Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2017, 11:53 PM   #1

Question shopping time! seeking opinions on JF 25BH vs WH 28BDSH vs WH 29BH

We currently have a 98 Eagle 12UDK pop up which we bought used about 10 years ago and it has served us exceedingly well. It's been really good to us with no real issues. But it's time to move upwards and onwards so here we are mulling over the decision to get a big 'ol TT. We think we've narrowed it down to the following:

2017 Jay Flight SLX 267BHSW
2017 Jay Feather 25BH
2017 White Hawk 28DSBH
2018 White Hawk 29BH

Our checklist includes:

- low weight (our TV is an 07 Yukon XL 1500)
- bunkbeds
- big slide w/ dinette & sofa
- outdoor kitchen

The Jay Flight SLX 267BHSW fits the bill but the stick and tin construction has me concerned about possible longevity.

I know the 28DSBH doesn't have an outdoor kitchen; several places seem to have them on clearance at the moment so it's on the list for price purposes.

The Jay Flight 27BHS has a floorplan that fits the bill but is too heavy for me to feel comfortable with pairing up with my TV.

Truth be told, I'm not a huge fan of the exterior graphics on the 2018 WH 29BH and it's a bit north of what I want to spend but that master bedroom w/ huge front window is really impressive.

Feedback is appreciated, especially from current owners. I'm new to the forums and I have to say how nice it is to see the wealth of knowledge here + general positive attitude. Truth be told, I'm not a handy kinda guy and I've learned a ton from just going through posts in the forums.
cityguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:55 PM   #2

I looked at the 26bhsw and the 25bh before ultimately going to with the 27bhs. I didn't look at the other models you mentioned, but of those first two, I definitely liked the 25bh better. It is essentially the same layout, but with many more features. Just the outdoor kitchen alone might be worth the upgrade. I eventually went with the 27bhs for the bigger bed up front and we got a better deal than the 25bh.
Lahey Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:10 AM   #3

We have the 267 for just over 1 year now and we are very happy with it. The one draw back is getting cool air to the lower bunk. No AC vent in there so it does get pretty warm. We use a standing fan to push some cool air in and my daughter (8 years old) seems fine with it. Other than that it works very well for our family of 4.
We don't have an outdoor kitchen and I'm not sure it is available with one, however it wasn't on our list of things we wanted, so never looked into it.
racertoms27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:06 AM   #4

We went with the 267 after tenting for many years. Cost was a determining factor over some of the other issues. We love it for a family of 4.
We pull with a Toyota Sequoia and are at our weight limits according to the CAT scales.
I just use my Coleman stove outside as my outdoor kitchen, I wouldn't mind a kitchen but just wasn't in the budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FormerTenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:38 PM   #5

We have a 2017 jay feather 25bh. We just got back from a trip a few hours ago. We bought it for the same reasons as you. I feel that we made the right decision. It is perfect for us. I tow it with a RAM 1500. You can do a search of my posts and you can see all of my weights verified by a CAT Scale. I do remember that my tongue weigh is 900lbs. It is a great floorplan. Plenty of room inside if it rains. The outside kitchen is used every single trip and the awning is massive. No complaints and the fit and finish on ours is great as well. Any specific questions, just let me know.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2017, 03:02 PM   #6

Hey we started out with a '99 12udk also! This summer we purchased a 2017 25 BH and also couldn't be happier. As others have said, it is very spacious inside and the outdoor kitchen has been even more convenient than we expected. We just returned from our 5th trip and so far everything has been great and really seems like it's put together well. I'm pulling it with an 05 Silverado 1500 and it's...so so. The trailer is within its towing and payload capacity but barely. Not really sure how the shorter wheelbase of the Yukon would handle it. As far as any gripes, if I had to find one I'd say the smaller holding tank size(black and grey)would be my only one. May be a big deal for some and not for others. Good luck!
Adanick2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adanick2 View Post
Hey we started out with a '99 12udk also! This summer we purchased a 2017 25 BH and also couldn't be happier. As others have said, it is very spacious inside and the outdoor kitchen has been even more convenient than we expected. We just returned from our 5th trip and so far everything has been great and really seems like it's put together well. I'm pulling it with an 05 Silverado 1500 and it's...so so. The trailer is within its towing and payload capacity but barely. Not really sure how the shorter wheelbase of the Yukon would handle it. As far as any gripes, if I had to find one I'd say the smaller holding tank size(black and grey)would be my only one. May be a big deal for some and not for others. Good luck!
Yes the smaller holding tank size could be a problem for some. We only camp at full hook ups and actually commented on this trip that the tanks were small and we had to dump them a few times.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk