2

Sewer fumes and spray back from toilet

This is what happens usually when the holding tanks are full. If you are sure the black water tank is empty then it is probably the vent plugged making the toilet want to burp when flushed.
If your daughter is not familiar with rv toilets let her know that it is very important to put a few gallons of water in the tank after you have drained the tanks and always use lots of water in toilet for each flush. Also don't leave the black water tank valve open that's where you get the dreaded pyramid hope this helps. If the vent is plugged you may have to run a plummets snake down from the roof
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #3

It could also be a plug of paper from not using enough water with each flush.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #4

Ed, that was my first thought.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:04 AM   #5

Will post follow up when I get to see the trailer. My son-in-law removed both vent caps and that took care of the flushing issue. Apparently when the roof was replaced sometime back they caps were pushed too far down to function properly. Will see the unit next Saturday and get to the bottom of the issue. Thanks for the input.

MOHOK
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #6

Yep, venting issue.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote