Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 05:12 AM   #21

Gotta do what's right for you. DH likes GMC/Chevie and for business, needs a truck with a bed-lid. After 3 gassers, the TT caused him to rethink #4 and he went diesel. In chatting with another diesel camping pal - he and DH concurred that they'll never go back; the DWs agree from the safety angle, less white-knuckling on nasty roads.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Old 11-09-2015, 06:54 AM   #22
Site Team

Should I join the 3/4 ton diesel club$$$$?

I have never talked with a diesel owner who wished he bought a gasser.
I agree, if you don't need one in the future a gasser will do the job.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 11-09-2015, 07:27 AM   #23

FYI- I know of 2 people that bought diesels and will never own one again. It goes both ways! If you drive a lot everyday, a diesel may be for you. If you would use it around town as a daily driver, then a new diesel may have issues. The DEF systems screwed up a perfectly good truck in my opinion.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:49 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by doonkin View Post
Hi-advice please.
Should I buy a 3/4 ton deisel. I am towing a 5500lb trailer- then add average cargo for average famx2 kids.
I'm towing w a Nissan Titan w 7000lb max. I feel the need to upgrade to a 3/4 2500 diesel dodge/ford/gmc. They are sooo expensive, and I'm not in construction so I can't write any of it off tax wise?

Short story. Bought a 154bh, then realizing I needed a bigger truck than the fams suv- rapidly pulled the trigger on a Nissan Titan. Worked perfect. Within 6 months we admitted we'd bought to small a camper- I went to trade for a 184bh- but
way bigger w a 23mbh. 2000 lb to 5500lbs overnight.
I've towed the big camper for a year now w no problems except for a few times(very hi wind- up big hills w air on on full). I service the **** out of it even tho there's only 15000 miles on it.
I'm now looking to bigger, farther journeys( weeks on end, 1000+ mile trips.
Bottom line. I'm paid up in full and relatively happy, but know I'm pushing/asking a lot from my1/2ton.
Should I go 50k into debt n buy the inevitable diesel monster?

Sorry for being long winded��
No matter what you choose I would caution you to do your homework. Just beacuse you buy a diesel does not mean that the truck is going to do what you want effectively. Whatever flavor you pick get on a forum and reserch the vehicle years, models, rears and tranny setups especially if you are buying used.

Over the last few years Diesels have evolved tremendously with emmissions and with that came the introduction of DEF. Pre DEF a lot of engines went through a phase of re-gen that requires the engine to be run at high temps to treat the exhaust system. Every brand has it's ticks, some more that others and some just delete everything (another expense).

My point is that with gas it's pretty easy, engine, tranny and rear. With Diesel it's mainly engine and you don't want to jump into a diesel without knowing about the possible ticks.

Also confirm which rear pairs best with your engine and tranny based on desired use. Like this forum the truck forums are a wealth of information that could help you avert a wrong decision.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 11-09-2015, 10:23 AM   #25

I do use my existing 1/2 ton-gas as my everyday - but only a mile from work, so not wracking up lots of miles.
Boy, the debate over diesel/gas is like Reps or Dems.
I would like a stronger vehicle at some point but can hold out. Go old-school and save like folks used to do- not finance like everything now.

My Titan is not w factory tow package,
So it's 7000lb max w/out tow gears.

I think there is an in between, if you are only towing 5500lbs
Old 11-09-2015, 12:50 PM   #26

If you are only driving 1 mile to work, you will do more damage to a diesel than a gasser. Diesels tend to take much longer to warm up and if you don't run it hard, you'll just load it up with condensation.

If you are concerned with the way your Titan handles the TT, look into getting a much better WDH like a ProPride or Hensley. Makes the towing experience absolutely wonderful. I tow with one hand on the wheel no matter what the wind conditions are.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
Old 11-09-2015, 01:56 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedAWDAstro View Post
If you are only driving 1 mile to work, you will do more damage to a diesel than a gasser. Diesels tend to take much longer to warm up and if you don't run it hard, you'll just load it up with condensation.

snip....
This is one of the primary reasons I didn't buy a diesel when my time came. I towed my 28 BHBE with my 2012 Sierra 1500 for more than a year. It towed okay, but just wasn't as comfortable as I would have liked. I was just barely within specs on the truck, and with a little one on the way, that was changing QUICK. I only drive 7 miles to work, and we're mostly weekenders for RVing, so a diesel wouldn't have been the right choice for my usage pattern, AND I didn't want to spend that much money.

So I ended up with a RAM 2500 with 6.4 L Hemi. It fits our life and usage pattern perfectly. It has more than enough capacity to handle everything I throw at it. It tows my BHBE great, and is a great truck for my family in every other way. I bought new and financed, but I got a great rate, and I plan to keep the truck for a LONG time after it's paid off. If I had it to do over again, I would have gotten it instead of my GMC in the first place, but you know what they say about hind sight...

I'm not knocking diesels either. If I had a different usage pattern, I would have considered it pretty seriously. I could just never justify the extra cost because I have no REAL NEED for one, so it is what it is. And I have no regrets on my choice of truck.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Old 11-10-2015, 01:22 AM   #28

I bought the Ford F-250 Diesel and couldn't be happier. But we have no kids to feel and school. A friend of mine went with a 16 F-150 with the Eco-boost. He saves money and has the power when he needs it. Who says we can't compromise? Happy Campiing.

2016 Jay Flight 27RFS
2015 Ford F-250 6.7 Powertrain
Old 11-10-2015, 11:30 AM   #29

Get your hands on a tow rating brochure, Trailer life offers a good one, and compare tow ratings. If you feel the need to upgrade, several 1/2 tons are rated higher than your Nissan. If you decide to go with a 3/4 gas, make sure you check the rear end ratio, some of them are rated not musch more than some 1/2 tons. Example, I had a 2004 GMC 3/4 ton gas extended cab with 4:10 rear end that I wanted to trade for a slightly newer crew cab. I could not find another Chevy 3/4 ton gas with that rear end, every thing I found was 3:73, which is rated around 3000 lbs less than the 4:10. Ended up getting a diesel in order to tow my 8000lb trailer. New GM 2500 gas all come with the 4:10 rear end.

2013 Jayco Flight 32TSBH
:USA::USA:
Old 11-10-2015, 03:55 PM   #30
Site Team

I`m pulling the same weight trailer (5500 dry about 6500 loaded) with a 12 yr old 2500 gasser. Does the job. And today`s gassers have more power and torque then mine. My conclusion is no you do not need a diesel.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:44 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
I`m pulling the same weight trailer (5500 dry about 6500 loaded) with a 12 yr old 2500 gasser. Does the job. And today`s gassers have more power and torque then mine. My conclusion is no you do not need a diesel.

My camper is probably 14,000 pounds loaded. I'm pulling it with a 20 year old one ton Chevy with a 454. It does fine. My wife works at a Dodge dealership. The service manager there tells me the 6.4 Ram will run circles around my truck.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:45 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
My camper is probably 14,000 pounds loaded. I'm pulling it with a 20 year old one ton Chevy with a 454. It does fine. My wife works at a Dodge dealership. The service manager there tells me the 6.4 Ram will run circles around my truck.
Until you hit the Rockies and the infamous gear hold feature kicks in, then the 6.4 becomes a dog. I chose the Ecoboost over the 6.4 for this reason.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:53 PM   #33

I feel I'm educated now when it comes to buying my next truck.
- I don't need diesel.
- towing 5500+1000 cargo/passengers a 1/2 ton gasser is enough if it's Max'd - can tow 10-12000 lbs.
- still got 1 eye in a lightly used 3/4 2500/250 should one come on market- I can wait.
-even tho I'm saying no diesel, the new Titan xd 5l diesel coming on market intrigues me-see what that does in real-world.
- don't understand fords beefier Eco-engine-if towing drops to under 10mpg towing, what's Eco about it.
-I won't trade apples for apples. Various dealers I called suggested TT's that can tow 8+k. I will trade up to moderate overkill w a 20/12k max.
thx for all the great points-of-view-��
Old 11-11-2015, 08:21 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by blderman View Post
Until you hit the Rockies and the infamous gear hold feature kicks in, then the 6.4 becomes a dog. I chose the Ecoboost over the 6.4 for this reason.

There is no "infamous gear hold feature"; that is a chosen input by the driver. The driver in that test chose not to manage his gearing and engaged the manual shift function without actually using it.

The RAM with 6.4 is a formidable beast all around and a VERY capable truck.

And, say what you will, but your Ecoboost doesn't have 3K in payload capacity.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 11-11-2015, 09:56 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
There is no "infamous gear hold feature"; that is a chosen input by the driver. The driver in that test chose not to manage his gearing and engaged the manual shift function without actually using it.

The RAM with 6.4 is a formidable beast all around and a VERY capable truck.

And, say what you will, but your Ecoboost doesn't have 3K in payload capacity.
1) I can show you the article directly from Ram stating there is a gear hold feature built into the tuning. Under heavy load the engine de-rates. Look it up, it's real.

