Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #1

Shady Campsite, a MUST!

Being the newbie we are, this past wkd was our 2nd time camping in the 22fb. Here in Missouri, temps are hitting 100! Thank GOD for A/C, running water, fridge, and microwave (we were tent campers !

I do have a question:
I noticed our fridge on shore power was loosing box temp a tad during hottest part of the day. I guess this fridge doesn't even have a compressor, I sure couldn't find it! I guess it uses some other sorce of heat X-fer??? I switched it over to propane and box temps got better. When we got home and unloaded, I plugged into power and box temp seemed fine. I'm kinda baffled, any ideas????

As always, thanks for any input!!
wkc
wkc22fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
Site Team

These fridges do seem to cool better on propane when it is real hot. If you have kids and they open the door all day staring in the frig that hurts too(I know from experience). So we keep a cooler full of ice for the drinks. There is also a frig fan mod that helps some too.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...highlight=frig
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #3

Although I haven't tried it (yet) I heard that you can put a fan behind your fridge to help evacuate hot air from the access point - this will supposedly help as well.

As a father of 6 kids, I also agree with the outside cooler for drinks - much easier than trips in and out of the camper.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #4

Fridge fan, HUH! That's an awesome idea. Unfortunately we don't have kids, but we were in and out of the fridge while prepping lunch. I was releived to see the fridge cool when I got home on power!

I guess I shoulda noted some of the nice features of the Jayco's 22 TT:
Exterior power receptacles to plug in a fan for heat of the afternoon breeze!
Exterior shower head, this was extemely handy to simply cool off and rinse the cast iron skillet!
Of course the oversized A/C unit that really works well with the T-Stat on low fan setting, I'm a HVAC control tech so this is very important to me!
Power awning, so nice to just roll her up when leaving campsite!
OVERALL, we couldn't be happier with our new 22fb! We are SO glad we sold the pontoon boat last year and made this investment!!!
Old 07-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #5

Your refrigerator is a gas absorption type. It has no compressor and uses ammonia as a refrigerant...no moving parts except the happy blue fans that you can add on. Do an internet search on "How does an RV refrigerator work?" and there is lots of interesting information.

Many folks, myself included have added muffin fans above the condenser coils near the roof which help greatly by forcing air across the condenser rather than relying on convection.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkc22fb View Post
Fridge fan, HUH! That's an awesome idea. Unfortunately we don't have kids, but we were in and out of the fridge while prepping lunch. I was releived to see the fridge cool when I got home on power!

I guess I shoulda noted some of the nice features of the Jayco's 22 TT:
Exterior power receptacles to plug in a fan for heat of the afternoon breeze!
Exterior shower head, this was extemely handy to simply cool off and rinse the cast iron skillet!
Of course the oversized A/C unit that really works well with the T-Stat on low fan setting, I'm a HVAC control tech so this is very important to me!
Power awning, so nice to just roll her up when leaving campsite!
OVERALL, we couldn't be happier with our new 22fb! We are SO glad we sold the pontoon boat last year and made this investment!!!
Being from AZ where it is HOT....we camped last weekend and we had a fan blowing in the beer tent and when we were up near the TT we had a mister going which cooled everyone off by about 20 degrees!!! They are a wonderful thing!!!
Kathie

2011 Jayco Flight G2 23FB
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Moving Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:36 AM   #7

Always use a cooler no matter kids or not. It will keep the wear and tear down on your trailer If you think about it. I really wanted a trailer with the outside access to the bathroom for this very reason.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #8

Yeah, we had an issue with the fridge on electric this past trip on the 4th. Temps were in the 90's and the fridge was running about 45. We only got the camper in September and this was the hottest trip so far. We also didn't have electric so were on a genny when possible. I switched to propane and the temp got down to about 38. I felt better.

I then got to thinking. A gas powered lawn mower, car or other tool is more powerful then it's electric conterpart. I'm assuming a fridge would be the same. For now on, I'm running the fridge on gas. The only exception would be when I'm home and load the fridge a day or two before leaving for a trip. I could load the fridge and it would simply stay closed until we got to the campground. Should help keep it cool.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:52 AM   #9

read this article on how RV refers work. Very informative
http://bryantrv.com/reefer.html
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #10

Nice article Jim! Now that I'm aware of the gas absorbtion system, it makes sense that the fridge struggles with extreme hot weather on electric! Very nice option to switch over to propane isn't it!!!

cm11559ps, I've been to Loyd Park many times. We where there when they opened the Joe Pool Lake and the parks. I grew up in GP and Arlington area. I haven't been to the lake in 9yrs+ since transplanting up to Missouri. I bet the trees are really getting huge!

Happy Camping to all!!!
Old 07-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkc22fb View Post
Nice article Jim! Now that I'm aware of the gas absorbtion system, it makes sense that the fridge struggles with extreme hot weather on electric! Very nice option to switch over to propane isn't it!!!

cm11559ps, I've been to Loyd Park many times. We where there when they opened the Joe Pool Lake and the parks. I grew up in GP and Arlington area. I haven't been to the lake in 9yrs+ since transplanting up to Missouri. I bet the trees are really getting huge!

Happy Camping to all!!!
Was that meant for me because I have no clue what you're talking about. Lol

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #12

Sorry cm, I evidently don't either. That was meant for another post (TexasT)! Sorry!