Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-07-2015, 05:04 PM   #1

Shade string ?

I have restrung 3 of my shades in my 2012 Jayflight 29 RLDS in the 3 + yeras I have owned it. Now another one is ready to snap. I bought the restring kit from my dealer but I'm wondering if there is something better to restring them with, maybe fishing line go something stronger then the stock stuff.
The hardest part I think is getting the the right tension at the bottom where they hook to that little knob on the wall. Any suggestion on doing that would be appreciated also.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:27 PM   #2

I bought 300 feet of 1.4 mm string from Fix My Blinds (clicky). I think blind cord will resist breaking longer than any substitute cord; and 300 feet will last me a long time.

All of my broken strings have been at the bottom of the string, close to where the string attaches to the adjustment spool. My theory - and it is just a theory at this point - is that traveling with the blinds down makes for a lot of movement at the bottom of the blinds, damaging the strings. We are going to be traveling with the blinds up from now on, hopefully to reduce that damage. The shorter length of the blinds when raised should reduce the movement.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 06:06 PM   #3

I know they say that the tension on the string should only be tight enough to hold the shade up. I think it should be pretty loose.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in calif View Post
I have restrung 3 of my shades in my 2012 Jayflight 29 RLDS in the 3 + yeras I have owned it. Now another one is ready to snap. I bought the restring kit from my dealer but I'm wondering if there is something better to restring them with, maybe fishing line go something stronger then the stock stuff.
The hardest part I think is getting the the right tension at the bottom where they hook to that little knob on the wall. Any suggestion on doing that would be appreciated also.

Hi Joe....we've talked a few times on this forum as I have the same Jayco as you. And similar problems. I've got 2 shade strings to replace right now. Found some cord at a fabric store....don't know if it's any better. Also having problems with that flimsy curtain material down the sides of the windows. Our rockers in the living area have taken out both sides, so I've removed all the material around those 2 windows and 2 in the bedroom. Looking for ideas on replacing those. The 2014's and 15's have a plastic moulding down the side of the windows and across the bottom. Can order that, but it is pricey. I'm away from the trailer till spring....so can only day dream at this point. Don

On Permanent site at Gillies Lake, Bruce Peninsula
LilBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:44 PM   #5

Thanks for the help I appreciate it.
LiLbigfoot, I'm always telling my wife to be careful with the chairs because I'm afraid of her hitting the L brackets that are the bottom of the curtains. I thought about removimng them but have to come up with a way to cover the holes.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:48 PM   #6

Found a coloured crayon type filler at HD that is soft and easy to work with. The colour is a light tan and matches the wall pretty well. So, I took off the brackets on 4 windows and used a small flat blade screwdriver to work the filler into the screw holes. Smoothed it off and I've got a pretty good match.

On Permanent site at Gillies Lake, Bruce Peninsula
LilBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:26 AM   #7

I just had a string break on one of my blinds this past weekend... how do you go about restringing them? Is it fairly easy/difficult?
Old 11-10-2015, 10:21 AM   #8

I would try some 100lb test braided fishing line. That'll never break and it relatively thin.
jloco is offline   Reply With Quote