2) I never said anything about my truck having a 3,000lb payload. Where did you come up with that?

Having towed with the Ecoboost and the 6.4 I can say with confidence that the 6.4 cannot keep up with an Ecoboost.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:01 AM   #36

Quote:
- I don't need diesel.
- towing 5500+1000 cargo/passengers a 1/2 ton gasser is enough if it's Max'd - can tow 10-12000 lbs.
- still got 1 eye in a lightly used 3/4 2500/250 should one come on market- I can wait.
-even tho I'm saying no diesel, the new Titan xd 5l diesel coming on market intrigues me-see what that does in real-world.
- don't understand fords beefier Eco-engine-if towing drops to under 10mpg towing, what's Eco about it.
-I won't trade apples for apples. Various dealers I called suggested TT's that can tow 8+k. I will trade up to moderate overkill w a 20/12k max.
The Eco part of the Ecoboost is that you can get 20+mpg hwy with it. But when you are ready to tow it makes power like a small diesel. None of the V8s on the market can match it's ability to tow, especially at higher elevation.

Mine is a crew cab long bed with 34" tires and I can cruise at 65mph and get 21mpg easy.

All that being said if I could afford it right now I would be in a Ram 2500 Cummins. There just isn't a comparison.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:05 AM   #37

Quote:
- I don't need diesel.
I agree with you. My trailer is a little heavier with all the gear and stuff, but I still tow with a half ton. I did add a Hellwig assist springs in the rear, sway bar, and I upgraded my hitch setup to a WDH....Doing just fine.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:09 AM   #38

Something to keep in mind. A 4.10 rear end will handle about 3,000 lbs over a 3.73. Some cases its hard to find a older veh with a 4.10. For about $1k you can have a 410 rear end installed, and they will reprogram the truck to accept it.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:01 PM   #39

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
blderman what did you really proof? To me it didn't proof anything except a noisy Ford.
I have had more Fords in my life than any other make I just was happy with the product and did what I expected from the vehicles. After I bought a couple of Ford Aerostar's I lost my faith in Ford. I drove the Ford Screw and for some reason I wasn't sure of that truck. So went shopping to the Dodge, liked the 1/2 truck with the 5.7 HEMI and it does what I expect from it.
I not expect it to go 75 mph on a long incline pass, I'm not into truck racing. If the Ford wants to pass me fine, If Toyota and Chevy wants to pass me fine. As long I have comfort in driving my combo and it does the job I'm happy. Next time I go shopping it might be a Ford again or maybe a Chevy or Toyota. We all make our own choices by information we get and short through. Also I'm looking at the dollars and sense.

Arkhillbilly: I had in the late 70's an E150 with hwy gears put could pull the 2.5 ton TT comfortable. After going to 4.10 it was a big improvement. It maintained a proper hwy speed for those days pulling this TT. That time I think the 3.51 was 225 HP. Now my 2014 5.7 L (3.51) HEMI puts out 395 HP. It didn't change the fuel consumption when traveling loaded with a TT with about the same weight. Driving the single truck empty certainly did.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
Old 11-11-2015, 01:37 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by blderman View Post
1) I can show you the article directly from Ram stating there is a gear hold feature built into the tuning. Under heavy load the engine de-rates. Look it up, it's real.

2) I never said anything about my truck having a 3,000lb payload. Where did you come up with that?

Having towed with the Ecoboost and the 6.4 I can say with confidence that the 6.4 cannot keep up with an Ecoboost.
IIRC, in that test, he punched the manual shift so he could see what gear he was in, which to my understanding changes the shift programming (ERS Mode according to the manual). Perhaps I'm wrong. Either way though, if the RAM is protecting itself from blowing up by racing up a hill, I'm really okay with that. I don't need to be first to the top, so long as I get there safe every time.

My Ram with 6.4 has 3K payload; no readily available EcoBoost powered truck has that capacity. An ecoboost might beat me up the hill a few times yanking IT'S max load, but it will not "run circles" day in and day out hauling the RAM's max load. Plus, a 3/4 ton truck is designed to work that hard every day of its life.

My point: Max out the Ford, then put that load on the RAM (which will be under it's max) and put them next to eachother and run them. Then run them like that every day. My bet is the RAM will come out on top in the end.

Don't get me wrong, the EcoBoost is a fine motor, very capable. But it's still a 1/2T class truck. AND the heavy duty RAM with 6.4 is no slouch either.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Closed Thread